Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   So I park at a restaraunt/hotel (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/643357-so-i-park-at-a-restaraunt-hotel.html)

BHMav8r 07-09-2011 03:01 PM

So I park at a restaraunt/hotel

Downtown retaraunt/hotel with limited parking.

I ask the valets if I can park in a space 20 feet from the entrance - sure, no problem. I go ahead and tip the guy and start walking towards the restaraunt.

But the valet says he has to give me a ticket and get my keys - no thanks, I'd prefer you dont move it and I'll get it when we leave. No - we must have your keys and we have to back it out for you - you cant back it out! (unions and TSA workers are going through my head)

Ya'll are full of ****e - I'll park on the street . . . While I'm gone the valet gives my wife some crap about me not trusting him and he cant help but take it personally.

Sorry pal, but Ive seen too many videos of valets abusing patrons cars.

IslandS52 07-09-2011 03:29 PM

Id have done the same. Velets are for rental cars.

ADias 07-09-2011 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by BHMav8r (Post 8699443)
Downtown retaraunt/hotel with limited parking.

I ask the valets if I can park in a space 20 feet from the entrance - sure, no problem. I go ahead and tip the guy and start walking towards the restaraunt.

But the valet says he has to give me a ticket and get my keys - no thanks, I'd prefer you dont move it and I'll get it when we leave. No - we must have your keys and we have to back it out for you - you cant back it out! (unions and TSA workers are going through my head)

Ya'll are full of ****e - I'll park on the street . . . While I'm gone the valet gives my wife some crap about me not trusting him and he cant help but take it personally.

Sorry pal, but Ive seen too many videos of valets abusing patrons cars.

Why even try? By trying and walking away you risked revenge.

Edgy01 07-09-2011 04:36 PM

If I don't get to keep the keys, they don't get my business.

Canyon56 07-09-2011 04:47 PM

The valets at several of the good restaurants I frequent are highly professional, just like the wait staff in the restaurant itself. The valets are responsible for cars that are much more valuable and more expensive than a plain everyday Porsche. They take their work seriously.

Of course they would take it personally. You basically told them that they're bad at their job, will abuse cars, and that you don't trust them. And you even suspect and are irritated that they may be unionized. Put yourself in their shoes. How would you feel if somebody didn't feel they trust you at your job?

If you have "seen too many videos of valets abusing patrons cars" then just don't park in their area at all and use the street in the first place. Just don't use a valet service, period. After all it's apparent you will always be suspicious about it. Problem solved. :thumbup:

ADias 07-09-2011 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Canyon56 (Post 8699625)
The valets at several of the good restaurants I frequent are highly professional, just like the wait staff in the restaurant itself. The valets are responsible for cars that are much more valuable and more expensive than a plain everyday Porsche. They take their work seriously.

Of course they would take it personally. You basically told them that they're bad at their job, will abuse cars, and that you don't trust them. And you even suspect and are irritated that they may be unionized. Put yourself in their shoes. How would you feel if somebody didn't feel they trust you at your job?

If you have "seen too many videos of valets abusing patrons cars" then just don't park in their area at all and use the street in the first place. Just don't use a valet service, period. After all it's apparent you will always be suspicious about it. Problem solved. :thumbup:

There's always an exception to the rule, but... the rule is most valets abuse cars. It is reported all the time. For me: no valet parking, no exceptions (for any car).

BHMav8r 07-09-2011 05:05 PM

The valets at several of the good restaurants I frequent are highly professional,.

I think that was the root of the problem - these guys were not at all professional - more like kids hired by the hotel. I'm usually not this particular but I guess I didnt trust them. I didnt see the need for the keys since we were only going to be in there an hour and there was no need to move the car. When they said they would have to back it out, it was enough.

Originally Posted by ADias (Post 8699522)
Why even try? By trying and walking away you risked revenge.

I was a little nervous of that, but I could see the car through the window while we ate.

LastMezger 07-09-2011 06:10 PM

I just valet parked my car at a meeting yesterday. Valet stalled it pulling it back in front of the hotel when I picked it up! I laughed.

BHMav8r 07-09-2011 06:48 PM

I dont know if these kids could have found reverse to back it out.

No HTwo O 07-09-2011 06:51 PM

Never valet. I walk a few blocks.

Mike in CA 07-09-2011 07:09 PM

Several of my good friends in college did valet parking as a summer job. The stories they told about parking cars for patrons at a San Francisco restaurant forever squashed any slight inclination I might have had to have my cars valet parked. Unfair maybe, as I'm sure there are skilled valets out there, but I'm not willing to chance finding one of the good ones. I always find a way to park myself.

BHMav8r 07-09-2011 07:12 PM

And you even suspect and are irritated that they may be unionized.:

I didnt think they were unionized (I didnt strike a nerve did I?) It just reminded me of not being able to perform some rediculously simple task because a union member has to come do it.:thumbup:

yemenmocha 07-09-2011 07:58 PM

Never valet.

They should take it personally. Their reputation is deserved for what most will do to the cars when they get the right opportunity.

jtilden 07-09-2011 08:08 PM

i was in tampa for a week, with a rental car and full reimbursement for all expenditures...i chose to park my own car...that's just me

COLO997 07-09-2011 08:17 PM

I vowed to never, ever valet after watching the old TV series "The People's Court" as a teenager. There were several cases of damaged/stolen/vandalized/abused cars left with valets. Old Judge Wapner always sided with the valet company because the back of a valet claim ticket invariably said, basically, "whatever happens is not our fault."