Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I park at a restaraunt/hotel

Old 07-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I don't know; sounds like a great way to antagonize someone right out of the gate and might incent them to find some other way to screw with you. Most interactions with people don't turn out well if you start by basically saying, "I don't trust you". If I have concerns about valets (I do), I park or go elsewhere. If I have no choice but to use a valet, I drive another car. As a last resort, I just smile, offer something extra for good care, and hope for the best.
I agree completely and would never do this personally, but at some point you just can't win if you are soo worried about every way the car could possibly be abused.

your last line is the way I do it. If someone wants to abuse it, they will find a way. I find that in my cases, valets have been happy to valet a nice car and treated it with a lot of respect. Always the case? Nope...but I'm over worrying about it.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:28 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
NYC garages are the WORST. Hated it.
I lived in Manhattan for a few years and at that time had a new 99' M3. I did the reverse commute, so drove it every day. After the multiple curb rashes and repairs (they paid for), I eventually was given my own private spot in the garage and would retrieve and park it myself.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:54 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NAM VET
got to thinking about the valet wanting to keep the key. Perhaps he has had customers "stiff" them by just walking to their car when the valet was busy, and driving off. If you have to get your key from him, you have to pay their fee. My neighbor's kid is presently valet in Aspen, when I see him I'll ask for his take on this.

On the several times i have had valet park my car at a restaraunt, and did not know them from before, i have smiled and told the valet "no door dings on the care, i would appreciate your taking good care of my car". Of course, that was with other cars, my Porsche is too new to me to do this. I try not to be a ***** when i talk with people who are working hard. But nothing wrong with letting them know that unlike perhaps other folks who give up their keys, I actually care about my cars.

I hate door dings so much, that 29 years ago, at Womack hospital at Ft. Bragg, NC, when my wife was deep into labor with our daughter, i parked so far out in the ER's lot that she had to stop twice for labor pains before we even got to the entrance. She hissed at me "why did you park so far out", and my reply was "I don't want to get any door dings."

When she is ticked at me to this day, she will bring it up. Women never forget these sorts of slights.

all the best...
That is toooo funny!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think most of you should park your cars in your garage and never drive them. Ever.

I don't get the big concern here. If you're paranoid than just don't use a valet service. End of story.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Kuhan
Racer

I too never let a valet park my baby. Once funny incident though was when I went to a swanky downtown hotel for an event and told the guy I would park it myself - he then said "that's fine, put it between the Aston Martin and the Lambo". I felt a little silly...
Old 07-12-2011, 10:37 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
I too never let a valet park my baby. Once funny incident though was when I went to a swanky downtown hotel for an event and told the guy I would park it myself - he then said "that's fine, put it between the Aston Martin and the Lambo". I felt a little silly...
Why?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:34 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Former valet here. I worked at all kinds of places. Restaurants, fancy country clubs, weddings, proms even wakes.

Personally never abused any cars and tried to be as cautious as possible. In four years that I worked as a valet, I had never seen a co-worker abuse a car, joy ride it or steal something from it. Lock keys inside -yes. Leave lights on and kill the battery - yes. Get into accidents - yes but I had never seen something done with a malicious intent.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:51 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by malammik
Former valet here. I worked at all kinds of places. Restaurants, fancy country clubs, weddings, proms even wakes.

Personally never abused any cars and tried to be as cautious as possible. In four years that I worked as a valet, I had never seen a co-worker abuse a car, joy ride it or steal something from it. Lock keys inside -yes. Leave lights on and kill the battery - yes. Get into accidents - yes but I had never seen something done with a malicious intent.
Well I think your comments just reinforce the "no valet" opinions. We can't interview the valets to see if they will be as cautious as you were. I don't even like the idea that Porsche service techs drive my car.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:03 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Well I think your comments just reinforce the "no valet" opinions. We can't interview the valets to see if they will be as cautious as you were. I don't even like the idea that Porsche service techs drive my car.
gosh so funny - it just reminded me, last year i was at dealer doing some minor work on a car and saw myself how their newly hired goon who had to take some other car to car wash stalled it 3 (!) times trying to drive it backwards out from parking. it was truly painful. service manager was with me looking at this too and then walked out to help that guy.

i go to boston quite often, only solution for anybody who cares about the car is to find a daily $12 parking and leave car there, in decent spot and never leave your keys. all parkings have spots for 'good' cars where they do not stack up cars one after another. i do not think they will damage car on purpose but when they pack a dozen cars into 4 cars space in the evening - everything can happen. so, despite of desire to 'show off' we usually simply take wife`s accord when we go downtown. porsche is for places that have their own decent parking, not for downtown zoo.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,630 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
I think most of you should park your cars in your garage and never drive them. Ever. :
Really ? Using your car for what it was designed for (driving the **** out of it)is one thing - letting some juvinile abuse it and possibly damage it is another.

Would you let someone you trust house sit; or would you let the local fraternity keep it for the weekend?

DD here - and I park it outside to boot.

Some valets are great some are not, some parts of town are great some are not, some dealerships/service are great some are not, some roads are great some are not - for me its simple risk aversion.

I think door dings are especially noticeable on these cars due to the geometry of the doors - its part of their great looks. So its natural to try to avoid them.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
Really ? Using your car for what it was designed for (driving the **** out of it)is one thing - letting some juvinile abuse it and possibly damage it is another.

Would you let someone you trust house sit; or would you let the local fraternity keep it for the weekend?
Horrible analogy. Firstly, valet companies have insurance. 2ndly, it would be like letting the frat house sit when you are staying 2 houses down.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:13 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

I have insurance too - doesnt make it any less PITA.

Distance is really irrelevant if you dont know what is being done to your property.

BTW - I think most valets are pretty good - I just didnt trust the two guys/hote/restaraunt in my original post.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:46 PM
smokestack20
Instructor

BHMav8r, you hit it on the head "Risk Aversion". I was a victim of a valet going thru the car, taking a bunch of worthless stuff. None the less, I went ape-****. Couldn't imagine witnessing someone abusing the Porsche! Since the incident, I chose to avoid valet.

I'll admit I could use a little bit of quadcammer more laid back approach.

Ken
Old 07-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Oldskewl
Instructor

I knew a guy that worked at a high end hotel restaurant in Van city as a Valet, and he would show me videos of himself driving customer cars to the parking garage at triple digit speeds down city streets, and on one trip he spun the car out nearly crashing in to parked cars trying to race around a corner. He would call me up telling me what was parked out front and ask if I would want a ride.

I personally would rather park my car and walk, I hate handing my keys over to valets.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:57 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

I think the atty's would probably go after the rest/hotel because they have deeper pockets - but I could see some exposure to me if a valet is in a wreck with damage/injuries since I own the vehicle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I park at a restaraunt/hotel