Delay with PDK Paddles

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Delay with PDK Paddles

Hi

Can anyone with experience of PDK paddles help? I've had mine a week now (new GTS PDK) and I'm delighted with the car and the transmission. And the SPASM

However, there seems to be a delay between pulling the paddles and the shift actually taking place. I'm not talking about the speed of the shift itself, which is remarkable in all instances and which gets faster and faster as you go through the modes (Normal, Sport and Sport Plus). I'm talking about the time elapsing between the instruction to shift (paddle pull) and the shift initiating. It's less noticeable on downshifts because the throttle blip comes before the shift itself and more noticeable on upshifts when the shift accompanies the reduction in revs.

I can't do exhaustive tests while I'm keeping the revs mostly under 4k and definitely under 5k. Can anyone comment on this? Do you find the same thing? Or does the delay get shorter as you move through the modes (N,S,S+)? Or is it dependent on the rate of acceleration (greater acceleration = smaller delay)? Or is the car not run in yet and I should expect an improvement?

All help gratefully received but please don't quote the manual or the webpage. I've studied these in detail and they deal with shift times in Auto mode not paddle response. Thanks guys.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:31 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the paddles for my C4S since jan and there seems more a delay in normal mode compared to sport. Just drive sport with or without PASM depending on roads and see how it goes. I only run sport plus on the track during DE days in auto mode and try to drive a smooth line.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:09 PM
911BE
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my paddles haven't noticed any delay when in sport, will check and see under normal street driving conditions if i notice a delay. My thinking would be the delay you notice is the amount of time it takes to gently pull the paddles rather than aggressively punching them.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

There is a very slight delay, especially when just tooling along. I noticed it more at first but now I guess I've recalibrated because it's not an issue for me. When more aggressive with revs and the throttle the interaction seems appropriately quicker and I suspect it's all part of the overall adaptive nature of PDK to how you're driving. In any event I think what you're experiencing is normal. Glad you're enjoying your car!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Hi Mike. I knew it wouldn't be long before you came along. Loving the sound of that X51 exhaust. I had PSE on my C2S but this is another level!!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Originally Posted by 911BE
Love my paddles haven't noticed any delay when in sport, will check and see under normal street driving conditions if i notice a delay. My thinking would be the delay you notice is the amount of time it takes to gently pull the paddles rather than aggressively punching them.

I wish you were correct but no, just checked and the delay is well after the pull is complete. Seems to vary somewhat but can be up to a second and is never instantaneous.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:08 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
I wish you were correct but no, just checked and the delay is well after the pull is complete. Seems to vary somewhat but can be up to a second and is never instantaneous.
I have the same issue with my PDK. I do not have paddles but there is a delay with the buttons and with the gear shift lever in manual mode.

Trending Topics

Old 09-15-2011, 12:58 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

No issues with the 09 PDK or my GTS PDK...normal mode shifts smooth and calm..sport plus is fast and instant.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:42 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Mdrums, are you talking about shift speed in Auto mode or the time delay following a pull on the paddle?
Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Jok
Advanced

I've had my GTS PDK for 8 months and have never experienced the sort of delay you describe...even during break-in. I'd have your dealer check it..
Old 09-15-2011, 03:23 PM
kitwetzler
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Coming from M-DCT in my 2011 M3, my 09 C2S w/ PDK definitely has a delay. It is not bad, but especially under 3000 rpm, I notice it.

Overall PDK is way more "automatic" like than M-DCT. I am not a huge fan, to be honest, I loved M-DCT and I don't love PDK the same way. I hate that it upshifts automatically, I hate that it downshifts automatically, I hate that even the paddle shift wheel has longer throws and less positive feeling switches than M-DCT... etc. oh well.

(PDK has one huge advantage, which is that you can put it in neutral without starting the motor! (or removing the center console and jamming a tool into the neutral release, like M-DCT)
Old 09-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

No delay, very slight delay, 1 second delay, definite delay; all different descriptions regarding the exact same interface. Unless the tolerances involved in Porsche's PDK design are pretty imprecise (unlikely) then the tolerances among PDK owners descriptive and observational skills are pretty imprecise. Might be the basis for an interesting study in how different people perceive the same event. Sorry now that you asked, Betternotbigger?
Old 09-15-2011, 04:15 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like MDRUMS, my PDK (button-equipped) has been spot-on out of the box.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Interesting range of replies here. I took a long drive today (5 hours of beautiful twisties) and definitely noticed some variety in the delay. Sometimes it was pretty quick to respond, other times a little sluggish - no doubt to do with the adaptive aspect of the PDK algorhythms. I can't say it spoiled the drive. I was more interested in connecting with the suspension. But you know when you want everything to be perfect with your new ride...

Obvious thing to do is to drop her off at the dealer and leave it with them for the day. Perhaps there's a software patch it needs. Gonna wait though until its properly run-in, say 2000 miles, before I leave it with some trainee mechanic to bounce it off the red line, though.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 PM
zanwar
Pro

Could the delay be associated with the PDK computer pre-selecting the most probable next gear, but the driver choosing to shift in the other direction?

Quick Reply: Delay with PDK Paddles