CPO just saved me $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:15 PM
mihink
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO just saved me $$$$

CPO saved me > $1500 today...for minor items
1. Hood struts (weak apparently) didn't notice - $550!
2. Front clunking at low speeds - replaced lower control arm and tightened bolts - $250
3. Front trunk light not working - no big deal I thought - needed new ECM to control light and emergency truck handle (need to remove bumper to install) and a new bulb !!- $300
4. Slight notchiness getting into 4th/6th gear (not a biggie either)- replaced and readjusted shift linkages in factory sport shifter - $200
5. Horn malfunction (didn't notice - sounded fine to me) - Low note horn replaced - $200
6. Coolant cap was not tight (never noticed) - $75 for new cap - are u kidding me and they even checked the pressure on the cap to make sure it was factory spec!!

Only thing I paid for was a new key with programming and road force balancing 4 tires for a very slight vibration at HWY speeds (now resolved)- total $300.

To everyone out there - get a CPO...lucky I did! Keeping all fingers/toes crossed that the car doesn't give me any mechanical problems.

Last edited by mihink; 05-10-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:18 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Awesome. Happy it worked in your favor. I'm looking at a car with that too. You have me thinking, how is CPO documentated when you purchase? Or how do you know you really have Porsche CPO?
Thanks
Old 05-10-2011, 08:33 PM
mihink
Advanced

Originally Posted by fjpdds
Awesome. Happy it worked in your favor. I'm looking at a car with that too. You have me thinking, how is CPO documentated when you purchase? Or how do you know you really have Porsche CPO?
Thanks
Bought CPO from private owner. Called Porsche NA BEFORE purchasing to confirm CPO status and when warranty expires (can't trust everybody). As soon as I got the car, faxed over my registration to prove that I am the new owner to Porsche NA. Called my local dealership with VIN BEFORE going in for service to make sure the CPO status was under my name and not the previous owner.

Went to dealership to check a few MINOR things and get a new key programmed. BAM.. suddenly little issues turned into big $$$.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:38 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mihink
Bought CPO from private owner. Called Porsche NA BEFORE purchasing to confirm CPO status and when warranty expires (can't trust everybody). As soon as I got the car, faxed over my registration to prove that I am the new owner to Porsche NA. Called my local dealership with VIN BEFORE going in for service to make sure the CPO status was under my name and not the previous owner.
+1, switching the CPO warranty over to the new owner is easy as pie. there's actually a card in the warranty book to fill out and mail/fax to PCNA.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:40 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by fjpdds
Thanks
I have Porsche paperwork showing CPO plus the CPO status is tied to the VIN so the dealer's computer shows it too.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:40 PM
mihink
Advanced

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
+1, switching the CPO warranty over to the new owner is easy as pie. there's actually a card in the warranty book to fill out and mail/fax to PCNA.
Correct. But my OCD took over so I mailed in the card and faxed over my registration to make sure all bases were covered. Just in case the card got "lost" in the mail somehow
Old 05-10-2011, 08:44 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mihink
Correct. But my OCD took over so I mailed in the card and faxed over my registration to make sure all bases were covered. Just in case the card got "lost" in the mail somehow
belts and suspenders
Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks, a bunch. I'm dealing out of state and with unknown people. I'll call PCNA before I sign that check!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:47 PM
mihink
Advanced

As I age....my OCD is getting worse!

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
belts and suspenders
Old 05-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Spectro28
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a great dealership experience, too. I know they get reimbursed for CPO work, but it sounds like they were thorough (or really slow, and needed work to fill the time).

I'm in DC, and not yet committed to a particular dealership for maintenance of my '10 C2S - which dealership did you use? Would you recommend them?

Thanks!
Marc
Old 05-11-2011, 10:09 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

$550 for hood strut? WTF!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:48 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My trunk lid strut was getting weak, I ordered a Porsche OEM strut for about $30 and installed it in 2 minutes. $550? Looks like the dealer is sticking it to PNA.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I saved about $2,000 with my RMS and transmission leak. All worth it, IMO.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

This highlights the reason I purchased an exclusionary aka bumper-to-bumper 6 yr warranty for mine when the CPO expired, even though I've had the LN IMS bearing retrofit performed. Unless you have the tools, time and skills to DIY, the so-called "minor" repairs (on high-end German cars in particular) are shockingly expensive. My Porsche was hard-starting hot, and needed a simple cable. No computers, no intricate mechanical devices, just a thick wire covered in plastic sheathing. NINE HUNDRED BUCKS!! That was just in the first month of the warranty. My car is already 6 years old, and between now and year 12 it's ludicrous to think I won't have more than another $3700 in covered repairs. (Just make sure you get an exclusionary warranty. The ones with a set list of covered items might not cover a lot of model-specific gewgaws.)
Old 05-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Personally, I fine the CPO to be great reassurance but the amount of money you save is debatable.

Fix it yourself: $50
Pay an indi to fix it: $200
Have Porsche fix it: $500...

Quick Reply: CPO just saved me $$$$