IMS failure for your 997 car, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1, .2, m96, m97, failure mode) - Page 65 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Forum
Reload this Page >

IMS failure for your 997 car, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1, .2, m96, m97, failure mode)

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: did YOUR car suffer an IMS failure
yes, the IMS failed
6.39%
No issues with IMS
93.61%
Voters: 1298. You may not vote on this poll

IMS failure for your 997 car, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1, .2, m96, m97, failure mode)

Old 11-11-2018, 12:31 PM
  #961  
Petza914
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Petza914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 9,142
Default

Originally Posted by Motorainier View Post
There shop said there were no pieces missing from the fins. I do trust them, as they're a long time Porsche shop with a great reputation. I can't check the motor, my car is sitting in the shop while I sort through my options (sell, rebuild, rebuild and modify).
Maybe ask them and they'll provide the info. It would be another good data point for us here.
Petza914 is online now  
Old 11-11-2018, 07:07 PM
  #962  
JustinCase
User
 
JustinCase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 190
Default

t
Originally Posted by Motorainier View Post
There shop said there were no pieces missing from the fins. I do trust them, as they're a long time Porsche shop with a great reputation. I can't check the motor, my car is sitting in the shop while I sort through my options (sell, rebuild, rebuild and modify).
I hope your engine core is okay. It should not cost too much to tear down the engine to the point where they can have a pretty good idea whether it can be rebuilt using your existing engine case.

My M97 failed a little less catastrophically (bore score), and I was able to have Chris' German Auto rebuild it using LN Engineering replacement cylinder liners and various other key replacement parts including the IMS Solution. After analyzing my options, I figured this was the most economical (but not cheap) way out of the woods, especially since I planned to keep my car forever. It's now a 4.0 liter engine with all the usual M96/97 problems resolved and a lot of expensive wear issues (e.g., AOS, starter cable, water pump, clutch) resolved while everything was apart. I think of those things as "prepaid maintenance" which help to partially offset the shock of the rebuild costs, or at least $4,000 to $5,000 of them, so long as I keep the car a long time. I figure the rebuilt engine is actually *better* than new as the original built-in engineering problems have been addressed.

If the core is shot, either check into getting another engine case that can be reworked or consider an RND engine (i.e., essentially rebuilt by the LN Engineering folks).
JustinCase is offline  
Old 11-13-2018, 02:32 AM
  #963  
Motorainier
New User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5
Default

Originally Posted by JustinCase View Post
t

I hope your engine core is okay. It should not cost too much to tear down the engine to the point where they can have a pretty good idea whether it can be rebuilt using your existing engine case.

My M97 failed a little less catastrophically (bore score), and I was able to have Chris' German Auto rebuild it using LN Engineering replacement cylinder liners and various other key replacement parts including the IMS Solution. After analyzing my options, I figured this was the most economical (but not cheap) way out of the woods, especially since I planned to keep my car forever. It's now a 4.0 liter engine with all the usual M96/97 problems resolved and a lot of expensive wear issues (e.g., AOS, starter cable, water pump, clutch) resolved while everything was apart. I think of those things as "prepaid maintenance" which help to partially offset the shock of the rebuild costs, or at least $4,000 to $5,000 of them, so long as I keep the car a long time. I figure the rebuilt engine is actually *better* than new as the original built-in engineering problems have been addressed.

If the core is shot, either check into getting another engine case that can be reworked or consider an RND engine (i.e., essentially rebuilt by the LN Engineering folks).
I hope it is as well. It was the least dramatic motor problem I've ever had, no noise, oil, smoke, it just quit running. Are you happy with the 4.0 build, and has it been reliable? My car is at Chris' now.
Motorainier is offline  
Old 11-13-2018, 08:48 PM
  #964  
JustinCase
User
 
JustinCase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 190
Default

Originally Posted by Motorainier View Post
I hope it is as well. It was the least dramatic motor problem I've ever had, no noise, oil, smoke, it just quit running. Are you happy with the 4.0 build, and has it been reliable? My car is at Chris' now.
Very happy. 4.0l has not been a dramatic difference from the original 3.8l, assuming, of course, you ignore the horrible oil mileage and the risk of other catastrophic engine failure of the original 3.8l. I now have 5,000 miles on it, and I think it is still breaking in a little as both my gas mileage and oil mileage are still improving (both were good already when I first got it back). I may take it in for a dyno after another 5,000 miles to see how it all turned out. It feels like the engine that should have been in the car when the car was new. I was always a "buy and hold" type of guy, which gives me a shot of coming out in the long run. I helps that I already loved my car just like it is. We essentially upgraded everything that has been a known problem or an eventual wear problem.
JustinCase is offline  
Old 12-10-2018, 04:11 AM
  #965  
Appraiser
User
 
Appraiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 126
Default

2007 base C2 (3,6l) with 68,000 miles - in my tenure of 3 years and 18k+ miles I've done 10+ DE's, a racing school weekend, 10+ autox and several road trips. No IMS issue.
Appraiser is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 02:13 PM
  #966  
ca86108
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 13
Default

I am glad this is here so that a new owner can see that only 6% have been affected
ca86108 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 04:00 AM
  #967  
Lblade
User
 
Lblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 9
Default

2005 997 3.8S MKI, 135,000 kms, no problems but the closed bearing will be replaced by an open C3 or C4 one and a little hole and groove will be made on the pomp side to give the bearing oil in all circumstances.
Also welded the two chain gears to the connecting tube and checked the IMS axle for straightness
Lblade is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IMS failure for your 997 car, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1, .2, m96, m97, failure mode)


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: