Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror mount for 9500ix on a 997 dimming mirror

Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the reference. Interesting. I guess since many drive with things (parking stickers, etc.) affixed to windshields, #1 is routinely ignored. #2 is the relevant one, and the issue of obstructing a clear view is the key determination.

While the law is clear, enforcement is probably based more on the issue of obstructed view rather than a strict interpretation, which I guess is why #2 is necessary for clarification.

Hope your mirror solution works for you.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:26 AM
s329
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apologies for threadjacking but does anyone know of a V1 mirror mount solution for NON-dimming mirrors? For the life of me I can't seem to find one that will work.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

V C Section 26708 Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver x2019 s View

26708. (a)

(1) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.
(2) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle that obstructs or reduces the driver’s clear view through the windshield or side windows.
(3) This subdivision applies to a person driving a motor vehicle with the driver’s clear vision through the windshield, or side or rear windows, obstructed by snow or ice.
Now that's a hoot. I'm hoping there is more to that context, because just on whats there almost every car in the rest of the world would be illegal in California. According to that text any decals or stickers on the windshield or side or back windows would be a violation. I'd bet most cars have stickers in the rear side or back windows and may locations mount inspection and tax stickers in the front windshield. Military installation parking permits also mount up high near the mirror or down by the side.

So either there is more to the context or this is not enforced.

Hell windows tinting is a violation of that text.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:35 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
I checked out your tip on Countryjoycrafts.com and the 5/8 inch version looks like it can be modified to work on a standard rear view mirror. I ordered it and will follow up. Thanks!
Here are some pics after the install and I think it works pretty good. It is the only solution I know of for a non auto-dimming mirror. The website has a write up from a 997 owner who uses some soft plastic tubing to shim the 5/8 mount. The hardest part was getting those two small screws on the top installed.
Attached Images    
Old 03-17-2013, 01:33 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

While not yet hard wired into the electrical (soon), I prefer this position mounted low on the windshield, out of the way.
Attached Images  

Last edited by fbfisher; 03-17-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Pic fixed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mirror mount for 9500ix on a 997 dimming mirror