Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: did YOUR car suffer an IMS failure
yes, the IMS failed
5.66%
No issues with IMS
94.34%
Voters: 1660. You may not vote on this poll

IMS failure for your 997 car, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1, .2, m96, m97, failure mode)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 11:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,230 Likes on 3,971 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorainier
There shop said there were no pieces missing from the fins. I do trust them, as they're a long time Porsche shop with a great reputation. I can't check the motor, my car is sitting in the shop while I sort through my options (sell, rebuild, rebuild and modify).
Maybe ask them and they'll provide the info. It would be another good data point for us here.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:07 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

t
There shop said there were no pieces missing from the fins. I do trust them, as they're a long time Porsche shop with a great reputation. I can't check the motor, my car is sitting in the shop while I sort through my options (sell, rebuild, rebuild and modify).
I hope your engine core is okay. It should not cost too much to tear down the engine to the point where they can have a pretty good idea whether it can be rebuilt using your existing engine case.

My M97 failed a little less catastrophically (bore score), and I was able to have Chris' German Auto rebuild it using LN Engineering replacement cylinder liners and various other key replacement parts including the IMS Solution. After analyzing my options, I figured this was the most economical (but not cheap) way out of the woods, especially since I planned to keep my car forever. It's now a 4.0 liter engine with all the usual M96/97 problems resolved and a lot of expensive wear issues (e.g., AOS, starter cable, water pump, clutch) resolved while everything was apart. I think of those things as "prepaid maintenance" which help to partially offset the shock of the rebuild costs, or at least $4,000 to $5,000 of them, so long as I keep the car a long time. I figure the rebuilt engine is actually *better* than new as the original built-in engineering problems have been addressed.

If the core is shot, either check into getting another engine case that can be reworked or consider an RND engine (i.e., essentially rebuilt by the LN Engineering folks).
Old 11-13-2018, 01:32 AM
Motorainier
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustinCase
t

I hope your engine core is okay. It should not cost too much to tear down the engine to the point where they can have a pretty good idea whether it can be rebuilt using your existing engine case.

My M97 failed a little less catastrophically (bore score), and I was able to have Chris' German Auto rebuild it using LN Engineering replacement cylinder liners and various other key replacement parts including the IMS Solution. After analyzing my options, I figured this was the most economical (but not cheap) way out of the woods, especially since I planned to keep my car forever. It's now a 4.0 liter engine with all the usual M96/97 problems resolved and a lot of expensive wear issues (e.g., AOS, starter cable, water pump, clutch) resolved while everything was apart. I think of those things as "prepaid maintenance" which help to partially offset the shock of the rebuild costs, or at least $4,000 to $5,000 of them, so long as I keep the car a long time. I figure the rebuilt engine is actually *better* than new as the original built-in engineering problems have been addressed.

If the core is shot, either check into getting another engine case that can be reworked or consider an RND engine (i.e., essentially rebuilt by the LN Engineering folks).
I hope it is as well. It was the least dramatic motor problem I've ever had, no noise, oil, smoke, it just quit running. Are you happy with the 4.0 build, and has it been reliable? My car is at Chris' now.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:48 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

I hope it is as well. It was the least dramatic motor problem I've ever had, no noise, oil, smoke, it just quit running. Are you happy with the 4.0 build, and has it been reliable? My car is at Chris' now.
Very happy. 4.0l has not been a dramatic difference from the original 3.8l, assuming, of course, you ignore the horrible oil mileage and the risk of other catastrophic engine failure of the original 3.8l. I now have 5,000 miles on it, and I think it is still breaking in a little as both my gas mileage and oil mileage are still improving (both were good already when I first got it back). I may take it in for a dyno after another 5,000 miles to see how it all turned out. It feels like the engine that should have been in the car when the car was new. I was always a "buy and hold" type of guy, which gives me a shot of coming out in the long run. I helps that I already loved my car just like it is. We essentially upgraded everything that has been a known problem or an eventual wear problem.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:11 AM
Appraiser
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2007 base C2 (3,6l) with 68,000 miles - in my tenure of 3 years and 18k+ miles I've done 10+ DE's, a racing school weekend, 10+ autox and several road trips. No IMS issue.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:13 PM
ca86108
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad this is here so that a new owner can see that only 6% have been affected
Old 01-09-2019, 03:00 AM
Lblade
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2005 997 3.8S MKI, 135,000 kms, no problems but the closed bearing will be replaced by an open C3 or C4 one and a little hole and groove will be made on the pomp side to give the bearing oil in all circumstances.
Also welded the two chain gears to the connecting tube and checked the IMS axle for straightness
Old 01-21-2019, 01:54 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ca86108
I am glad this is here so that a new owner can see that only 6% have been affected
If I understand things well, 6% failure rate, but almost entirely year 2005.

