997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Sport Driving School--Barber MS Park

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 04:38 PM
KNK123
Rennlist Member

Location: Land of Fruits and Nuts, but the weather is perfect.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The instructors are great and there is plenty of time in the car. Been through the Masters Plus class and can't say enough good things about the PSDS. You will get out of it as much as you put in. If you're serious, I recommend reading the first Speed Secrets book before you go for the first class. It will give you a head start in the theory they will teach you and will IMO allow you to squeeze more out of the class.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 AM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

DMoore - that's great to hear. I'm a PCA instructor as well, so am glad to hear the prerequisite course is a good time. I'll form my own opinion once I've been (end of May), but it's good to get a cross section of perspectives nonetheless.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The facility is great, the instructors are fantastic. The cars, well we already know about those...
The school is impeccably run and choreographed.
If you have no experience driving anything but a Chevy Cavalier down main street in Hooterville and have never driven a track, you will find the experience fantastic.

Unfortunately I left unhappy.
After thinking about it for a few days I'd say I was devastatingly disappointed.
I cannot believe I dropped that kind of coin to receive remedial instruction.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:13 PM
ddd269
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just signed up for the 6/28~6/29 Performance driving course. Got the hotel and the flight booked...

Staring at the clock and calendar... They won't move any faster.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:20 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by X51
DMoore - that's great to hear. I'm a PCA instructor as well, so am glad to hear the prerequisite course is a good time. I'll form my own opinion once I've been (end of May), but it's good to get a cross section of perspectives nonetheless.
My only caveat is that I was an utter novice when I went to PSDS. I'd never been on the track, never done an AX or DE. I got hooked as a result of my experience there. At my present level the Performance class would be pretty basic, but I imagine they'd let me start at Master's if I was going now. My plan, however, is to hit the Master's Plus in the fall. I KNOW I'll learn plenty at that class.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 04-13-2012, 02:16 AM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd like to attend one of these schools. I'm relatively new to driving a Porsche and I would appreciate being able to learn the car's limits a bit better in a safe environment where I'm not limited by traffic and breaking the law. I've auto-xed and attended track days and performance driving events years ago but not in a vehicle of this caliber.

I don't have aspirations of racing my 997 since it's my daily driver but I just want to be able to learn what it feels to push the limit, kick the tail out and respond to other situations at speed.

I read that Porsche was building a facility in southern California for driving events and such. I'm located near there and hopefully I can check that out someday.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:28 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Smile

I just returned from the two day performance course. We had much better weather than skibum did. I had a great time probably because I am relatively new to track driving having done only one season of DE events (4) and a lapping event with a coach for 1 hr and the two hours of solo lapping. This was all on the same racetrack (Pacific Raceways in Seattle area). As previously mentioned the instructors are great and the mix of cars fantastic. I can see skibum's point of being disappointed though. If you are fairly well advanced it may seem a bit too remedial. For me, and maybe for others it takes a while to learn a new track, especially one as technical as Barber. Otherwise you are going to get in a lot of trouble in a hurry if you think you are in a different section of the track than you really are. Some pick up the track layout quickly; others it takes more than a few drive arounds in a van to really feel confident in the track; hence the lead and follow exercises. The off track exercises were good but I wish I had more track time. The off road exercise in the Cayenne was surprisingly enjoyable largely due to Daniel; one of the lead instructors. Most of my perceived gains were side by side with an instructor and then at the end a hot lap with the instructor driving the 991 S brsikly making those tires chirp and sing.

I also met some great people in our class having the group dinner after the first night and other meals as well. All talk about cars, mods, tires, brakes, GT3...you know... rennlist stuff.
This week had the performance and masters back-to-back. The fastest drivers in our bunch I think were a group of Guatemalans who drive racing events in Central America and some instructor drivers , one from germany being tried out as potential PSDS instructor experiencing the course from the "student" perspective. And we also had a former Superbike motorcycle rider who was fastest in AutoX. Talk about "ringers".
But they kept altering the groups around the try to pair up those of similar skill level keeping the groups in size from 2-4. driving on track 6 speed 997s, 991 with PDK, CaymanR. Off track exercises on 991 (skidpad); boxsterS and Panamera turbo (autoX); caymanS, 991 for driving technique ; heel-toe)
If I did not have to get to work later in the week I would have stayed on to do the Masters as there were openings and they were discounting the fill-ins.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:31 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

briskly
Old 04-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Skibum
Banned

Daniel is quite the character.
Glad you had fun.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
It was warm and humid this week.
A 1 hour storm on day 2. Cars were 991s, 997s, Cayman, Cayman R, Panamera. You get to drive them all.

Overall a pretty fun time.
I'll be interested to hear about your experiences when you get back.
Skibum - what's your take on the Cayman R having now driven it back to back with the 997? I am considering swapping out my 997.1 for a lightly used 2012 CR. Comments?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Skibum
Banned

You know... those Cayman R's are fun cars.
They sure are easier to drive than a 911.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

You know... those Cayman R's are fun cars.
They sure are easier to drive than a 911.
Did it grab yer soul? Would you miss your 997 if you switched? All subjective of course...
Old 04-13-2012, 11:33 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

CaymanR is great on autocross and on chicane like corners. The 997s and 991s were intoxicating when you are WOT on one of the 4 straightaways on Barber track. That is where I think the cayman will fall back a bit. Of course it depends on the driver.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Skibum
Banned

Oh SURE Seapar... rub it in....
I never got even close to WOT in my group.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Oh SURE Seapar... rub it in....
I never got even close to WOT in my group.
You were with the baby diaper group...

Quick Reply: Porsche Sport Driving School--Barber MS Park