Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange green fluid under car

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:56 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's official, we need a blood spatter analyst!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:47 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

If it's exhasut gas condensate the pH will be in the range of roughly 3-9. Most likely more towards acidic. If you have enough you could test it with a pH strip.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

new theory...you describe it as green, but the photos look yellow.

Mt Dew Syndrome. This is where something decidedly (****) yellow appears to be green because it's dispensed from a green bottle. Very bad cases have regular Mt Dew drinkers believing all things ****-yellow are actually green. Do you drink Mt Dew?
Old 01-26-2012, 05:34 PM
garybr
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
new theory...you describe it as green, but the photos look yellow.

Mt Dew Syndrome. This is where something decidedly (****) yellow appears to be green because it's dispensed from a green bottle. Very bad cases have regular Mt Dew drinkers believing all things ****-yellow are actually green. Do you drink Mt Dew?
LOL ...I wish it was that simple to solve this mystery. I will be back home tomorrow and I'll see if I have any more drips this week as ive been away on business for a few days.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:58 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by garybr
Thanks, it try that but im pretty sure ther isnt anything in there ...but you never know. Strange thing is this never hapenned in many months until after Porsche serviced it. But thay have had it up on a ramp since and can't see any sign of any liquid. The even took me out to the worksho and showed me and it all looked dry. I then drove home (in the dry) put it in thae garage and didnt drive it for a week or so and then looked and I had another another couple of pools of yellow/green liquid. It doesnt seem to have any smell either. Strange.

Thanks for all the input. I'll get to the bottom of this somehow.
Did you ever figured it out? I have the same problem. Only a couple of drops, greenish yellow fluid, watery, no smell, looks exactly like your photos. I never had them until I installed my sports cats. I was running no cats before. I had it checked out twice already by my dealer, they had it up on the lift and said, my 997 has no leaks and everything is dry. I'm sure it is, once I drive it to the dealer, everything burns off. It comes from my exhaust, almost like condensation from copper. Only a drop or two and usually noticed it two days after it's parked.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:12 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 289 Likes on 172 Posts

There is absolutely no way that would be cat urine without you knowing exactly what it was. Cat **** is pretty pungent.

If it really drips in the same spot or spots maybe get one of those water spill sensors and maybe that'll give you an idea of when and how often it happens. I can't imagine not being able to trace a leak. It may burn off by the time it gets to a dealer but you should be able to track it down.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:05 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

That one photo that shows both spots in the same pic, the spread and symettry makes me think it's exhaust related and is coming from condensation from the mufflers. Question #1 - do your mufflers or cats have a weep hole for condensation to drain out? #@ - If you start the car and let it run for a couple minutes where condensation forms in the exhaust, do you see anything dripping out in those locations. Any chance you have copper exhaust gaskets at the joint between the mufflers and cats? Do you see any black exhaust residue at any of the joints that would signify a small exhaust leak? If there's a small leak and either a gasket or material in one of those components is copper or something else that turns a color when exposed to moisture, the condensation drips could be a color and not clear. Catalytic converters contain platinum, but that's a very unreactive metal and doesn't turn color which is why it's used for diamond ring settings, etc.

I love a good mystery and am now curious about this one.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:30 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Still a mystery to me, just went out of the garage to check, there is a tiny drop. I took a dry white paper towel to wipe, no green fluid, just black dirt. I took a flashlight to look and didn't see anything. Every hose, pipe, metal parts are dry. Like I said, I take my 997 in for checkup every quarter, it's complimentary, and I like to checkout new inventory on my dealer's lot. And every time the mechanic say my 997 is perfect. No leaks. etc.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:18 AM
jaguiler
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI - has anyone ever figured out what the green watery fluid is ? I have the same - this is the second time now - in 2 months. Could it be related to road salt ? It is winter here with snow and ice. I tasted the fluid last time and it was salty. I did find some dried fluid on one exhaust pipe, so it does look like it is condensate - but the color is a nice clean florescent green. The first time I passed it off a some kind of animal pee. No reason to post pics, they are almost identical as the pictures above !
Old 02-20-2018, 12:12 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Have you tried licking it yet?
Old 02-20-2018, 09:32 AM
jaguiler
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes - I have - it was watery and salty, not an oil or alcohol. The same as described above....
Old 02-24-2018, 02:41 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 91469972
That is cat urine! Male cats like to spray **** anywhere and everywhere to mark their territory. Check your rims!
Cat urine? He said odorless!

Quick Reply: Strange green fluid under car