Sponsored by:

beginning to think old is better

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:46 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
964 rs america is the car i would love to have for DEs. but just not sure if i can afford engine maintenance and rebuild costs.
There's a guy at my work that's got a nice looking silver one he's gonna sell. I think he said he needs a truck to build his house, so the RS has to go.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:35 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
964 rs america is the car i would love to have for DEs. but just not sure if i can afford engine maintenance and rebuild costs.
Which are? I think I spent about $500 on the drivetrain in the 3 years I raced RSA #1, and probably half that on the 140K miler that was its replacement in the 5-6K of hard, hard track miles it was subjected to over 6 years off-and-on.

Oh, and the lack of power steering on an RSA is a real negative on track. Yes, that's back-to-back same day fatigue between RSA #2 and the faux 993RS.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,642 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by race911

Oh, and the lack of power steering on an RSA is a real negative on track. Yes, that's back-to-back same day fatigue between RSA #2 and the faux 993RS.
LMAO, ken... you are NOT that old.
you should join TC in that new form of exercise that's he's doing.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 66mustang
I don't have a 997, I have a 987 Boxster but I recently took an 86 911 on a road trip. It was a lot of fun, but also sort of annoying. The air didn't work, and at higher speeds felt very unstable.
The A/C isn't great, even when it's working as it should. But, I can assure you, at high speeds a 911 should be stable. The car you drove either didn't have a tail, or something was not right.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:33 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
after 3 GT3's, and RS and a few 997 Cabs I'm beginning to lust for 964's and 993's

NB; I have owned 964's and 993's

Is it wrong? Have I forgotten?

I'd love a 3.6 Turbo or a 993 C2S... even a 993/964 Cab. Just no AWD's from that era since they were too intrusive.
Older is not better, it's just a different experiance. My 997.2 is a world class performer. However, my 3.2 is an absolute blast to drive!! No power steering, no PSC, no Spasm, no ABS, etc, etc. It just you, your *** and the road! Exhilirating feeling and you really drive those cars. If you can, keep your late model and buy a classic. Best of both worlds!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:51 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a new C2S Cab with PDK and a bunch of other options that ran the window sticker to 122K. I thought I got a good deal since not too many folks around these parts were buying new Porsches in the summer of 09. This car was fast as hell and had a sweet sounding engine when revved. I had previously owned two 3.2 G50 coupes, a 930 G50 cab, and a NB 993 coupe. This car was superior in performance in any way I could measure, and with air bags all over the place, probably safer. But with the 19" turbo rims you couldn't enjoy the fancy sound system over 60mph, and while the PDK is an amazing piece of equipment, it took much of the fun out of driving. And that was the conclusion I reached about the car as a whole...it was a better car but for me not as much fun. I sold it and got another NB993. I was back in love but missed the power. I thought of supercharging because the car was perfect otherwise but ended up lusting after 993tt's. So I sold the car and will be picking my tt up in Santa Barbara on the 20th of Sept. With a fresh engine and a slew of other stuff the RLers recommended. I know that the goal posts keep moving on me. I kid myself that this is it...no more cars, but have you seen "Rufus" on the tt site or "El Guapo" to mention just two. Onward into the fog....Chris
Old 09-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Older Turbo would be great ! 91-2 Green one
Old 09-04-2011, 11:48 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Older is not better, it's just a different experiance. My 997.2 is a world class performer. However, my 3.2 is an absolute blast to drive!! No power steering, no PSC, no Spasm, no ABS, etc, etc. It just you, your *** and the road! Exhilirating feeling and you really drive those cars. If you can, keep your late model and buy a classic. Best of both worlds!
Thanks. Kinda what I expected. As I analyse my thoughts better it occurs that my 997.2 GTS is so automated and safe, it's almost boring unless I go "manual" and flip the paddles to keep it "on boil". Not that I don't like PDK, love it! Was the same with my last (and most beautiful) GT3 in aqua blue.

