Sponsored by:

New TPC Turbocharged 2005 997S

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New TPC Turbocharged 2005 997S

Well, my shop finished up my install of the TPC turbo kit last Wednesday so I could get it back in time for a private track event at Roebling Road in Savannah, GA on Friday.

We opted for the upgraded kit with their 3rd radiator/heat exchanger and the GReddy boost controller. We got everything done but the programming of the boost controller so we ran off the wastegate spring at the event which is 4-4.5psi.

I can tell you this, even at low boost this thing is MUCH quicker! The boost spools up quick and smooth and stays all the way to 7K. As far as tuning goes, the car is like stock with ZERO issues. Since this was the first outing with the kit I didn't ring her out. I shifted at 6K most of the weekend to break in the kit and this coming week my shop will take the bumper back off and give everything a look and get the boost controller programmed and get her to the dyno for final #s. I can't wait to drive her at 6psi as it is already a rocket ship at 4.5psi compared to stock!!! I like to thank Casey, Tom, and Mike with TPC for the help along the way and a big thanks to my installer, Tiberio Performance in Tampa, as he worked his butt off to get it down before my track event!

The car did 302rwhp as a baseline:
http://youtu.be/wze605eH3G8

Here are a few crappy vids of the car at the track. We have 2 in-car vids from the Droid of me and a FFR Cobra having a little fun and then the wife running down a new Audi R8 V10. All I can say is the Audi could not get by us on the straights!

The last 2 vids are outside views so you can hear the exhaust note as I come in to turn 5 and then accelerate out. Turn up your volume!!!

I will get the up close photos of the kit when the car is cleaned up!!! Enjoy!

In-car:
http://youtu.be/-EOXxPjwdDA
http://youtu.be/iC2E-j4XHn0

Outside video:
http://youtu.be/-EmBNkM3TFo
http://youtu.be/Y0C3qC1_WYA
Name:  IMAG0042.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  112.5 KB
Old 08-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

The racers may ask how it did or how it will hold up on the road courses. Well, the wife and I drive the car at a 2 day HPDE. I'm a master instructor and she is an advanced student and with both of us having 4 sessions a day the car did a total of 16 sessions in 95+ degree, 1 gagillion % humidity in Savannah, GA. Since this was the 1st time out with it we didn't ring her out so we were short shifting at 6K and not diving into the braking zones like an F1 driver but on average I was 2 secs faster a lap and the wife was 3 secs faster a lap then this past May at the same track.

I'm going to take her back to my shop and have him take the bumper off and check everything out and program the boost controller so we have low and high boost settings and get her back to the dyno for final #s next week. So far everything worked like a fine running Swiss watch.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:03 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Launch Edition......early '05. Did you upgrade the IMS to the LN Engineering setup ?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kdurg
Launch Edition......early '05. Did you upgrade the IMS to the LN Engineering setup ?
I didn't. It was upgraded before I bought it. As far as IMS goes, regardless of turbo or n/a, if it's going to go, it will go.

The last owner of this car was an instructor as well so it has seen her fair share of track duty. She is one solid machine and under warranty.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:05 PM
911FM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
She is one solid machine and under warranty.
hum... P warranty? If things go wrong, I am not sure if they will appreciate the "slight modification"...

Anyway, Congrats on your Turbo. I have been thinking about it and you are pushing me closer to the edge...

FM.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911FM
hum... P warranty? If things go wrong, I am not sure if they will appreciate the "slight modification"...

Anyway, Congrats on your Turbo. I have been thinking about it and you are pushing me closer to the edge...

FM.
Not Porsche warranty. Aftermarket but purchased thru the Porsche dealer. If the IMS went it is a known 996/997 issue. We had a 6speedonline member in CO who bought his 997 with the TPC kit already on it. The IMS went and the dealer fixed it all under warranty. They told him that the IMS failures are known to occur on bone stock cars so why would the turbo be blamed for it.

For what people pay for complete exhaust systems(headers to cans), CAI, and tune to get a whopping 25-30bhp, this is a much better solution IMHO. Also, 4-6psi is nothing in today's world of turbocharging.

Down the road if I trade the car in I can remove the system and sell it or put in on the new P-car. Win/win.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:21 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

sounds like serious upgrades....nice

cost a bucket load? I know that's personal, pm me or tell me to **** off (its really none of my business, I get that)!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
sounds like serious upgrades....nice

cost a bucket load? I know that's personal, pm me or tell me to **** off (its really none of my business, I get that)!
The kit cost $9995.00. They are a few options like going with their center radiator/heat exchanger and an electronic boost controller. I got both. Considering that some people pay $4K on headers, 200cell cats, mufflers, CAI, and a tune and get 25-30 bhp the price of a turbo kit for 100-150 rwhp is not that bad.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Bump. Price reduced.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:55 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Bump. Price reduced.
Price is reduced??...but what's for sale??
Old 11-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
his tpc turbocharger kit, he doesn't need it anymore, Doc sold his c2s and now has a 997tt.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Oops. I updated the wrong thread.

Quick Reply: New TPC Turbocharged 2005 997S