Sponsored by:

Transmission oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Deansdream
Three Wheelin'

Received 463 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Transmission oil leak

Went home early from a DE due to transmission oil leak. Car would run for 20 mins, then start to smoke. In paddock, oil was a steady drip. Only occurs when engine's very hot - drove 7 hrs home w/o incident.

Oil was recently changed, and explanation was overfilling. But had it drained 2x and still had the problem. Also drained engine oil level, again to no avail.

Car's an '06 C2S and had a new trans last year.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this problem?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:48 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Who and why was your trans changed last year? Something isnt right. Is this a tip? Can you snap a photo of where the oil is leaking? If you can that will help. I would start by talking to the person who replaced your trans.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Deansdream
Three Wheelin'

Trans had been going for awhile and finally started popping out of 3rd. Car had 80k+ miles, so I wasn't surprised it had to be replaced. Car's going back to the shop that replaced it on Mon. I don't have a lift, so can't get a pic
Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Is this a 6-speed or a tipp?
Old 03-16-2013, 10:14 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If it's a manual transmission there is an over fill opening at the top of the transmission closer to the end that mates with the engine. If you pull your under belly pans you should see transmission oil on the drivers side coming down the transmission if it was over filled. Although I'm not sure but it seems it would take a lot of oil to leak and then make its way to the headers or exhaust to smoke.

How much oil did you lose at the track? Did you check your oil level after your return trip home because if no motor oil was lost then you can narrow your leak to the transmission.

993's would dump the oil if you over filled into one bank of the engine and smoke like crazy. I've seen this at the track and after someone was black flagged and pulled over the motor oil kept dripping out of the back of the engine and actually caught on fire!

I cannot speak for a tiptronic but I had a weird leak from the cap at the very end (opposite end of engine) on my manual trans. The cap is near the top of the transmission and it is secured with a gasket-in-a-tube kind of product. It is above the oil fill level so oil would only leak when driving but my leak was only a few drops.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Deansdream
Went home early from a DE due to transmission oil leak. Car would run for 20 mins, then start to smoke. In paddock, oil was a steady drip. Only occurs when engine's very hot - drove 7 hrs home w/o incident.

Oil was recently changed, and explanation was overfilling. But had it drained 2x and still had the problem. Also drained engine oil level, again to no avail.

Car's an '06 C2S and had a new trans last year.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this problem?
A leaky seal or gasket. Really what does it matter right now. The good news is with that severe of a leak the leak should be easy to pinpoint. My Turbo's 6-speed had a leak -- not nearly as bad -- and the tech spotted the source (selector shaft seal) real quick. There was a telltale trail of wet transmission oil down the side of the case below the seal.

Hopefully there's a warranty on the replacement tranny: parts and labor.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Deansdream
Three Wheelin'

I checked the engine oil this morning after I got home, and discovered that while the level had actually been high at the track, I had lost a good deal by the time I drove home. The trans is a manual 6 speed.

Anyway, it's going to the shop tomorrow morning. Just wanted to get your ideas as lowering the fluid levels didn't solve the problem.

Quick Reply: Transmission oil leak