Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delay with PDK Paddles

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 09:55 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Used the paddle going up and down a mountainous road just this weekend. On sporty driving i think the shift were spot on specially when downshifting more than one fear down. It was a lot faster than the auto mode. In addition i was moving at a good pace even on regular mode. Pdk shifted well. However, i also noticed slowness in shifting during cruising mode and you suddenly just want to step on it. Pdk needs a bit of time to realize you want quick shifts.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Principissimo
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Pdk needs a bit of time to realize you want quick shifts.
Yes this is very true!
Old 04-07-2014, 02:10 AM
teoh2005
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is definitely a noticeable and annoying delay b/w shifts with the 1st gen PDK. That was one quality I hated about my 997.2 C2S.

After testing a 991 I went looking for PDK software updates. Everyone said couldn't be done, doesn't exist, or that there was no diff b/w the 991 and 997 PDK.

I considered trading my 997.2 for a 991 but didn't like the electric steering and some other things so I decided to hold out as I knew it was just a matter of time before some aftermarket company would address it.

Looking across the web I came across a Florida company known as 1016 Industries. They do software tunes and are well received for their R8 R-Tronic software.

I contacted them and inquired if they had one for the 997.2 PDK. They in fact did. I bought the software and loaded it. Very easy install, software comes on a writer that is plugged into the OBDII port. Took about 5 min.

All I can say is WOW. The software completely transformed the car. 1016 Industries (Peter) states shifts are 19% faster and it definitely is. Upshifts/downshifts are much faster, crisp and aggressive. Overall the update has made the car more immediate and importantly satisfying to drive. The delay bw pulling the paddle and the car shifting has been minimized

Still not as 991 fast but a huge improvement nonetheless. Shifts are fast but also have some feel to them. They don't feel so sanitized as the 991.

Definitely keeping the 997.2 for some time. Been enjoying it a lot lately and really look forward to driving it every chance I get. Couldn't say the same before the PDK update.

Here is video of the car after the software was loaded. Car is in Sport Plus mode:

Contact Peter at:

sales@1016industries.com for more info

-Khanh

Last edited by teoh2005; 04-07-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:45 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by teoh2005
Still not as 991 fast but a huge improvement nonetheless. ...
I suggest getting professional timing instrumentation and actually measuring shift times for both the 997.2 and 991 before stating that the 991 shifts are faster. Yeah, they may 'sound' faster as a result of the Symposer's psychoacoustic effect.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:48 AM
jdogg2000
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More info please! Cost? IMO, PDK is immensely less enjoyable than the M-DCT because of the slight but perceptible lag on shifts... This solution sounds VERY interesting!

Originally Posted by teoh2005
There is definitely a noticeable and annoying delay b/w shifts with the 1st gen PDK. That was one quality I hated about my 997.2 C2S.

After testing a 991 I went looking for PDK software updates. Everyone said couldn't be done, doesn't exist, or that there was no diff b/w the 991 and 997 PDK.

I considered trading my 997.2 for a 991 but didn't like the electric steering and some other things so I decided to hold out as I knew it was just a matter of time before some aftermarket company would address it.

Looking across the web I came across a Florida company known as German Motoring. They do software tunes and are well received for their R8 R-Tronic software.

I contacted them and inquired if they had one for the 997.2 PDK. They in fact did. I bought the software and loaded it. Very easy install, software comes on a writer that is plugged into the OBDII port. Took about 5 min.

All I can say is WOW. The software completely transformed the car. German motoring states shifts are 19% faster and it definitely is. Upshifts/downshifts are much faster, crisp and aggressive. Overall the update has made the car more immediate and importantly satisfying to drive. The delay bw pulling the paddle and the car shifting has been minimized

Still not as 991 fast but a huge improvement nonetheless. Shifts are fast but also have some feel to them. They don't feel so sanitized as the 991.

Definitely keeping the 997.2 for some time. Been enjoying it a lot lately and really look forward to driving it every chance I get. Couldn't say the same before the PDK update.

Here is video of the car after the software was loaded. Car is in Sport Plus mode:

-Khanh
Old 04-07-2014, 03:05 AM
EbonyC4S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info about German Motoring. Thx
Old 04-07-2014, 03:31 PM
teoh2005
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EbonyC4S
Good info about German Motoring. Thx
The company is actually 1016 Industries. Contact Peter at:

sales@1016industries.com for more info

Khanh
Old 04-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Vape NYC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could we put together a group buy or negotiate a rennlist discount? I'd also like to see if it improves the shifting just casually driving around town,(in non sport) when you then may want to accelerate quickly.

Quick Reply: Delay with PDK Paddles