Sponsored by:

Why is "Porsche" name on all new models

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 11:51 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Why is "Porsche" name on all new models

Porsche has started to put the name "Porsche" on the rear of its cars. It's already on the Cayenne and the Panamera, and it's also on the new 911. This just makes the rear of the car even busier looking than when only the model badge (i.e." Carrera") was displayed. Moreover, none of the other German makers (BMW, Mercedes, Audi or even Volkswagen) display their brand name, only an insignia (like the Porsche seal on the front hood). I wonder why the sudden urge to display the Porsche brand?
Old 10-03-2011, 11:57 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

thats the new style. put PORSCHE on it because for years it wasnt on it at all, just the rear window decal. Its fine with me, but I still dont think the model designation should be there. Let um guess what it is.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:12 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

It's also the old style. Most models prior to the 911 had the Porsche lettering on the rear deck as did the 911's of the 60's and 70's. Porsche has a strong connection to it's past and that shows up in many ways, some big and some small.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Building the brand. Previously there was nothing to brand the car on the back (that's the part you stare at in traffic). Believe it or not, not every person on the highway knows what kind of car you're driving. Remeber that time you pulled up to the gas station and the attendant said "nice ferrari"? That's a sign that the brand could use a lift. Right now BMW is very recognizable and in addition to a very recognizeable brand they have a very recognizable brand language on their products. This is what you do when you want to sell cars to a wider audience instead of just "car guys".

Also note that they've begun to raise the awareness of the product offerings. They call out the typ of product on the back as well and they're doing what they can do to be consistent and stratify the cheaper products from the more expensive ones. BMW: 1,3,5,6,7 series.... Porsche is not quite as well understood.

Of course they want to do all of this without denigrating the brand. They use elements that are consistent with the history and the brand equity to do all of this. I'm certain that there is a greater strategy at work here.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:06 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because increasingly modern consumers are too stupid to know it is a Porsche.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:18 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Building the brand. Previously there was nothing to brand the car on the back (that's the part you stare at in traffic). Believe it or not, not every person on the highway knows what kind of car you're driving. Remeber that time you pulled up to the gas station and the attendant said "nice ferrari"? That's a sign that the brand could use a lift. Right now BMW is very recognizable and in addition to a very recognizeable brand they have a very recognizable brand language on their products. This is what you do when you want to sell cars to a wider audience instead of just "car guys".
+1. This is SPECIALLY true for Asian markets where the growth is, hence all new cars are designed to target that market, i.e. the PLUSH comfy 991 interior!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:54 AM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Thanks for all of your input

And sorry for the double post....I thought question was applicable to both boards. While perhaps I can understand the name branding for new models (Cayenne, etc.), it's really inappropriate for the iconic 911, especially given the small real estate on the rear where the name can be placed. But, so long as Porsche continues to offer the free "debadge" option, I suppose I don't care personally, just a matter of curiosity. I do agree that the new strategy must appeal to all of the Porsche neophytes, both in the US and Asian markets.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:27 AM
mousecrab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cause the rear of the 991 looks to much like an Aston Martin.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:01 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mousecrab
cause the rear of the 991 looks to much like an Aston Martin.
+991
Old 10-04-2011, 11:31 AM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They've made the same model (911) since the mid 60's..... Easily recognizable design for people on this planet... Probably could live without the PORSCHE designation on the car...
I never really thought about the Porsche lettering one way or another... I suppose it would make it easier to wax and polish if it wasn't there... I don't know if I would de-badge the car if I ordered one????
Old 10-04-2011, 11:57 AM
henrysko
Instructor

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Because increasingly modern consumers are too stupid to know it is a Porsche.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:09 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I actually don't mind it so much. I don't think I'd go out of the way to debadge it but I don't find it offensive (but I love the 356 so that may have something to do with it). I really like that vintage porsche logotype so having it on a badge doesn't bug me. I think i'd probably take some of the other badging off (911 etc).

Right now I have black on black badging and I've considered taking that off completely since the "carrera" stuff doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

A 911 should not need the Porsche name on the back. I do understand the need for the Porsche name on a Cayenne or Panamera ( or perhaps even a Cayman) but the 911 is the brand.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:39 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who cares? If you don't like it order the no cost delete. This from the same crowd that does colored wheel caps, crests on headrests, on consoles, illuminated door sills with Porsche names, script on floor mats, etc etc etc.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Originally Posted by texas911
Who cares? If you don't like it order the no cost delete. This from the same crowd that does colored wheel caps, crests on headrests, on consoles, illuminated door sills with Porsche names, script on floor mats, etc etc etc.
Yup. It's not tattooed on there, gents. if you dont' like it just choose not to have it put on. ez does it.

Quick Reply: Why is "Porsche" name on all new models