Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new carrera s

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:02 AM
jdthor
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be embarrassed to make that offer today, as the market has firmed up quite a bit in the last 18months. You may just end up souring the sales staff to make any sort of reasonable deal with you.
Good luck though. Think you'll be needing a lot of it!
________________________________________________________________________ ________

I have a casual friendship with the owner, we have several mutual friends as well. Despite that, right now it looks like a 12% discount is about the best I can get. Paying $88,000.00 right now might be a fair price, but I am having a hard time with it.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:08 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
I would be embarrassed to make that offer today, as the market has firmed up quite a bit in the last 18months. You may just end up souring the sales staff to make any sort of reasonable deal with you.

Good luck though. Think you'll be needing a lot of it!

Phil

this. absolutely all of this
Old 09-03-2011, 10:40 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdthor
I agree that it was a fun car to drive. But the Cayman is a fun car to drive. I realize that they are two different types of cars, and should "feel" different to drive, which they do.

I am an occasional driver, not a track guy, and when I do drive I usually spend most of my time going back and forth on the interstate. About 500 or 600 miles per month, max.

For reasons I can't explain I really like the look of this particular Carrera. This one is silver with black interior, not especially exotic, but nice in any event. The Cayman is exotic, black over saddle interior, and attracts lots of attention in the rural area where I live and work.

I can afford the car; I am having trouble reconciling the difference in cost, probably close to 40K, should I trade. Like I said, I had a lot of fun during the 45 minute test drive, I just don't know if I had $40,000 worth of fun.
Don't try to reconcile. They aren't investments. Go with your gut! In my case, I wasn't happy unless I ended up with Porsche's flag ship product. Now i will never go back. In my view, Cayman/boxter will never compete with the 911. Porsche will see to that. The Cayman/boxter appeals to a more mass market. The 911 doesnt - not for a $100k plus car. So, it depends on what you are looking for.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

I think you have to go with which car grabs yer soul. Which car are you thinking, dreaming, talking about etc... In my case I like the Cayman but it feels small and cramped to me. Is it supposedly more balanced? Yes but I choose the 911 because it GRABBED me. I love this car and STILL do after 3 years. I even was go to trade it in on a new 2012 GTS and backed out! Forget about the price difference. These cars are not investments. Keeping driving both and you'll reach your decision.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't think there's anything to be embarrassed about in offering 82k on a 100k car. One never knows unless he asks, and he could be polite, prefacing with..."look, I don't mean to be insulting, but in order for this to work I will need an insanely good deal. Its not the right time, I don't really have the cash, my wife will throw a fit...etc."
Otoh, when a trade is involved it's easier and perhaps less controversial to talk about the $ difference you would purchase the new car for. This lets the dealer believe whatever he wants to about the value of their car, but that you are being prideful about the value of your car.
And the fact is, at this point in the game it's more about getting the 997s out the door in order tro earn more allotments for the 991s.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:58 AM
jdthor
Track Day

Selo is right, the dealer did not take offense at my low offer, nor was I embarrassed to give it. It did open a dialog that is still in progress. As I said earlier, the owner of the dealership is a friend, but at the end of the day they exist to make money and I know that. The owner also knows that I am a "dream" customer in that I have money and am an impulsive buyer; they are expending lots of energy right now just to keep me interested in the car. They know that I am likely to buy it if I get over that resistance to the big jump in price (Cayman to Carrera). They also know that I am likely to NOT buy it if I lose interest, decide to wait for the 991, visit another dealership, and find a car that "grabs" me, as Zeus993 says.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:25 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,012 Likes on 2,836 Posts

Originally Posted by spourreza
Well, it's easy. Raced all the cars at the Porsche World Tour. Spiders, Cayman R and various 911's. In my view, the ride of the 911 is totally superior. Had a lot more fun! Maybe it's the size, torque, DFI, width, technology, blah blah. I was sold and traded in a week later. No knock at the Boxter/cayman. They are awesome cars but the 911 is in a different league.
Boxster S, Spyder, Cayman S, and Cayman R all use DFI also.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:57 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it wasnt that long ago when discounts in the high teens were avail. Its true that things have firmed up since, but it doesnt mean you cant deal. If the dealer is unable to meet your offer perhaps you could ask for a options/mods that you would get anyway. Separately, consider looking at '10-11 CPO cars.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:31 PM
jdthor
Track Day

"Separately, consider looking at '10-11 CPO cars."

