So I park at a restaraunt/hotel

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by winkingchef
That might have been someone like me.
When I see a Porsche in a lot, I usually park my beater to the right side of them (at max distance the space allows) to "guard" against dings.
Wow... I never considered that angle.
I'd probably freak on the walk to checkout the side of my car.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:36 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I valeted my way through graduate school working about 30 hours weekly on Friday-Sunday. I spent most of my time (about 25 hours on Sat/Sun) at Shepherd's on Clearwater Beach back in the mid 90's prior to the parking garage being built. We usually had about 5 valet's working at a time and none of them ever abused a car to my knowledge. It all depends on the establishment and the valet personnel. I can say that some people who came in had a real chip on their shoulder and were really rude to us. But, the majority were very nice and appreciative. We made it through the long days by seeing the occasional fancy car, hot girl, famous person, etc. One of the notable memories was when Evil Knievel came in driving his black Aston Martin. We DID let him park himself.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
Sorry pal, but Ive seen too many videos of valets abusing patrons cars.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off wasn't reality.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:59 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://jalopnik.com/5427772/st-louis...eos-to-youtube

How about an app, will call it "valet app", that will allow owners to monitor things such as distance driven, RPMs, and speed?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Stack24
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V
Ferris Bueller's Day Off wasn't reality.

Here is a bit of reality which is pretty scary.

As fake as the video may seem, it has been confirmed that a valet at a Hyatt Hotel in downtown St. Louis took customers' cars for a joyride in the underground parking lot. Confirmation comes from the hotel managers, with visual proof of the skidmarks on the ground. The valet company's contract has since been terminated due to the inappropriate behaviour demonstrated by the driver.
http://youtu.be/1Yew0qj32Vs
Old 07-11-2011, 05:19 PM
chbj
Advanced

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Does it suck? sure. Am I gonna spend time worrying about it instead of enjoying a lovely dinner? not for a minute.
+1
Old 07-11-2011, 08:42 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

got to thinking about the valet wanting to keep the key. Perhaps he has had customers "stiff" them by just walking to their car when the valet was busy, and driving off. If you have to get your key from him, you have to pay their fee. My neighbor's kid is presently valet in Aspen, when I see him I'll ask for his take on this.

On the several times i have had valet park my car at a restaraunt, and did not know them from before, i have smiled and told the valet "no door dings on the care, i would appreciate your taking good care of my car". Of course, that was with other cars, my Porsche is too new to me to do this. I try not to be a ***** when i talk with people who are working hard. But nothing wrong with letting them know that unlike perhaps other folks who give up their keys, I actually care about my cars.

I hate door dings so much, that 29 years ago, at Womack hospital at Ft. Bragg, NC, when my wife was deep into labor with our daughter, i parked so far out in the ER's lot that she had to stop twice for labor pains before we even got to the entrance. She hissed at me "why did you park so far out", and my reply was "I don't want to get any door dings."

When she is ticked at me to this day, she will bring it up. Women never forget these sorts of slights.

all the best...
Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,357 Posts

For me its not about the professionalism or otherwise of the valet; its about the limited liability of the parking contract.

If I park the car, and it is damaged its my fault; if they park the car and it gets damaged, its still my "problem" ...

No one will take the same level of care over your car than you do, (although I expect dealers etc to exercise care) if you have a problem with that, park it yourself. thats why I do!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:35 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i hate valets most the time..

i just wanna park it close and i'll tip them and keep the keys.. ive had plenty that allow it, even help me back it in.. but others get rude and act offended and then i leave.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:17 AM
Zdascope
Intermediate

really? First, in most situations, the valet is going about 500 to 1000ft at most.
Just a month ago I went to a really nice hotel and valet parked there. When I got back and drove off, a block later I noticed my odometer had picked up FIVE miles!!

I quite frankly don't care....If I'm at a decent restaurant, I'll let them valet either the s500 or the 993. Never been let down.

I have insurance.
The hotel I went to is one of Portland's nice chic hotels. I totally expected them to have "professional" valets that respected all the nice cars that used their service. Sad thing is, even though we have comprehensive insurance, if they smoke your clutch or eat up your tires, you'll be the one picking up the tab...

After that incident, my 911 is never getting valeted. Now my 545 - I valet that car - it looks sedate and conservative (like your S500).
Old 07-12-2011, 09:51 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I've only got one car and I live in the NYC area. A few of the multi-level garages will not allow you to park your own car... these are mostly garages like the Time-Warner garage at columbus circle where you see 6 Bentley coupes, 2 Rolls and a few Ferraris. They will not let you park your car there- they've told me it's because of insurance purposes. Occassionally there will be a space on the entry floor that I'll pull right into but that's unusual. Obviously having someone else park it kills me even at a swanky garage where J-lo parks her Rolls... I worry most about the clutch but there are no other alternatives (except sometimes I ride the moto).

If there's an alternative at all (like a parking garage in brooklyn) I usually park myself or go to the next garage if they won't let me. Sometimes I tell the attendant that that "the clutch is wearing out and it's tricky" or something.

Overall, the parking and the potholes are the most unenjoyable aspects of the car. Everything else is a total joy.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Zdascope
Just a month ago I went to a really nice hotel and valet parked there. When I got back and drove off, a block later I noticed my odometer had picked up FIVE miles!!
If you're so worried about that, you can take a pic of the odometer when you drop it off, let them know you've done so, and let them know you'll make a fuss if any unneccessary mileage has occurred.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:30 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

NYC garages are the WORST. Hated it.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:43 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,804 Likes on 1,776 Posts

I know you sign your rights away when you get a valet ticket, but what kind of recorse would you have if you recorded (with a hidden camera) abuse in your car, off the lot. Certainly, abuse and joyriding are not normal/customary for parking the vehicle.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

If you're so worried about that, you can take a pic of the odometer when you drop it off, let them know you've done so, and let them know you'll make a fuss if any unneccessary mileage has occurred.
I don't know; sounds like a great way to antagonize someone right out of the gate and might incent them to find some other way to screw with you. Most interactions with people don't turn out well if you start by basically saying, "I don't trust you". If I have concerns about valets (I do), I park or go elsewhere. If I have no choice but to use a valet, I drive another car. As a last resort, I just smile, offer something extra for good care, and hope for the best.

Quick Reply: So I park at a restaraunt/hotel