Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

beginning to think old is better

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with you. The 964 has a such an "intouch" I can do any thing feel that the water pumpers can't match.

BTW
I have a nice one for sale
Do a search on this forum .
https://rennlist.com/
"Highly modified 964 DE/Street"

Elliot
Old 09-05-2011, 01:09 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Late to this thread - but agree with previous comments...

As a Porscheholic, I've spent most of my free time over the past 20 years lusting after 911s and building a "wish list" of Porsches... For years, my dream garage included three: 1) convertible 911 for Saturday morning fun runs, 2) track 911 as dedicated DE car, and 3) daily driver 911. As funds became available, I built out the garage in that order...

Now, like allegretto, I find myself VERY interested in older 911s. I still lust after the following "classics": 94 964 Turbo, 93/94 RSA, 92 964 US Cup Car (street legal), 89 Speedster, 89 Targa, 80 Weissach Coupe, 73 RS/RS Touring, Beck Spyder. I really enjoy my 997 as a DD, but getting into my 964 Speedster brings back the old memories and feel of yesteryear.

Now with all that said, newer 911s (997.1 through 991) have gotten me excited. I am really interested in the new 4.0 GT3, and hope to make a GTS my DD in a few years. The Boxster Spyder is perfection, and all GT3 variants are sublime. After suffering through that period of the miserable 996 (GT3 variant excluded), I think Porsche is back on track and doing a great job...

Good luck with the search.

-B
Old 09-05-2011, 07:48 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
I'm sure you have heard my story before. Sold my 993. Bought a 997. Missed everything that makes an air cooled Porsche so special. The boys and girls over on the 993 board told me this would happen and they were right.

Bought a 88' Targa and that instant smile was back on my face.

Love the 997 when it is 100 degrees out and I have to make the 45 minute drive to the airport.

Temp is 75 here now so it's the Targa everyday. Porsche Palooza is 400 miles each way........I'm taking the Targa.
Nice complimenting color schemes and best of both worlds Mark! I subscribe to that theory as well.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:25 AM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
The A/C isn't great, even when it's working as it should. But, I can assure you, at high speeds a 911 should be stable. The car you drove either didn't have a tail, or something was not right.
Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Agree w/ Ed, a classic functioning AC is garbage, compared to todays standards. If you want a real chill from a classic, you need to drop an easy $5k in upgrades, made specifically to bring classics to today's standards. As far as high speed stability, I haven't had my car maxed out, but @ 120 she is a rock. You must have driven an "unstable" car.
I understand about the Air not being that great. That is the price to pay to play with classics. As far as the unstableness of the car. It has a tail, but could probably use some new bushings and suspension work.

I still love that car, and would drive it nearly every day if I could. My wife really enjoyed it. She says it is way more comfortable than my 987.
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Sadly, the finer examples of those older cars are fading fast. Many who own them are not really taking the best care of them and they are being allowed to deteriorate. If you do find a good one grab it soon!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:54 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 just buy a 993 or 964 as a weekend car.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:20 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by 66mustang
I understand about the Air not being that great. That is the price to pay to play with classics. As far as the unstableness of the car. It has a tail, but could probably use some new bushings and suspension work.

I still love that car, and would drive it nearly every day if I could. My wife really enjoyed it. She says it is way more comfortable than my 987.
Do you have a chin spoiler? If not, it's really a must w/ a tail and prob is contributing to the unstability. Agreed on suspension work. GO for it, it makes a world of a diffrence. The Bilstein setup works great, like I have in my sig. Car is rock solid.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

The pic shows a front spoiler, that isn't the issue.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:52 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

It has the chin spoiler. I truly think the biggest issue is that this is one of 30+ cars in my fathers collection. They don't get fully maintained like the should. I used to live by him and was able to drive them all, so we could figure out what needed fixed. Now I am not hear him, so the cars get driven about 5 times a year.

Back to the OP, If you have the means and desires go for it. Life is way to short for What Ifs.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:14 PM
tbrom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read all the posts in this thread so far and am enjoying the many perspectives related. I've owned 3 911s - each one was special to me. They've all been air/oil coolers! First was an 83 SC targa - platnum bought in 86 had that dark rich brown interior - loved that car. I believe it was my favorite. It was surely the newest 911 I've owned - only 3 years old at the time I bought it - 24k with 22k miles on it.

Next was an 87 Turbo Look - GP white/dark blue interior and top. I bought that about 8 or 9 years ago and when I bought it, it only had 12,500 miles on it. A true time machine. It was more of a collector than a driver and I felt a little nervous driving it. I should have kept that car longer but decided to sell that one too.

