Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Porsche Owner - Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:56 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

My neighbor and friend owns a tuned up 135 that puts out 370hp. I let him test drive my '08 C2S recently. You're right... they are completely different cars but he came away saying that he now considers his 135 a sporty car and the C2S a sports car. I also drove an e36 M3 mod monster with SC and all the suspension work for 10 years... I have to agree that these 911's are just cherry.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:23 PM
db
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Sweet! Be sure to autox as much as you can before tracking the car. Make sure you push it hard enough to spin (but spin in a safe part of the course). *** engine slot car has handling characteristics at and past the limits that are counter intuitive to a BMW. Turn off PSM for autocross. Much easier to learn the limits that way.
Oh yeah, I can't wait to see what the car can really do. I agree about getting comfortable with the handling dynamics in a controlled autocross environment before POC DEs. I did the same with my 135i and advanced much quicker that way. Now, to decide on a budget-friendly set of track wheels and tires...
Old 06-14-2011, 12:47 PM
mcmike
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Douglas! It brings me great joy to see my brother from another mother joining the Porsche family.
You've picked a fine car...I see years of Porsche adventures ahead. Cheers
Old 06-15-2011, 02:35 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Great looking C2S. I like the wheels better than mine!
Jim
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2011, 11:08 AM
db
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mcmike
Douglas! It brings me great joy to see my brother from another mother joining the Porsche family.
You've picked a fine car...I see years of Porsche adventures ahead. Cheers
Thanks, Mike. This is all your fault! Bring on Rennsport Reunion and let the adventures begin.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:35 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by db
Well, the C2S is a more engaging driving experience. All of the controls and driver interfaces with the Porsche are very direct and mechanical feeling, while the 135i is more synthetic and dampened. The 135i has much more torque and low-end power, while the 997 has the top-end advantage. Around town, the 1 feels faster and would easily embarrass cars with more power. The mag tests show that the C2S has the acceleration edge, but not by much.

Both have great brakes, but the C2S has a firm pedal feel with no play in the movement, something the 135i can't match. The C2S's steering is much lighter, and getting used to the light front-end is a bit of an adjustment. The 135i's short wheelbase made it a handful in tight, 2nd gear autocross turns. If the steering wheel wasn't straight, the rear-end would want to come out quickly under aggressive throttle usage, while from what I can tell so far (and have read), the C2S has the traction advantage from the massive rear footprint and weight over the rear wheels. I'll explore that aspect soon on track.

The seating position in the C2S is superior, allowing a lower center of gravity, whereas with the 135i, I had the seat as low as it would go and still felt like I was sitting tall. I'm a normally-aspirated guy at heart, and while the 135i is about the best you can get in terms of minimal turbo lag, nothing beats the responsiveness of an N/A setup. A sports car has to have a proper soundtrack to go with the experience, and there the C2S is worlds away from the turbocharged 1's muted engine and exhaust note.

While the 1 is more tuneable (370hp with a simple $800 flash) and can be uncorked for better sound, it'll never match the chassis rigidity, engineering for prolonged track use or superior traction of the 997 platform. It's really not a fair comparison, pitting an $89K Porsche against a $43K BMW, but at the end of the day, the 997 is the genuine article and the measuring stick. However, at CPO prices, it's a realistic conversation.
Congrats on the 911 purchase! I really enjoyed this write-up. I keep telling my wife that I work in order to support my Porsche addictions! And the more 911s that I drive, the more 911s I want in my garage... They are all so damn much fun and different, but at the core have that 911 visceral feel...

Enjoy!
-Blake
Old 06-22-2011, 04:10 AM
andrewinla
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great car and love those wheels.

I'm a CCA autoX guy who got rid of his Z4 M Coupe and preparing to get a 997 similar to yours soon. I use to do AutoX down in SD with a great driver in a E36 M3 named Peter.

I will look at Pacific Porsche when read.
Did Auto Gallery or Rusnak Westlake seem worth dealing with?
I'm looking to do my search from coast to coast to get close to the specific color/options I want.
Again congrats!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:06 AM
db
Intermediate

Very cool. San Diego was my home turf, too, in my white 135i with coral red leather. I've ridden with Peter in his M3, and yes, he's very quick.

Other than Pacific, Rusnak Westlake Village is top-notch. Contact Mark Stratmeyer at Rusnak (local POC Porsche sales rep) and he'll take care of you. He can take down your specific needs and let you know when the right car arrives. I tried Auto Gallery, but their prices were way too high - they like to haggle, where Pacific and Rusnak just want to move inventory.

Quick Reply: New Porsche Owner - Carrera S