Sponsored by:

GTS Mesh Grille Inserts - Done

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 159 Posts
Default GTS Mesh Grille Inserts - Done

Had the FVD Brombacher black mesh grille inserts installed today The sharp-eyed will spy that I also had the vertical grille bar removed from the outer openings.
Here are a couple of sets of Before & After pics. The difference is not dramatic, but I'm happy with the change.
I did not do the install myself...my skills fall woefully below my expectations.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:21 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks great! I did the Lowes screen door mesh on my 06. Just makes me feel better that something is between the AC condensor and the outside world. No noticeable difference in water or oil temp.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:53 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

When you remove the front bumper to clean debris out take a can of flat black engine paint and spray those radiators black.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:45 AM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow looks great!!! This is exactly what I'm looking for! would you mine sharing who installed them for you? I'm some what close to LA and will be willing to drive up to get them installed!

Please PM me with where you purchased the grill and your installer info!

Thank you!
Old 10-18-2011, 01:52 AM
2Utes
Track Day

Looks real good. Nice touch with the vertical bar removal as well.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:09 AM
ricm
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I drove through a 1/2 mile long storm of fornicating grasshoppers recently and when I arrived home discovered not only splattered hopper guts on the Xpel, mirrors and wheel wells but a 1/2 dozen critters crawling out the front of the bumper. I vacuumed these and another dozen or so dead ones (and the usual leaves, twigs, styrofoam peanuts and paper) inside the bumper shroud and seriously considered installing a set of grill inserts. I realize the idea of the mesh is to prevent large crud but with the guards installed one would have to remove the bumper in order to clean the interior. Perhaps periodic vacuuming vs the guards may be easier? Or perhaps install the sides for radiator protection and forget the middle panel? Or don't drive the car during hopper season?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
When you remove the front bumper to clean debris out take a can of flat black engine paint and spray those radiators black.
Wouldn't that have an impact on how well the radiators worked?
Seems ill-advised to me...especially after reducing the airflow (even a tiny amount) by installing the mesh grids.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:46 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Could you please post some impressions of the kit (quality / durability / simplicity)?
Would sure appreciate some idea of the price of the full installation if possible.
Many thanks.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:32 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I also had the FVD Brombacher grilles installed on my GTS a few weeks ago. My Porsche dealer installed them for me, said it took 3 hours. IIRC they charged me around $300 for labor - and the grilles themselves were around $260. The mechanic said it was actually a little more work to install them than he'd expected. The front bumper cover has to be removed and that's apparently a fair amount of work. The kit comes with mounting screws and a sealant (think silicon caulk) to attach the grilles.

I have PDK on my car so I had all 3 grilles mounted. If you have a manual you don't have the center radiator so in that event you'd only need the side grilles. A friend of mine who has a 6-spd GTS is having a set installed on her car today.

From what I've seen of the junk ingested by my car in the six months before I installed the grilles, I think very little of that would make it through the mesh so I'm not worried about the fact that I can no longer vacuum out the front scoop area. I track my car pretty regularly, and I was much more worried about the radiators getting dinged by high-speed debris than by a minor build up of junk (leaves, bugs, etc) in the scoop.

I really like OP's removal of the vertical slats - wish I'd thought of that.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera GTS
Old 10-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

My costs mirror those of DMoore. I had my favorite body shop put mine on...three hours of labor ($360). As I said in the opening post, it's not something I could have done myself.
As far as getting the small stuff that gets past the mesh OUT of the radiators...compressed air should work through the mesh grilles just fine.
Regarding the Brombacher kit, itself - the mesh grilles did not fit the openings without a little modification (nothing serious). And, the screws and sealant were not used to attach the mesh on my car. The body shop guy used compression fasteners around the edges. Should be a much more permanent installation.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:40 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow... very nice
Old 10-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

Just curious on why you chose FVD Brombacher grilles VS Rennline grilles or anyone else's? What deciding factors swayed you?
Old 10-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Looks really good, John.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:02 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wannabeproracer
Just curious on why you chose FVD Brombacher grilles VS Rennline grilles or anyone else's? What deciding factors swayed you?
Rennline's grilles for the GTS seem to have hit the market in just the last few weeks. I ordered mine from FVD Brombacher just before the Rennlines showed up. FVD's are slightly cheaper; Rennline claims to have a better mounting system. Frankly I think it's a toss up.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 10-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

I went with FVD Brombacher after waiting a (too) long time for Rennline to announce their kit for GTSs.

Quick Reply: GTS Mesh Grille Inserts - Done