With the old ones one more or less had to keep "on boil" since they were far too flat unless you did. Plus the sound and feel. That a mechanical monster was at your command, but tread carefully, it can bite...
Old 09-04-2011, 12:28 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I can relate to OP sentiments. I've gone back and forth between old and newer. As some have mentioned and actually done, keep a modern car for DD duties - reliable, comfortable, safer, etc. and then get an early one to satisfy that desire for a more pure driving feel. This is what I've done by owning an old race car and old targa style car, and then have a more modern car for DD.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:50 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny that this exact conversation would be had in the pits (there WAS pre-internet life) of yesteryear. I'll pick a couple of points in time. When I got into these things 30+ years ago it was "have a 356 for fun, but an SC for luxury/power/safety" or say 15 years ago "have an RS wannabe for fun, but a 964/993 for luxury/power/safety". Guess when I'm ready for the scrap heap in my mid-60s 15 years from now the kids born in 1990 hanging out here will be waxing nostalgic on a 997 PDK for the raw feel...............
Old 09-04-2011, 05:25 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For what it's worth, I think that the grass is always greener on the other side. The ideal is to own both, a really hot new sports car and a really hot older sports car. For those like me that cannot afford to have both, its a tough trade-off. I think that this point is what keeps me replenishing every year or two. I love the 993s that I have owned, including my current one in a fun color. But I miss my RS4 often. That was a really great car. Sure, not really apples to oranges exactly, but I would compare it to a 997 C4S. A little more room in the back and a couple extra doors, but not all that different. To have that car and the perfect 993 would be a great combo.

And by the way, Sloan has great cars, but his pristine 993s are not 55-65, they tend to be more....
Old 09-04-2011, 07:32 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by allegretto
Thanks. Kinda what I expected. As I analyse my thoughts better it occurs that my 997.2 GTS is so automated and safe, it's almost boring unless I go "manual" and flip the paddles to keep it "on boil". Not that I don't like PDK, love it! Was the same with my last (and most beautiful) GT3 in aqua blue.

With the old ones one more or less had to keep "on boil" since they were far too flat unless you did. Plus the sound and feel. That a mechanical monster was at your command, but tread carefully, it can bite...
The fact that you have a PDK, makes it even more of a great experiance if you go old skool. No "automatics" in the era!
You actually do not have to keep the classic car "on boil". My Targa never feels flat, even before I did the performance mods. You really never get bored, it requires a lot of driver input, which always keeps you entertained. I also recommend you go Targa or a vert. The open air experiance is also great in the old rides. Oh and I forgot to mention the smell. The classis cars have that certain "aroma"!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:37 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
The A/C isn't great, even when it's working as it should. But, I can assure you, at high speeds a 911 should be stable. The car you drove either didn't have a tail, or something was not right.
Agree w/ Ed, a classic functioning AC is garbage, compared to todays standards. If you want a real chill from a classic, you need to drop an easy $5k in upgrades, made specifically to bring classics to today's standards. As far as high speed stability, I haven't had my car maxed out, but @ 120 she is a rock. You must have driven an "unstable" car.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:08 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure you have heard my story before. Sold my 993. Bought a 997. Missed everything that makes an air cooled Porsche so special. The boys and girls over on the 993 board told me this would happen and they were right.

Bought a 88' Targa and that instant smile was back on my face.

Love the 997 when it is 100 degrees out and I have to make the 45 minute drive to the airport.

Temp is 75 here now so it's the Targa everyday. Porsche Palooza is 400 miles each way........I'm taking the Targa.
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2011, 01:46 AM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Funny that this exact conversation would be had in the pits (there WAS pre-internet life) of yesteryear. I'll pick a couple of points in time. When I got into these things 30+ years ago it was "have a 356 for fun, but an SC for luxury/power/safety" or say 15 years ago "have an RS wannabe for fun, but a 964/993 for luxury/power/safety". Guess when I'm ready for the scrap heap in my mid-60s 15 years from now the kids born in 1990 hanging out here will be waxing nostalgic on a 997 PDK for the raw feel...............

Great post and good point! I'm already starting to hear people talking about the 996 as "visceral!"

Quick Reply: beginning to think old is better