I was originally planning on buying a 996, and had called the dealer service manager here in Ottawa Canada to ask about price. He quote the job, and I asked him if it was the same price for a 997. He replied that he had been a service manager at this dealer (Only Porsche dealer in Ottawa) for 12 years, and that IMS was not an issue with 997s 2006 and up.

Not arguing, but I ended-up thinking that 2006-up were not a problem. So, I'm glad I haven't purchased yet and will concentrate my search towards 2009-up.

So I am editing this reply cause I was thinking.... Is it possible that all this time, I was looking for a 997.1 2006-2008 to be on the safe side, and all this time, the smartest move to make is to buy a 2005 and get the IMS changed for a ceramic upgrade or the kit that also supplies the oil line.?!?

Last edited by Steph1; 01-21-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:25 AM
dpwolk99
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2008 997.1 C4S Cabriolet - 45,000 Miles No IMS Problem

2008 997.1 C4S Cabriolet - 45,000 Miles No IMS Problem
Old 01-22-2019, 09:47 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Steph1

I was originally planning on buying a 996, and had called the dealer service manager here in Ottawa Canada to ask about price. He quote the job, and I asked him if it was the same price for a 997. He replied that he had been a service manager at this dealer (Only Porsche dealer in Ottawa) for 12 years, and that IMS was not an issue with 997s 2006 and up.

Not arguing, but I ended-up thinking that 2006-up were not a problem. So, I'm glad I haven't purchased yet and will concentrate my search towards 2009-up.

So I am editing this reply cause I was thinking.... Is it possible that all this time, I was looking for a 997.1 2006-2008 to be on the safe side, and all this time, the smartest move to make is to buy a 2005 and get the IMS changed for a ceramic upgrade or the kit that also supplies the oil line.?!?
Is the ceramic bearing an upgrade? I read many statements claiming this but is it really true? One can say it is an alternative bearing. I believe the supplier recommends replacing the ceramic bearing every 30K miles? There are many folks who report changing out the original bearing for an "upgraded" bearing noting that the original bearing "looks like new" after many ( 30K, 50K, 80K, ?, etc.) miles.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:01 AM
Nifty911
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont know if that has been posted, but this explained everything with IMS.

https://www.oregonpca.org/resources/...he-full-story/

One of my Caymans was a 2008 and I will admit the topic crossed my mind a few times, but I also owned the car until it ran out of warranty. Interesting when I went to a 2012, the salesman used the absence of IMS as a selling point.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:05 AM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Is the ceramic bearing an upgrade? I read many statements claiming this but is it really true? One can say it is an alternative bearing. I believe the supplier recommends replacing the ceramic bearing every 30K miles? There are many folks who report changing out the original bearing for an "upgraded" bearing noting that the original bearing "looks like new" after many ( 30K, 50K, 80K, ?, etc.) miles.
Actually, I was just making an observation and thinking out loud questioning my search for a 911. Best people to answer that question are the gurus on here that will most likely chime in soon. But thanks for asking, I am looking forward to the answer.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:49 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Steph1

The 6% is of course only people who have replied to THIS poll. The real number is likely lower. 2006-2008 IMS failures are exceedingly rare - it does not keep me up at night owning at 2008 997.1. However, the failures that did occur, according to my research, happened on the track where oil starvation issues due to high lateral G forces caused lack of lubrication. So if you are going to be tracking your 997.1 hard, then look into preventive maintenance. Some will indeed say that the smartest buy is a 2005 with the IMS solution. But I don't fear an IMS failure with the updated bearings on the late model 997.1.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:26 AM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I totally think this is a fair question and while I don’t think there is the data to support a 100% yes. I do however think that if those bearings failed you would hear about it, and you don’t. The basic design of the bearing is stronger and the ceramic is also much less prone to wear.

My thought is, every 997 is going to need a clutch and to me this is a super easy preventative if you have an early 2005. If you have a early/mid 2005 production date it is a crap shoot. Post mid-2005 you can remove the seal but you are basically stuck with that bearing unless you want to tear down the engine.

My early 05 has 48k miles so I am just doing the clutch early and doing the IMS at the same time as a preventative
Old 01-23-2019, 03:49 AM
Clubber
Racer

Received 453 Likes on 98 Posts

I believe my 2005 Carrera S Launch Edition (50K km) is a good candidate for this failure

I was thinking of replacing with updated IMS bearing from LN engineering. Is it a good choice or should I be on the boat of " if It didn't happen by now, it won't" ?

Quick Reply: IMS failure for your 997 car, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1, .2, m96, m97, failure mode)