Sponsored by:

CPO just saved me $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:44 PM
mihink
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
This highlights the reason I purchased an exclusionary aka bumper-to-bumper 6 yr warranty for mine when the CPO expired, even though I've had the LN IMS bearing retrofit performed. Unless you have the tools, time and skills to DIY, the so-called "minor" repairs (on high-end German cars in particular) are shockingly expensive. My Porsche was hard-starting hot, and needed a simple cable. No computers, no intricate mechanical devices, just a thick wire covered in plastic sheathing. NINE HUNDRED BUCKS!! That was just in the first month of the warranty. My car is already 6 years old, and between now and year 12 it's ludicrous to think I won't have more than another $3700 in covered repairs. (Just make sure you get an exclusionary warranty. The ones with a set list of covered items might not cover a lot of model-specific gewgaws.)
Please tell us the name of your warranty company, it would help a lot of members who are looking to get a quality warranty at reasonable prices. The aftermarket warranty industry seems to be full of scammers who want $$$ but won't cover you when you need it.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:02 AM
dsanto
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems a shame to have that much to be fixed on a P car so soon. Glad you had the CPO
Old 05-12-2011, 12:20 AM
TJ Elliott
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dumb question but what does CPO stand for. I get what it is, just curious about the acronym.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmirand
My trunk lid strut was getting weak, I ordered a Porsche OEM strut for about $30 and installed it in 2 minutes. $550? Looks like the dealer is sticking it to PNA.
+1

That's huge mark-up. Took me 5 minutes to do mine so I guess I am little slow.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 AM
Sharkys
Advanced

1. Hood struts (weak apparently) didn't notice - $550!

That pretty much sums it up. Makes one wonder if what they replaced, really needed to be replaced. And, what unintended damage during the fix will require a future visit. I'm all for required maintenance, but I frown on unnecessary fixes and maintenance. Great that you bought a CPO car through a private party which means you got a great deal. However, buying CPO from a dealer means maintenance costs are paid for on the front end. There is no such thing as a free lunch. Just my two cents.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:27 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ Elliott
Dumb question but what does CPO stand for. I get what it is, just curious about the acronym.
CPO = Certified Pre-Owned
Old 05-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Sharkys
However, buying CPO from a dealer means maintenance costs are paid for on the front end.
Actually that's not true. CPO does not include maintenance or wear-and-tear items like brakes, wipers, clutch lining, etc. In the case of Porsche, currently, it mirrors the original new-car factory warranty.

Originally Posted by mihink
Please tell us the name of your warranty company, it would help a lot of members who are looking to get a quality warranty at reasonable prices. The aftermarket warranty industry seems to be full of scammers who want $$$ but won't cover you when you need it.
I prefer not to say in the forum, because I don't want it to appear as if I'm shilling for them, but if you PM me I will be glad to respond as I have for others.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:23 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i believe is added protection of the CPO. when I bot mine the total wrrty was 5yr and approx 95k miles. So basically it was longer than that of a new car.

CPOing a "no issue" car is easy and cheap for the dealer.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:06 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 893 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by mihink
CPO saved me > $1500 today...for minor items
1. Hood struts (weak apparently) didn't notice - $550!
2. Front clunking at low speeds - replaced lower control arm and tightened bolts - $250
3. Front trunk light not working - no big deal I thought - needed new ECM to control light and emergency truck handle (need to remove bumper to install) and a new bulb !!- $300
4. Slight notchiness getting into 4th/6th gear (not a biggie either)- replaced and readjusted shift linkages in factory sport shifter - $200
5. Horn malfunction (didn't notice - sounded fine to me) - Low note horn replaced - $200
6. Coolant cap was not tight (never noticed) - $75 for new cap - are u kidding me and they even checked the pressure on the cap to make sure it was factory spec!!

Only thing I paid for was a new key with programming and road force balancing 4 tires for a very slight vibration at HWY speeds (now resolved)- total $300.

To everyone out there - get a CPO...lucky I did! Keeping all fingers/toes crossed that the car doesn't give me any mechanical problems.
LOL
these service prices are why PCNA has a team of auditors that travel to dealers to ensure they are only doing required warranty work.
the sealer made cash of PCNA, not you.
maybe your dealer is next on the list?

glad it worked out for you

Craig
Old 05-12-2011, 01:24 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Personally, I fine the CPO to be great reassurance but the amount of money you save is debatable.

Fix it yourself: $50
Pay an indi to fix it: $200
Have Porsche fix it: $500...
1.5 years and 50,000 KM driven CPO covered:

- cracked coolant tank ($500)
- door switch (window wouldn't stay down when door opened) $300
- Clutch pressure plate failure (new clutch, slave, flywheel etc) $5000 (Flywheel COULD have been resurfaced but warranty covered it)
- Right head gasket leaking coolant $5000 or more (30+ hours labour)
- 2 corroded coil packs $500
- Broken shifter linkage $400
- Broken plastic housing on engine lid fan $350

Its going back in this month b/c the A/C stopped working and there's a clunking in the front end. I'm also going to have them check a ticking noise from the engine bay. Needless to say, the CPO has paid for its self in spades. Still nobody seems to appreciate it when I'm selling it.... sad actually. These above problems are mostly common issues with the 997/996 cars and many cars will experience them. Mathematically seems like a no-brainer to me.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:31 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure my horn is broken too.. only has high note. I'll add it to my list for the dealer at the end of the month.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmirand
My trunk lid strut was getting weak, I ordered a Porsche OEM strut for about $30 and installed it in 2 minutes. $550? Looks like the dealer is sticking it to PNA.
Ditto for the coolant cap. Those things are about $10. The price of parts just doesn't sound right at all.

Quick Reply: CPO just saved me $$$$