Sponsored by:

911 reliability on a slippery slope?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 03:41 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBarron2007
lol blind loyalty like this runs rampid through alot of boards. your response tells me you have NO ground to stand on.. its fine.. i love my car now that they have put a new motor in it and might even buy another.. would never own one without a warrenty though..
Not a lot of loyalty involved, since it's our first Porsche of any kind. Maybe you should try a Renault? Or... an Alfa?

cars are just to damn unreliable..
Ah... well, in that case I do know a man has a horse he'll make you a price on. Never thought to ask what time it set at the Ring though.

Gary
Old 06-19-2011, 04:16 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

again mypoint is missed..or being ignored

When you go to forums of other brands, you dont find on every page a member coming on asking about engine reliablity. you dont hear about guys replacing engines in cars with 4000, 10000, 16000 miles on them on a areg basis.. You keep bringing up the chevy comment.. Porsche is a second or third car player. 90% of the cars both boxter and 911 are NOT daily drivers. they are not seeing the kind of milage in the short amount of time other brands do, so of course if you drive you car 5-10 thousand miles a year your going to see less problems than a company whos primary modals double that if not more. The other fact is, when something bad happens, and porsche comes in and cleans up its mess so quick and painless, it makes people feel better.

The next point is guys are saying i have had p cars for xx years.. This is 996 and 997.1 problem from what it looks like so far. those are the only cars that matter. I have no dought that if you had a 993, you would not be having these problems..lol they are a water cooled engine issue.

before you say i am wrong about the actual issue i am bringing up ( your dancing around it like a kid at a b day party with a pinata) go do some homework. quit relying on ONE company who is talknig about general satisfaction, not actual engine reliability like this thread is discussing.

lets name the common problems of these engines, then if you feel the need to continue calling me wrong, at least come up with something better than "J.D power says so"

1. HUGE sand casting problems in early engines. large number of 3.6 engines replaced because of this
2. water pump failures
3. RMS seal problems on cars, Milage is not the cause as some have been replaced with as little as a few thousand miles
4 IMS bearing failures that does not just cause leaks, it fails and destroys entire engine.
5 short cut in headgasket fix causes engines to run warmer than needed, which alot of people think is the cause of the number 6 cylinder glazing and ensuing damage. This problem has really only been looked into by the hardcore engine guys in Europe so not alot has been said about it over here that i can find, it eems the engine has a very small window between normal operatiing temp and overheating, thus causing the pistons in 4 and 6 ( i have seen more 6 like mine fail than 4, but 4 is common enough to get mentioned) to be damaged along with cylinder wall because of the deminishing clearence with the increased heat.

unknown amounts of engines have been replaced because of these above problems. some dealerships say they see it once a week, others say once a year. either way, all of these problems seem to have been fixed on 09 up cars that have a totally redesigned engine.

these problems are with ALL water cooled boxter engines, not just the 911.
You seem to be unhappy with PAG's product and reliability. You may be happier leaving the brand, as life is short and being unhappy about a car is not good for one's health.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:38 PM
RedBarron2007
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
You seem to be unhappy with PAG's product and reliability. You may be happier leaving the brand, as life is short and being unhappy about a car is not good for one's health.
trust me, if the car was not such a unbelievable machine, I would have left it sitting the day after it blew up the first time.. These cars are magic, I just happen to get into them when there motors seem to be of questionable reliability. i drive it every day. I have put 7000 miles on it in 3 months. if i did not like the car itself, it would have been gone.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:50 PM
dansen
Intermediate

When you go to forums of other brands, you dont find on every page a member coming on asking about engine reliablity. you dont hear about guys replacing engines in cars with 4000, 10000, 16000 miles on them on a areg basis.. You keep bringing up the chevy comment.. Porsche is a second or third car player. 90% of the cars both boxter and 911 are NOT daily drivers. they are not seeing the kind of milage in the short amount of time other brands do, so of course if you drive you car 5-10 thousand miles a year your going to see less problems than a company whos primary modals double that if not more. The other fact is, when something bad happens, and porsche comes in and cleans up its mess so quick and painless, it makes people feel better.
I understand your feeling but every product has a rate of defected. The warranty will take care of all the defected items. I don’t know how you come up with 90% of Boxster and 911 are not dd. Just the lease along should be a lot more than 10%. If you are paying over $1g per month, you wouldn’t drive your Civic to work. I know you did a lot of researches on internet but no one has a budget to do a research like JD. If you think Porsche paid JD to rate from the worst reliability to the best, I have nothing to say.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Jim W
Instructor

RedBarron I understand and agree with your points. It does seem that others are not really understanding what you are saying. Forums are not always the best place to have a reasoned discussion.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:26 PM
RedBarron2007
Advanced

Originally Posted by dansen
I understand your feeling but every product has a rate of defected. The warranty will take care of all the defected items. I don’t know how you come up with 90% of Boxster and 911 are not dd. Just the lease along should be a lot more than 10%. If you are paying over $1g per month, you wouldn’t drive your Civic to work. I know you did a lot of researches on internet but no one has a budget to do a research like JD. If you think Porsche paid JD to rate from the worst reliability to the best, I have nothing to say.
never said j.d was getting paid, but i am saying they are doing INITIAL satasfaction ratings.. not 1 year, 2 year, hey my motor blew up at 10 thousand miles in or 4 thousand miles in but hey, they at least put a reman motor in my 100,000 car for me for free amounts of time.

porsche has exellent customer support..

Quick Reply: 911 reliability on a slippery slope?