Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time purchase...Anyone seen a 0 rev report before?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:02 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default First time purchase...Anyone seen a 0 rev report before?

In the process of purchasing a used 997.2 C2S. Inspection report came back with all 0's on the rev report.
Feeling pretty excited about this car having been so baby'd. Anyone ever see a 0 rev report?
Any tips/questions etc... that I should ask before pulling the trigger?
Old 10-07-2011, 07:03 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a PDK? If so you won't get any over revs.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:21 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SBPORSCHE
In the process of purchasing a used 997.2 C2S. Inspection report came back with all 0's on the rev report.
Feeling pretty excited about this car having been so baby'd. Anyone ever see a 0 rev report?
Ours was very nearly zero. It had fourteen ignitions in the first range and the rest all zeroes. (And that's still the report after three track days...) As for tips, the only one that occurs to me is a last review of the available options to make sure you won't be pining away for the body color console or some such thing. With all the examples available, you should be able to pick and choose exactly what you want. For a more realistic example, be sure to consider PASM, which I personally recommend, and the Sports Chrono which provides a lot more than the stopwatch mounted on the dash. All those are just matters of personal taste of course. My own inclination is to worry more about mechanical condition of a car than the options, so it sounds like you found a good choice.

Otherwise, we have found our 997.2 C2S to be very satisfactory and I can't think of a single caveat. Nothing at all to "look out for." Great car. You'll love it I predict.

Gary
Old 10-07-2011, 07:50 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

It's a manual so it seems almost too good to be true! The only option it's missing that I really wanted is the PSE...I'm ok with doing the Sharkwerks bypass.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:08 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
Actually you can get slight over revs into range one and two with PDK saw it on a friends Cayman BUT Range one and two are almost normal and Porsche does not get excited until you start seeing them in Range four and above. That is according to a PORSCHE master tech So enjoy your new toy
Old 10-07-2011, 10:40 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Saw one on my -06 C4S after the DME unit was replaced. The new DME reset the whole rev history which definitely had more than just zeros in it. See what you can find out about the maint. history on the car.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:10 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I am not convinced that ^ is true. While it is true that PDK will not allow a downshift that would initiate a mechanical over rev (a.k.a. money shift), I believe (and this is my personal opinion) that over revs can and do happen on a PDK. I have never seen a DEM readout of a PDK car, but I am betting there would be over revs if the rev limiter has been reached.

Excluding "missed downshifts" (a.k.a. money shift), why would a car with a manual transmission have over revs when the car is accelerating and hits the rev limiter and a car with PDK not do that? That makes no sense. They both have the same rev limiter and on both cars the fuel supply is cut off once the rev limiter is reached. So why wouldn't a PDK equipped car also record over revs?
Old 10-08-2011, 02:24 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Excluding "missed downshifts" (a.k.a. money shift), why would a car with a manual transmission have over revs when the car is accelerating and hits the rev limiter and a car with PDK not do that? That makes no sense. They both have the same rev limiter and on both cars the fuel supply is cut off once the rev limiter is reached. So why wouldn't a PDK equipped car also record over revs?
I've never had a scope on one to test this, but I'm pretty sure the over-revs beyond range one always entail a missed downshift, Tim. I'm not even sure you can get range one over-revs in acceleration for exactly the reason you give. The engine computer is described as refusing to fire the injectors (and presumably the coils as well) once the engine reaches red line.I had thought range one indicated the last couple of hundred rpm short of redline, but we've been corrected in that information someone else had posted. So if range one is above red line, how would the engine get to that speed with either type of transmission, except by using the car's momentum after a missed downshift?

On the other hand, all devices have failure modes. So I'm sure the PDK cars are recording the same DME information, in case they need to diagnose one of those failures. They just can't blame the driver in the case of a PDK car that blows a downshift.

Gary
Old 10-08-2011, 08:17 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if you can get an over-rev in a PDK car if spun on the track at high speed? You can in a manny tranny.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:22 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Inspection report came back with all 0's on the rev report.
Normal. Slightly rare. Good sign. If everything else also checks-out properly.

You should also look at the DME report, take the total miles and devide by the total hours on the car. Does the math make sense for average MPH and the cars condition? Just a tip to check the "accuracy" of the reported total miles.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:50 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 115 Posts

I looked into this in good detail. Over- revs can onliy happen on missed downshifts due to mechanical over- revving of the engine. Rev limiter otherwise cuts you off on engine acceleration. So this just means car hasn't been driven too hard or tracked.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:54 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by surathdp
I looked into this in good detail. Over- revs can onliy happen on missed downshifts due to mechanical over- revving of the engine. Rev limiter otherwise cuts you off on engine acceleration. So this just means car hasn't been driven too hard or tracked.
This is not true. You need to look into things more. You can get range 1 and 2 over-revs without missing a shift. Common, and normal. You can also get over-revs exceeding range 2 with a spin, since the rev-limiter does not protect when the engine is spun in reverse. So, the are 3 ways possible, not one as you stated above.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:33 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Accuracy of mileage is a great tip... Thanks!

Quick Reply: First time purchase...Anyone seen a 0 rev report before?