Moving that direction right now.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:10 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree that it was a fun car to drive. But the Cayman is a fun car to drive. I realize that they are two different types of cars, and should "feel" different to drive, which they do.
[...] I can afford the car; I am having trouble reconciling the difference in cost, probably close to 40K, should I trade. Like I said, I had a lot of fun during the 45 minute test drive, I just don't know if I had $40,000 worth of fun.
Let me suggest a ride in a Boxster Spyder as well. If you don't like convertibles, then try the Cayman R. These cars are a lot of fun as well, and also in a different league from the basic Boxster. All of them are very nice sports cars, but the Spyder and the R move into a more serious experience. Very likely as far as you'll get with a Carrera. The Spyder is quintessential roadster, and the R is a world class coupe.

I don't think you're going to push the envelope enough to feel the difference in sophistication of the suspension in the Carrera models. And if you can't feel the difference and don't need the improved track times, then you will never find $40k worth of difference. Besides, until you move into the GT models, the Carreras as usually ordered by dealers favor an understated elegant appearance. We live in a rural area also and get compliments daily, but the Spyder and R do indeed have a more 'exotic' appearance unless you start modifying a Carrera.

Gary
Old 09-03-2011, 04:48 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find that the OP is having a difficult time trying to justify paying the $40K difference. He is not comparing apples to apples instead comparing an orange to an apple. A Cayman is NOT a 997.2 even though they have some similarities. Is it worth $40K difference? In that regard I say to each his own. Many will say that it is while other will say it isn't. In the end it really is up to you the buyer to make that decision.
In regards to the price, I would have to say good luck on getting the car for $88K as it would appear a little on the low side for a 2012 997.2. However, there are always deals to be made and you never know what the dealer is willing to do to get this car moved.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:10 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious - is 10% to 12% off sticker way out of reason? I have been watching a 2012 GTS and this week I casually spoke to a salesman and asked how much "room" he had in the sticker price. He said that since the car is starting to collect dust and that there has only been one interested buyer whose credit fell through, that I "might" be able to get 3% to 5% off of list.

I know I shouldn't be toying with this, I will get myself in trouble. Originally I thought I would keep my eyes open for a CPO 2009 C2S and if/when the right one came along I would move up from my 996.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:15 PM
jdthor
Track Day

"I find that the OP is having a difficult time trying to justify paying the $40K difference. He is not comparing apples to apples instead comparing an orange to an apple. A Cayman is NOT a 997.2 even though they have some similarities. Is it worth $40K difference? In that regard I say to each his own. Many will say that it is while other will say it isn't. In the end it really is up to you the buyer to make that decision. "

Which describes the situation pretty well.

I am probably the least experienced Porsche owner on this list. A year ago I had no thoughts of Porsches, no dreams of track days, had never even been in one these cars. I hadn't researched Porsches, driven different models, talked to owners. I didn't know this list existed. The car just "appeared" for my birthday, as the Cayman turned out to be a birthday present from my wife on my 60th. And like I said earlier, I have found it to be fun to drive; Yesterday's test drive of the Carrera was exactly my second Porsche to drive, or even sit in. And also like I said in an earlier post, I can't even clearly articulate why I like the car as much as I do. I don't even like to drive fast, I don't know where the best curvy roads are, I actually walk to and from work, go figure.

I guess I am looking for "guidance more than answers" and I appreciate the comments offered so far.

Maybe I should drive a GTS?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Yes! Drive a GTS. If hare going to buy new then by all means test drive the pinnacle development of the 997 Carrera. Good call.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:30 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

"Separately, consider looking at '10-11 CPO cars."

Moving that direction right now.
Yesterday (9/2/11) I bought a 2010 C2S with 2,945 miles and CPO until 9/05/16 for $78.5K "out the door."

Quick Reply: new carrera s