What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:28 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 449 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
Is that a high heat paint?

Does the clear coat have to be high heat as well?

Would love to paint mine next time I'm "in there"

Thanks.
Yes, its Dupli-color Caliper Paint rated to 500F. I picked it up at my local auto parts store for ~$20. The kit comes with 2 cans of brake cleaner and a can of brush on paint. I also read that G2 was good but you need to order that from Amazon and it costs 2x the price. I have Dupli-color high heat clear coat I will put over the decal. I picked those up here http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/...8Set_6%29.html.

I would buy some additional .5" brushes as the one that comes with it isn't great.

If you are comfortable bleeding your brakes I think it would take half the time and get better results to paint them off the car. I left the brake lines on and its a pain to maneuver the caliper to get all the edges.

Spend the time to clean the brakes. I ended up bringing a bucket and hose in the garage and first used soap and water, then wire brush, finally brake cleaner.

I will send final pics when the project is done.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:31 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BER
The Bruce,

Your calipers look great! Good job and I see you added the "PORSCHE" decals...nice touch.

I did the exact same Dupli-Color paint/decal process to the calipers on my Boxster two summers ago. I hung my calipers (using bent coat hangers) to air dry outside in the hot sun for two days and that did the trick (I brought them in at at night).

You should now be good to go for several years.
Thanks! Yea I wish I had taken the calipers off but I can only jack up 1 side of the car at a time in my garage. Therefore the project is taking 4x as long...
Old 09-06-2017, 12:02 PM
JABowders
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I ordered a Steering Wheel Spacer and the NAV retrofit kit. But I'm out driving it today...in the rain.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:39 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Thanks! Yea I wish I had taken the calipers off but I can only jack up 1 side of the car at a time in my garage. Therefore the project is taking 4x as long...
Bruce wish I had known you were doing this. I've done this many times and learned the hard way. VHT Red is the answer in spray form. It is almost an exact color match and dries super fast. Dupli-Color is a PITA. I've tried it and started all over with VHT. Then I put the stickers on and clear coat with Rust-Oleum Engine Enamel. Either way though it is a rewarding project and yours look great now, just the waiting for drying wasn't fun .
Old 09-06-2017, 10:57 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Bruce wish I had known you were doing this. I've done this many times and learned the hard way. VHT Red is the answer in spray form. It is almost an exact color match and dries super fast. Dupli-Color is a PITA. I've tried it and started all over with VHT. Then I put the stickers on and clear coat with Rust-Oleum Engine Enamel. Either way though it is a rewarding project and yours look great now, just the waiting for drying wasn't fun .
@WhipE350 Ugh. Yea...I should have asked.

The calipers look great but I've had major issues working with Duplicolor. I would not recommend it.

Its humid out and the calipers still weren't cured after 36hrs. I put clear coat on the first caliber and watched in horror as it started to orange peal and crinkle up the the caliper paint. I thought I was going to have to sand it down and start over.

Luckily when the clear coat started to dry the paint laid back down. I hit it with a blow dryer to get it the last mile. Its now back to 95% and nobody but me would notice.

I called Duplicolor customer service to find out what the deal was and they said the humidity was affecting the cure time. They recommended either baking the caliber or going out for a 20min drive to heat the brakes up, then putting the clear coat on.

Disaster averted. It orange pealed after putting clear coat on. Luckily it disappeared after the clear coat dried.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:29 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Ouch! Glad the peal cleared up.

Heck with the calipers, I thought the inside of my wheel wells were clean, yours looks amazing. I better step up my game!
Old 09-07-2017, 04:20 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Ouch! Glad the peal cleared up.

Heck with the calipers, I thought the inside of my wheel wells were clean, yours looks amazing. I better step up my game!
Ha! That was my warm up project before before I put the Eibachs in last month.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:28 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ScootsS
Finally hardwired my passport max to my mirror. Blendmount & mirrortap is a nice combo.

did you have to take side panels off to stick wires underneath it?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Ceileidh
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I brought my 6 week old daughter to Cars and Coffee in Newport RI! Rear facing car seat in my 997 C4S worked flawlessly with just a little patience.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:16 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

Installed new black leather OEM shift boot and ****, but the boot was a bit twisted and not lined up once it was installed. So I took it back off, took the boot/**** apart, rotated the boot a bit and then put it back on. If you ever do this, the **** twists a bit, then you pull it off the boot. Then a small plastic ring needs to be taken out that releases the leather from the piece that connects to the ****, under it.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:43 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceileidh
I brought my 6 week old daughter to Cars and Coffee in Newport RI! Rear facing car seat in my 997 C4S worked flawlessly with just a little patience.
how did you do it? I am trying to install forward facing seat but I am not sure how to hook it up? I cannot find seat latches
Old 09-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Derek Zoolander
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Used Lexol leather cleaner/condition on my natural brown full leather and black leather sport design steering wheel/full leather airbag.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Ceileidh
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This way uses just the belt/belt path designed carseat. Front facing I'm not sure about but I know there are many threads and it is reportedly easier for install and everyday use. Good luck!
Old 09-11-2017, 09:54 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Installed a Fabspeed Competition Breather

Installed the Fabspeed Competition breather on Sunday. Then went for a nice country drive. Oh baby! Sound aside (which was really cool), I could feel the HP lift. As a DIY project, it was easy! Just have the tools and study then follow the furnished instructions. Comparison pictures attached.
Attached Images   
Old 09-12-2017, 11:33 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbrooksr
Installed the Fabspeed Competition breather on Sunday. Then went for a nice country drive. Oh baby! Sound aside (which was really cool), I could feel the HP lift. As a DIY project, it was easy! Just have the tools and study then follow the furnished instructions. Comparison pictures attached.
Thanks for posting about your experience Brooks! Great to see you enjoying our intake. I love the tone it gives to the cabin presence of the car, and the gains are there; glad you're enjoying them both! What else are you running as a part of your setup?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?