Sponsored by:

Tell Me Something I don't know about the 997

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

If you touch the sunroof button at the very inner edge it is automatically one touch open and close. Outside edge you have to touch it twice.
If you pull the fog light button to the most extended position you get the european rear tail light "foglight" which brightens your drivers side taillight more than the passenger side.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Interesting. Like I mentioned, my wife's '11 E550 has a rear fog light on each side. In fact, you can have both of them on, or choose one side or the other. I guess that's for if you've pulled over to the side of the road.

Having one on while you're driving just makes it look like the passenger side light has burned out.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

That's what people kept telling me until I figured it out on here
Old 01-29-2013, 01:27 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Interesting. Like I mentioned, my wife's '11 E550 has a rear fog light on each side. In fact, you can have both of them on, or choose one side or the other. I guess that's for if you've pulled over to the side of the road.

Having one on while you're driving just makes it look like the passenger side light has burned out.
it is supposed to be one sided, drivers then know that that is the fog light...they teach it in driver's ed in der vaterland
Old 01-30-2013, 12:35 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by kkswow12
it is supposed to be one sided, drivers then know that that is the fog light...they teach it in driver's ed in der vaterland
...unless it's a Mercedes and the driver has turned on the passenger side rear foglight. Heaven help the overtaker if he tries to pass in that situation.

Well, I'm sure it makes sense to the german Autofahrer.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
...unless it's a Mercedes and the driver has turned on the passenger side rear foglight. Heaven help the overtaker if he tries to pass in that situation.

Well, I'm sure it makes sense to the german Autofahrer.
that might be for parking in fogged situations...? just guessing, i won't even pretend i can get inside the german head, don't want to, leave that to them
Old 11-20-2013, 01:52 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Get the National Geographic Ultimate Factories Porsche DVD.
You can see the 997 build from start to finish with a complete tour of the Stuttgart plants. Very cool.
It's also on youtube in 5 parts.
- you could always stick a GoPro on the back if you wanna see the spoiler go up
- if you lock your car via remote, after 7 days the car "forgets" the key remote and you have to unlock with the key and reprogram
- if you don't lock it, it never forgets.
- headlight switch, pull one click=fog lights, two clicks=rear fog light, left side only.
Not sure this is true as I locked my car with the remote, went to Hawaii for 10 days, got back and the remote worked just fine...
Old 11-20-2013, 03:59 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Not sure this is true as I locked my car with the remote, went to Hawaii for 10 days, got back and the remote worked just fine...
Yep - it's true...or at least it is with my car. That's the way it's described in the owner's manual too.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:03 PM
mlv_250
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cam2008
based on this thread.... most Porsche owner's believe themselves to be comedians. (Don't quit your day jobs!) j/k.
Engage emergency air breaks by simutaneously lifting the two small levers located on the driver side door sill.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...997ELECTRONICS

Last edited by mlv_250; 08-02-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:07 PM
westgate997
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Couple tips!

2. You close the "frunk" by pressing your fist on the Porsche emblem.
UNTRUE. Factory Porsche tech said that you always push just below it (on the paint) and showed me the alignment between the latch on the underside and the emblem on the top. He then showed me several random 997's on the used lot (where I was parked) and several had depressions under the emblem.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:15 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by westgate997
UNTRUE. Factory Porsche tech said that you always push just below it (on the paint) and showed me the alignment between the latch on the underside and the emblem on the top. He then showed me several random 997's on the used lot (where I was parked) and several had depressions under the emblem.
Three posts following the one you quoted already addressed this. The correct method is also described in the Owner's Manual.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
- if you lock your car via remote, after 7 days the car "forgets" the key remote and you have to unlock with the key and reprogram
- if you don't lock it, it never forgets.
Not quite right.

After about 7 days of non-use, if locked, the car goes to very low power mode, to conserve the battery power. This means it powers down most of the electrical system, including the wireless key receiver system.

If that happens, you have to unlock the car with the physical key. The systems then power up... but as the car now has the door open, it gives you a few seconds to confirm you are authorized to open the car.. so you have to press the key less remote button to disable the alarm (or else, plug your ears)

It does not 'forget' about your key fob, nor does it require any reprogramming.

If you do NOT lock the car, then the car never goes to sleep and it will discharge your battery much quicker over 2-4 weeks of sitting there.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The Red Zone to which you refer was on the European Speedos at 50 kph (which is roughly 31 mph) because that's the speed limit in German cities. A simple visual reminder. Has absolutely nothing to do with gears and gearing.
Yes, that is correct. The default speed limit - if not otherwise posted, within German municipalities (when you drive past the yellow 'town name' signs) is 50kph by law.

Originally Posted by simsgw
Yeah. 50 kph sounds about right for a nation struggling to come into the twentieth century when the rest of us were approaching the twenty-first. Northern Europe had less excuse of course, but... beyond that, we're into politics instead of cars. Especially because I infer from Edgy's choice of tense that some or all the roads in German cities are still posted at those parking lot speeds.

Gary
If you have ever driven in Germany you would not be so arrogant as to assume this was parking lot speeds. In places where towns and roads have been around much longer than the US has been a country, the roads are narrow, winding, and most importantly, pedestrian and bicycle traffic is much more common. Its not all about the car driver... after all, the country that legislated these 50kph in-town speed limits, also legislated that you are smart enough to drive sensibly and can go as fast as you like on stretches of the super highway system.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:06 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Minok
Yes, that is correct. The default speed limit - if not otherwise posted, within German municipalities (when you drive past the yellow 'town name' signs) is 50kph by law.

If you have ever driven in Germany you would not be so arrogant as to assume this was parking lot speeds. In places where towns and roads have been around much longer than the US has been a country, the roads are narrow, winding, and most importantly, pedestrian and bicycle traffic is much more common. Its not all about the car driver... after all, the country that legislated these 50kph in-town speed limits, also legislated that you are smart enough to drive sensibly and can go as fast as you like on stretches of the super highway system.
I doubt Gary is going to be concerned about your critique of something he posted more than a year before he died.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:18 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanR
...It's also not a bad thing to put your foot all the way to the floor when you are moving forward.
It is a very bad thing if the engine OIL (not the water) temperature is not sufficiently warmed up.

Quick Reply: Tell Me Something I don't know about the 997