I then bought a 993 a couple of years later - that was a great car! Loved that 96 model - first year of "vario ram" - it was a midnight blue coupe with classic grey interior. The AC worked very well I thought and it had modern speed - well not as fast as they are today but very fast. It had even had the CEL/Carbon build up/SAI issue and had already had a top end under warranty and new vavle guides put in - stronger than OEM valve guides I might mention - it only used 3/4 quart of oil in 3500 miles. It was great. I had or chose to sell it when I bought a new house. One of the more regretful sales I've made.

Now I have a Sebring Silver NSX 1991 - which is for sale. I've owned it for a couple of years. It's in perfect shape - I brought all the maintenance up to date on it and it is a prime example of the car and it is a great car, make no mistake, it is a fine automobile. The reason I'm selling it is that I want something newer and faster! Again my search will begin. I'm also in the mode to pay off my mortgage so in a few years I will once again take the plunge.

Back to another 911 - so this thread had an interesting side to it for me. However, one thing you can say about 911s as some have pointed out - "time marches on" and they get more and more refined. I love the air coolers and that sound is unmistakable and it just gets your heart pumping. But there is more to it than that. I want a car that I can take across the country in comfort and new day speed iwth creature comforts and great AC. I want a 2009/2010 Targa 4 when the time comes. That will make a great touring car and will hold the appropriate luggage as well + golf clubs and it will be a gas! I've always wanted to go across the country in a 911 but also want to be comfortable with all the stereo upgrades available now and nav.

One thing for sure with all the advances in technology something of the more "raw" experience is lost - with each new model something from the old is lost. That was never more true when Porsche went from air/oil cooling to water/oil cooling/air. The sound is different, not only that but the sound of the door closing is different - no more "*****"!!! But something is gained - more reliable, more comfortable, better handling, safer, faster and then there's PDK too! I tell you it's a wonderful world we live in with all these fine model Porsches to choose from. WIth that said if I had the ability like some here I would surely have more than one sports car. If I had the where with all I'd have a warehouse full of cars to drive. I'd have an 73 RS, I'd have an 89 Anniversary Cab in silver, and the list goes on and on, a 993TT would be really nice. We can all choose our favorites and we're all looking to the future as well - the 918 is coming - the Carrera GT another great model and what a sound! A Porsche for every occassion. Unfortunately for me I have to go at it one at a time but what a ride it's been. I started off 45 years ago with a TR3, real Minis, 240Z, 280Z, P1800 I built up, lots of Bimmerrs, 3 911s, and a few others in between - a few Karman Ghias even. Loved em all - each was fun in it's own way. I am kind of happy though now that I have a lot of that "raw" out of the way and am concentrating on the future a bit more. At 61 although I enjoyed tinkering in the past a lot of that has gone out of me. I just like having things in good shape and ready to run! But I surely appreciate everyone's perspective here and am having a lot of fun on this 997 list.

Great stories guys....
Old 09-06-2011, 06:50 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
The pic shows a front spoiler, that isn't the issue.
ah ha! It's barely visable in the wheel well.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:56 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

OP,

I just started a thread about my "reappreciation" of my 997.2, after not driving it for a month and instead putting 600 on the Targa. Further testament to older is not better, it's just a different experiance. If you can, get one of each.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:56 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I know the feeling, my tts is fast, but boring as hell. I made an offer on a slant at the dealer, now I have both!
Like I said in another thread, on the weekends, I always reach for the 930 keys first!
I have no regrets about buying the slant, boyhood dream car.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:53 AM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I know the feeling, my tts is fast, but boring as hell. I made an offer on a slant at the dealer, now I have both!
Like I said in another thread, on the weekends, I always reach for the 930 keys first!
I have no regrets about buying the slant, boyhood dream car.
I can't believe anyone with a 2011 TTS has a boring car - you gotta explain that just a little more. i understand the raw experience. I've always loved the long hoods. I go on PCA website every once in a while just to look. I have driven a 996 - that's the latest one I've driven - it was so very different from the air coolers. It was comfortable and nice but there seemed to be something lacking.

I really don't know what to think when someone tells me that a new TTS is boring. Are you saying you like your 930 Slant nose better? Are you going to sell you TTS? Not that I want to buy it but I'm curious. Are you going to sell your boring car - I wouldn't think it was a DD? This is a surprising post if ever I've read one....
Old 09-07-2011, 12:22 PM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Great comments, guys. Old school is good school!

Quick Reply: beginning to think old is better