Sponsored by:

So I park at a restaraunt/hotel

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 03:01 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,673 Posts
Default So I park at a restaraunt/hotel

Downtown retaraunt/hotel with limited parking.

I ask the valets if I can park in a space 20 feet from the entrance - sure, no problem. I go ahead and tip the guy and start walking towards the restaraunt.

But the valet says he has to give me a ticket and get my keys - no thanks, I'd prefer you dont move it and I'll get it when we leave. No - we must have your keys and we have to back it out for you - you cant back it out! (unions and TSA workers are going through my head)

Ya'll are full of ****e - I'll park on the street . . . While I'm gone the valet gives my wife some crap about me not trusting him and he cant help but take it personally.

Sorry pal, but Ive seen too many videos of valets abusing patrons cars.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:29 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id have done the same. Velets are for rental cars.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:51 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
Downtown retaraunt/hotel with limited parking.

I ask the valets if I can park in a space 20 feet from the entrance - sure, no problem. I go ahead and tip the guy and start walking towards the restaraunt.

But the valet says he has to give me a ticket and get my keys - no thanks, I'd prefer you dont move it and I'll get it when we leave. No - we must have your keys and we have to back it out for you - you cant back it out! (unions and TSA workers are going through my head)

Ya'll are full of ****e - I'll park on the street . . . While I'm gone the valet gives my wife some crap about me not trusting him and he cant help but take it personally.

Sorry pal, but Ive seen too many videos of valets abusing patrons cars.
Why even try? By trying and walking away you risked revenge.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

If I don't get to keep the keys, they don't get my business.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The valets at several of the good restaurants I frequent are highly professional, just like the wait staff in the restaurant itself. The valets are responsible for cars that are much more valuable and more expensive than a plain everyday Porsche. They take their work seriously.

Of course they would take it personally. You basically told them that they're bad at their job, will abuse cars, and that you don't trust them. And you even suspect and are irritated that they may be unionized. Put yourself in their shoes. How would you feel if somebody didn't feel they trust you at your job?

If you have "seen too many videos of valets abusing patrons cars" then just don't park in their area at all and use the street in the first place. Just don't use a valet service, period. After all it's apparent you will always be suspicious about it. Problem solved.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
The valets at several of the good restaurants I frequent are highly professional, just like the wait staff in the restaurant itself. The valets are responsible for cars that are much more valuable and more expensive than a plain everyday Porsche. They take their work seriously.

Of course they would take it personally. You basically told them that they're bad at their job, will abuse cars, and that you don't trust them. And you even suspect and are irritated that they may be unionized. Put yourself in their shoes. How would you feel if somebody didn't feel they trust you at your job?

If you have "seen too many videos of valets abusing patrons cars" then just don't park in their area at all and use the street in the first place. Just don't use a valet service, period. After all it's apparent you will always be suspicious about it. Problem solved.
There's always an exception to the rule, but... the rule is most valets abuse cars. It is reported all the time. For me: no valet parking, no exceptions (for any car).
Old 07-09-2011, 05:05 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

The valets at several of the good restaurants I frequent are highly professional,.
I think that was the root of the problem - these guys were not at all professional - more like kids hired by the hotel. I'm usually not this particular but I guess I didnt trust them. I didnt see the need for the keys since we were only going to be in there an hour and there was no need to move the car. When they said they would have to back it out, it was enough.

Originally Posted by ADias
Why even try? By trying and walking away you risked revenge.
I was a little nervous of that, but I could see the car through the window while we ate.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:10 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

I just valet parked my car at a meeting yesterday. Valet stalled it pulling it back in front of the hotel when I picked it up! I laughed.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:48 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

I dont know if these kids could have found reverse to back it out.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:51 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Never valet. I walk a few blocks.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Several of my good friends in college did valet parking as a summer job. The stories they told about parking cars for patrons at a San Francisco restaurant forever squashed any slight inclination I might have had to have my cars valet parked. Unfair maybe, as I'm sure there are skilled valets out there, but I'm not willing to chance finding one of the good ones. I always find a way to park myself.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:12 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

And you even suspect and are irritated that they may be unionized.:
I didnt think they were unionized (I didnt strike a nerve did I?) It just reminded me of not being able to perform some rediculously simple task because a union member has to come do it.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:58 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never valet.

They should take it personally. Their reputation is deserved for what most will do to the cars when they get the right opportunity.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:08 PM
jtilden
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was in tampa for a week, with a rental car and full reimbursement for all expenditures...i chose to park my own car...that's just me
Old 07-09-2011, 08:17 PM
COLO997
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vowed to never, ever valet after watching the old TV series "The People's Court" as a teenager. There were several cases of damaged/stolen/vandalized/abused cars left with valets. Old Judge Wapner always sided with the valet company because the back of a valet claim ticket invariably said, basically, "whatever happens is not our fault."

Quick Reply: So I park at a restaraunt/hotel