Sponsored by:

So I park at a restaraunt/hotel

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
Really ? Using your car for what it was designed for (driving the **** out of it)is one thing - letting some juvinile abuse it and possibly damage it is another.

Would you let someone you trust house sit; or would you let the local fraternity keep it for the weekend?

DD here - and I park it outside to boot.

Some valets are great some are not, some parts of town are great some are not, some dealerships/service are great some are not, some roads are great some are not - for me its simple risk aversion.

I think door dings are especially noticeable on these cars due to the geometry of the doors - its part of their great looks. So its natural to try to avoid them.
Keeping the car safe in your garage and never driving it was tongue-in-check, silly man.

My point being is that if you don't trust the valet service (or anybody else who touches or gets near your car) and you feel they are no better than the local fraternity (not sure about that oddball analogy, btw) then just don't use a valet service. It's really that simple. I don't understand why there's even a 5 page thread on this. Live life the way it makes you feel comfortable and gives you peace of mind. If you worry about you car in the hands of a valet, then don't valet. Like I said, end of story. This thread will not change anything nor will it provide any substance to an issue that has existed since the dawn of private ownership of the automobile.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

put nanny cams in your cars.

problem solved.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't like to use valet parking unless I'm at a really nice place, such as a Ritz-Carlton...

LA Times, December 23, 2000

"You don't see a $175,000 Ferrari 355 GTS every day. Apparently neither had a parking valet at the posh Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel.

After parking the car for a hotel guest, the 20-year-old was evidently overcome by the urge to drive the sports car. About 1 a.m. Friday he hopped in for a joy ride--and smashed the car into a palm tree only 30 feet from the hotel entrance, sheriff's investigators said.

The car may prove to be a total loss.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:21 PM
911FM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty funny that most people on RL have the same aversion to Valets.

I went to Phila with the BMW this week-end and parked at a clothes store's free parking (Boyds) downtown. Parking was half empty with valets waiting.
I asked them where I should park the car. Usually they just show me a spot. This time, the guy replied firmly to leave the car keys with them and they will park it. Proceeded to create a ticket. I stayed in the car and asked my question again, got same answer. Our standoff lasted a minute or so. Pretty uncomfortable.
I finally insisted that I would prefer to park the car myself. He caved in and let me choose a spot. (good for him. I would have left the parking and complained heavily at the store) After parking, I was very polite and handed him the keys as a sign of trust but he said he did not need them. On my return after shopping, I tipped generously.

Hopefully next time things will be smoother. I just don't see why they have to have an attitude about self parking.

FM

Last edited by 911FM; 07-14-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:40 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,748 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
This thread will not change anything nor will it provide any substance to an issue that has existed since the dawn of private ownership of the automobile.
Relax . . . silly boy
Old 07-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
Relax . . . silly boy
I'm supercalifragilisticexpialidociously relaxed. To the point where I don't worry if somebody else touches my car (or any of the material things I own)

Anyhoo, enjoy your car and may it live a long and prosperous ding and dent free life (sincerely!)
Cheers.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:56 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,748 Posts

Why . . . thankyouverymuch !

Cheers to you too.

Quick Reply: So I park at a restaraunt/hotel