Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Acoustics

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 03:39 PM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

My 996 was my first P car since my '87 911. I thought the sound was great. When I got the 997.1,
the sound was so much richer that I was sure I had PSE stuck on the open position. I later found out that
I was strictly stock
Old 04-06-2011, 04:07 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sharmat
I actually like to hear the sound of the motor rather than a sound that is predominately exhaust in nature. Although the exhaust sound is sweet at times esp. with burbles on downshifting and stuff.
I'm in it for the motor sound too. My .1 C2S stock exhaust sounds great to me otherwise.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:58 PM
annliat
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seen many threads about pulling the plug in the engine bay to keep PSE on all the time. For the new GTS, there looks like there are two similar looking solenoids with vacuum hoses coming out. One in a similar position as previous posts picture show (fixed to side of intake manifold further in) and the other closer to the rear fixed onto the side plastic snorkel cover. None of them are orange/brown connectors anymore, both are black.

Which one is it to pull?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by annliat
Seen many threads about pulling the plug in the engine bay to keep PSE on all the time. For the new GTS, there looks like there are two similar looking solenoids with vacuum hoses coming out. One in a similar position as previous posts picture show (fixed to side of intake manifold further in) and the other closer to the rear fixed onto the side plastic snorkel cover. None of them are orange/brown connectors anymore, both are black.

Which one is it to pull?
You don't want to pull a vacuum hose. This was discussed in an earlier post with a GTS owner; I can't remember who. I posted the pic below which shows the PSE connection on my '09 Carrera S. I'm almost certain, even on the GTS, this is the plug you need to find and pull. It has a retaining clip on it, so don't just try to yank it off.
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2011, 12:12 AM
annliat
7th Gear

ok, thanx. Will try pulling out the electrical connector for the solenoid furthest in. Just wondering what the 2nd one is for.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:50 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

my experience as follws:

996.2 w/ PSE = very happy driver (me)
997.1 w/ PSE = happy driver, but longing for the angrier version of the 996.2

no experience w/ 997.2
Old 04-21-2011, 02:03 PM
jimand7
Instructor

How hard is it to add PSE? Is it best to buy aftermarket or from dealer?
Old 04-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by jimand7
How hard is it to add PSE? Is it best to buy aftermarket or from dealer?
It can be done fairly easily. This has been widely discussed so a quick search should give you more details. Suncoast Porsche has good prices but your local dealer may be willing to match them. Expect to pay in the vicinity of $3500 for the parts and installation. This is a potential DIY project but be aware it involves taking apart sections of the interior and dash to install wiring and the control switch so you'll want to factor that into your decision on whether to tackle the job yourself.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:15 AM
annliat
7th Gear

Default PSE - pulling connectors

ok, have pulled the connector (you can see the brown tape) on my GTS. It definitely by-passes the switch on my console as pressing it does nothing now.

Name:  IMG_0324.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  135.2 KB

However, this is a picture of the 2nd Solenoid which has a similar connector and vacuum hoses. I confirm that those vacuum hoses also affect the PSE. If I leave the first Connector in place and pull the 2nd Solenoid's vacuum hose, it also affects the sound. Hence, they must both be connected to the PSE.

Name:  IMG_0326.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  94.8 KB

I did try to pull the 2nd connector as well. Am not very sure but I thought that the PSE sounded slightly louder at low speeds.

Anyone know what this second Solenoid is meant to do?
Old 04-22-2011, 01:46 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
Don't like the engine/exhaust noise? That's why the GT3 was invented!! Well, one of the reasons...
+1
Old 04-22-2011, 02:32 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

ok, have pulled the connector (you can see the brown tape) on my GTS. It definitely by-passes the switch on my console as pressing it does nothing now.

Attachment 530577

However, this is a picture of the 2nd Solenoid which has a similar connector and vacuum hoses. I confirm that those vacuum hoses also affect the PSE. If I leave the first Connector in place and pull the 2nd Solenoid's vacuum hose, it also affects the sound. Hence, they must both be connected to the PSE.

Attachment 530578

I did try to pull the 2nd connector as well. Am not very sure but I thought that the PSE sounded slightly louder at low speeds.

Anyone know what this second Solenoid is meant to do?
Interesting. The plug you show in your first photo appears to be the same one I pointed to in my picture above. When I pull that plug, not only does the switch not function any more, but the exhaust goes into "loud mode" (just like when everything is hooked up and the PSE switch is activated) and stays there. I've never tried pulling the other plug and don't know what it's for.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:57 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The hardest part to adding PSE to a car is adding the wiring up to the console that will give you the control to turn it on and off from the seat. However, that's one of the great features of PSE.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:44 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Ignore - oops, just realized I already posted in this thread!

Last edited by jcnesq; 04-22-2011 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Old Age Memory Lapse
Old 04-22-2011, 10:14 AM
annliat
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Interesting. The plug you show in your first photo appears to be the same one I pointed to in my picture above. When I pull that plug, not only does the switch not function any more, but the exhaust goes into "loud mode" (just like when everything is hooked up and the PSE switch is activated) and stays there. I've never tried pulling the other plug and don't know what it's for.
Yes, the PSE does go into loud mode once I pull the first connector. Just curious about the second connector. Wasn't sure I should yank that as well since there aren't any threads talking about it.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Yes, the PSE does go into loud mode once I pull the first connector. Just curious about the second connector. Wasn't sure I should yank that as well since there aren't any threads talking about it.
Since pulling the first plug has the desired result (PSE on all the time) I never felt the need to experiment further or disconnect anything else. If you figure out what the second plug does let us know.

Quick Reply: Porsche Acoustics