Sponsored by:

beginning to think old is better

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:31 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrom
I can't believe anyone with a 2011 TTS has a boring car - you gotta explain that just a little more.
I second that!

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 09-07-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:37 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know exactly what he means

The skinny pedal is only part of the excitement. The modern cars have soooo many nannies built in you have to try hard to even kick it loose, much less full drift. If you have an MT, you can just go 1-3-5 (shift a 3000 if you like) for anything but hard acceleration.

When I bought the Boxster Spyder I actually went in to to get the TTS, but while it can be a ROCKET, there are few places to use even half that speed. Most of the time you're just chugging along. Like getting a Greyhound and walking it on the leash...

I'm definitely going "Old" (Either a 993 TTS or C2S gotta drive both) or totally retro as in late '60s or early 70's. Now yer talking 2500 lbs or less, totally different driving experience.

Air conditioning??? If I want that I have three other cars with great AC.

For each their own I guess...
Old 09-07-2011, 07:33 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by allegretto
I know exactly what he means

The skinny pedal is only part of the excitement. The modern cars have soooo many nannies built in you have to try hard to even kick it loose, much less full drift. If you have an MT, you can just go 1-3-5 (shift a 3000 if you like) for anything but hard acceleration.

When I bought the Boxster Spyder I actually went in to to get the TTS, but while it can be a ROCKET, there are few places to use even half that speed. Most of the time you're just chugging along. Like getting a Greyhound and walking it on the leash...

I'm definitely going "Old" (Either a 993 TTS or C2S gotta drive both) or totally retro as in late '60s or early 70's. Now yer talking 2500 lbs or less, totally different driving experience.

Air conditioning??? If I want that I have three other cars with great AC.

For each their own I guess...
Good analogy about the "Greyhound on a leash". This is true, if you can never open her up, but unless you never leave midtown Manhattan, you can!
All it takes is a few seconds of "on-it" to truly appreciate the later models. You can also deactivate the PCM and let it all hang out.
I took my S out this weekend and had a blast. Was I a pig on the road and causing danger to myself and others......no. I chose the proper moments and scenarios to let er rip! That's when it's like a fighter launch in Battelstar Galatica!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:46 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

i have owned my new 997.2 c2 6 speed for 5 months and about 3500 miles. It is a wonderful car. That said, at the last moment I decided to keep my 1985 3.2 which I have owned since new---and that was the best move I made! On hot days I drive the 997; cooler days the 3.2, and that works out great. I hope it is cool tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:25 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Good analogy about the "Greyhound on a leash". This is true, if you can never open her up, but unless you never leave midtown Manhattan, you can!
All it takes is a few seconds of "on-it" to truly appreciate the later models. You can also deactivate the PCM and let it all hang out.
I took my S out this weekend and had a blast. Was I a pig on the road and causing danger to myself and others......no. I chose the proper moments and scenarios to let er rip! That's when it's like a fighter launch in Battelstar Galatica!
Well I have due respect for your C2S, likely about as fast or a touch faster than my GTS Cab. Having driven a new TTS I can tell you it's a whole 'nother level of fast/quick. Very few places you can floor it for more than a couple of seconds, and make absolutely sure no one is in front of you when you whip it...!

That said, of course I'm jealous. I like that speed. just that unless I have a Porsche for every mood I have some tough decisions.

And if anybody thinks the 991 will have more than a few ounces of "soul", they are mistaken. It will be more numb than ever. Just the way things are going. Those '67 "S"'s are getting more attractive all the time
Old 09-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

This thread really rings true with many modern cars these days. It really is hard to find a modern car that stirs the soul. Technology is slowly filtering out the fun. Sadly what is happening probably has a great deal to do with the current buyer. Up and coming car enthusiasts are more interested in figures, track times etc and not so much the interaction between the car and the person.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:17 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
This thread really rings true with many modern cars these days. It really is hard to find a modern car that stirs the soul. Technology is slowly filtering out the fun. Sadly what is happening probably has a great deal to do with the current buyer. Up and coming car enthusiasts are more interested in figures, track times etc and not so much the interaction between the car and the person.
I think you are right. What do so many people say about PDK, or Ferrari F1? On the track it shifts so much faster.

I know it shifts faster that I can, but it isn't me doing it. I want a stick for a sports car.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:32 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

All being said about both generations are true. There is no modern substitute for the "sensory experiance" you get from my Targa or other cars of that and relative generations.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:04 PM
tbrom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
All being said about both generations are true. There is no modern substitute for the "sensory experiance" you get from my Targa or other cars of that and relative generations.
Let me ask you and others that want to chime in that have several 911s - if you had to sell one which would it be??? Your new one or your old one?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Found my boss touching my junk more than once.
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2011, 08:53 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by tbrom
Let me ask you and others that want to chime in that have several 911s - if you had to sell one which would it be??? Your new one or your old one?
Great question! My honest answer would be the new one, not because I prefer the old over the new, it's because the new one is easily replaceable. it's tough to find a classic like mine in it's current condition.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:00 AM
steerpike
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up I have two 993 cabs

I have two 993 cabs one Aventura green and one black, for me they are the best shape and engine made.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:10 AM
steerpike
Rennlist Member

Default TIPS

Having had both Tips have their advantages and can be addictive
Old 09-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 101 Posts

I am fortunate enough to have a 997 GT3, plus a small collection of 993s and a 964 Turbo S. Without question the 997 GT3 provides fun, quick, safe, and very comfortable transportation. But I am on the road for work 90% of the time, and the cars that I miss driving, the cars that I jump to when I get home, are the air-cooled cars. The driving experience is just very unique and addictive.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:18 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Boring in that the pdk really is an automatic, the ride is very soft. Yes, it's my boring DD.
Is sport plus mode on the track it wakes up, but you can't really drive around in S+ all the time.

Quick Reply: beginning to think old is better