Sponsored by:

Ball park cost to lower?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 05:00 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ball park cost to lower?

The last car I had done was my '96 C4S and I got the ROW M030 kit from Porsche to have it done, along with an alignment and corner balance (?), and I seem to remember about $2500, complete, done at Bob Hindson in KC. I know there are a bunch of ways to go with suspension changes, but I'm wondering about a similar set up to that ROW I had. Anyone have estimates of what it runs today, or are the options just too broad to throw a single figure out? Thanks.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:08 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

A: Coilovers

2000-3000 (depending on brand)
300 Labor*
100 Alignment*

=2400-3400 total

B: Springs

300-400 (depending on brand)
300 Labor*
100 Alignment*

=700-800 Total

also then figure labor to uninstall and align when you sell/change mind.

the Δ between the two personally sways me to coilovers (if you dont have PASM) as they are adjustable to make them exactly how you want.. and the cost of labor/align is the same as springs and you can always overhaul them and sell when done..

i voted coilovers on both my 997's. (KWv3)

for PASM equipped cars, you need damptronics to utilize the PASM, otherwise get a light or have to go to dealer for additional cost to turn off the PASM using PWIS.

with springs your PASM will still work fine, but shocks could blow with extended use on springs (more load on shocks at all times).

-Riley

*Labor rates will vary wherever you are.... (where in florida are you located? i could recommend a place in Tampa)
*Install i have seen as cheap as $250, and as much as $1000
*Alignment i have seen as cheap as 80$ and as much as $300
Old 04-03-2011, 06:13 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Prices:

Coilovers:
KWv3 ($2500 on TireRack)
H&R ($1850 on TireRack)
Bilstein PSS9 ($3100 w/ PASM, $2800 w/o PASM on TireRack)

Springs:
H&R $315 (TireRack)
Eibach $323 (TireRack)

i had KWv3 on both my 997.1 and 997.2 (had problems both sets with the rear shocks, both taken care of promptly by KW but honestly i always wanted to try the H&R kit because it gets good street reviews but bad track reviews)
Old 04-03-2011, 07:18 PM
McCulla
Pro

Thank you kindly for the detailed information! I don't have PASM and realized after I posted originally that I left out any stats about the way I use my car. It is my daily driver, no track, and I don't really care about ride. I'm looking primarily for improved appearance (in my eyes) with relatively equivalent wear/tear on suspension components and tires. I'm in Gainesville, but would sure appreciate your Tampa recommendation. Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:35 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by McCulla
Thank you kindly for the detailed information! I don't have PASM and realized after I posted originally that I left out any stats about the way I use my car. It is my daily driver, no track, and I don't really care about ride. I'm looking primarily for improved appearance (in my eyes) with relatively equivalent wear/tear on suspension components and tires. I'm in Gainesville, but would sure appreciate your Tampa recommendation. Thanks again.
considering it's a Porsche i would say handling is important but maybe your willing to sacrifice ride quality..

i personally would suggest the H&R @ 1850 for a street coilover, the people that complain track the coil and those that like it are daily drivers.. it is said to be forgiving yet quality... my shop local always does the install for the rates i listed.. which is very affordable compared to the dealer/etc.

the KW were more track oriented IMO.

springs are cheaper alternative, BUT the OEM shocks could blow and then cost becomes the same...
Old 04-03-2011, 07:44 PM
McCulla
Pro

Yeah, I guess I sort of made the assumption that these set ups would probably be a handling gain, and didn't mean to neglect that aspect as one of my aims with lowering. By the way, would you mind sharing the name of your Tampa shop? Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:08 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by McCulla
Yeah, I guess I sort of made the assumption that these set ups would probably be a handling gain, and didn't mean to neglect that aspect as one of my aims with lowering. By the way, would you mind sharing the name of your Tampa shop? Thanks again.
i go to Vortex motorsports, they are by the airport... they changed owners recently but the tech's are still the same.. Sara is most likely who you would talk to when you call. can tell her i sent you..

i am taking my exige there next week to change the pulley on my supercharger and get an oil change and some other misc.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:36 PM
McCulla
Pro

Great! I recall a recent thread, I believe, where you mentioned this shop. I can find it easily. Thanks for the info and letting me use you as a referral. Patrick
Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that lowering a 997 for appearance only is misguided, but it is your car. Be forwarned that there are several issues that you need to consider:
-Whether coilovers or shorter & stiffer springs, the ride will be significantly harder.
-The car has ground clearance problems in stock condition. Lowered is worse. Be prepared for the air dam and brake ducts striking pavement in situations you can't avoid.
-The suspension has limited adjustment. Negative camber in the rear is likely, with appearance issues and increased tire wear.
The saving grace is that this modification is reversible.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:44 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelL
I think that lowering a 997 for appearance only is misguided, but it is your car. Be forwarned that there are several issues that you need to consider:
-Whether coilovers or shorter & stiffer springs, the ride will be significantly harder.
-The car has ground clearance problems in stock condition. Lowered is worse. Be prepared for the air dam and brake ducts striking pavement in situations you can't avoid.
-The suspension has limited adjustment. Negative camber in the rear is likely, with appearance issues and increased tire wear.
The saving grace is that this modification is reversible.
This is what makes a market. One guy can't stand the US Suv like stance of the 997 and lowers it. The next guy reasons like you and pays someone to "fix it". Me, I think the tall stance on the US cars from the factory is unbecoming. Looking at 997's in Europe, the way we get the cars here is not how it was designed. My old -06 C4S was lowered with H&R springs only. It looked great, the ride was no different than stock and with 42,000 miles on it I had zero issues with the configuration. Certainly not anything remotely resembling what you describe above. Some unusually steep driveways had to be negotiated at an angle but that's about it.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 AM
McCulla
Pro

Michael, as I'd mentioned, I've owned and driven (6 years) a lowered 993 so I'm aware of the issues you've raised. If that places me in your "misguided" category, so be it. Personally, I am a fan of the lower appearance and if handling is improved, so much the better.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:14 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Just to ask a clarification question.
On a PASM equipped car, lowered springs will possibly damage the shocks?
Thanks
Old 04-04-2011, 03:13 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by limey940
Just to ask a clarification question.
On a PASM equipped car, lowered springs will possibly damage the shocks?
Thanks
My car was PASM equipped. No issues after 42,000 miles on H&R springs.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:53 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sandwedge
My car was PASM equipped. No issues after 42,000 miles on H&R springs.
Thank you.
Can you recall how much labor was to do this, curious about doing this but wondering what it would take to reverse if i ran into issues?

cheers
Old 04-04-2011, 10:04 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by limey940
Thank you.
Can you recall how much labor was to do this, curious about doing this but wondering what it would take to reverse if i ran into issues?

cheers
I think I paid around $450 which sounds about right since it's supposed to be roughly an hour for each wheel.

Quick Reply: Ball park cost to lower?