Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone done led upgrade from RotTec?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:01 PM
pabafree95
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone done led upgrade from RotTec?

http://bd-motor.com/page.php?action=view&id=58

If you have, please share your experience re: ease of install.
thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 10:17 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by pabafree95
http://bd-motor.com/page.php?action=view&id=58

If you have, please share your experience re: ease of install.
thanks
It's been discussed ad nauseum on 6speed.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

I did go with RotTec for their LED update for the 997.1 cars. I liked the idea. The installation is not that straightforward. I think it would go better if they labeled their leads. One area that is still problematic is that they have not solved the problem of the rear fog light. (I happen to like and periodically need that lamp). Their design did not take into account putting an LED lamp in the rear fog light position. If you put a clear bulb (the OEM one) into the slot set aside for it the thing lights up white and stays on all the time. NOT a good solution. The temporary solution for now is to remove the bulb, and disconnect the battery to clear the code (of a problematic rear fog light). They told me that they are working on a solution. It may be something like a red LED cluster. The factory solution on 997.2 cars is to run a double set of red LEDS up the vertical line (closest to the center of the car).
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2011, 10:46 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I did go with RotTec for their LED update for the 997.1 cars. I liked the idea. The installation is not that straightforward. I think it would go better if they labeled their leads. One area that is still problematic is that they have solved the problem of the rear fog light. (I happen to like and periodically need that lamp). Their design did not take into account putting an LED lamp in the rear fog light position. If you put a clear bulb (the OEM one) into the slot set aside for it the thing lights up white and stays on all the time. NOT a good solution. The temporary solution for now is to remove the bulb, and disconnect the battery to clear the code (of a problematic rear fog light). They told me that they are working on a solution. It may be something like a red LED cluster.
I agree the install instructions were lacking but after I discovered that each socket was labeled in the back of plastic housing it was very easy to install. I chose to leave the bulb out of the fog light socket but am waiting for the "red bulb" solution, Vendor is sending an incandescent red glass bulb with one of the contacts disabled. Once installed, the red bulb will only illuminate when the rear fog light switch is engaged. I think the lights look great.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Glad to hear they are working on the solution. I, too, believe, that the LEDs look terrific.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:49 PM
pabafree95
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I did go with RotTec for their LED update for the 997.1 cars. I liked the idea. The installation is not that straightforward. I think it would go better if they labeled their leads. One area that is still problematic is that they have not solved the problem of the rear fog light. (I happen to like and periodically need that lamp). Their design did not take into account putting an LED lamp in the rear fog light position. If you put a clear bulb (the OEM one) into the slot set aside for it the thing lights up white and stays on all the time. NOT a good solution. The temporary solution for now is to remove the bulb, and disconnect the battery to clear the code (of a problematic rear fog light). They told me that they are working on a solution. It may be something like a red LED cluster. The factory solution on 997.2 cars is to run a double set of red LEDS up the vertical line (closest to the center of the car).
Dan that is sweet. Fresh look. Did you/ru going to do the front bumper led strip?
Would you mind giving ballpark cost of the rear leds? thanks and nice work.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:26 PM
pabafree95
Advanced

Is there a market then for your OEM tail lights? or just keep around for futre if needed?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Dan that is sweet. Fresh look. Did you/ru going to do the front bumper led strip?
Would you mind giving ballpark cost of the rear leds? thanks and nice work.
The rears were $750 with shipping. Not too bad, considering.

I'm waiting to see what they do for the front end. Also, I need to 'upgrade' my license plate lights in the rear with something non-incansescent now.

Is there a market then for your OEM tail lights? or just keep around for futre if needed?

I'll just keep them in the shipping box and hold on to them. I suppose there could be a market.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:31 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

As they are a Vancouver company, I am gonna go check it out in person. The other day I saw it in person and it looked sharp. By far the best LED solution I've ever come across... even better than Techart.

@ Dan, how's the lens/plastic quality? Decent? Does it stand up well to weather elements (although I know it's very new).
Old 02-24-2011, 08:38 AM
pabafree95
Advanced

alexb76 -

would be great if you would also give your impressions after you check out the operation. i emailed the company, and it was some one in saudi arabia - suppose they have vancouver outlet/plant....

dan -

for $750 that's a great price point. now, if a light bulb goes out, its not like xmas tree lights (back in the day anyway) where the whole string would shut down is it?
also, do LEDs generally last longer and more efficient? If you need to change a sinlge led what do you do.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:03 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

alexb76 -

would be great if you would also give your impressions after you check out the operation. i emailed the company, and it was some one in saudi arabia - suppose they have vancouver outlet/plant....

dan -

for $750 that's a great price point. now, if a light bulb goes out, its not like xmas tree lights (back in the day anyway) where the whole string would shut down is it?
also, do LEDs generally last longer and more efficient? If you need to change a sinlge led what do you do.
There is no "operation" to check out - they are just distributors of the LED's sourced from Taiwan. Plastic and finish look good although one or two have reported condensation in the lens - don't know if that's a sealing problem or not. It is sealed so I'm not sure how you would change out 1 LED. $750 was the initial GB price, closer to $900 retail without GB.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
As they are a Vancouver company, I am gonna go check it out in person. The other day I saw it in person and it looked sharp. By far the best LED solution I've ever come across... even better than Techart.

@ Dan, how's the lens/plastic quality? Decent? Does it stand up well to weather elements (although I know it's very new).
The plastic quality is equal to the ORM lenses. However, after a washing the other day I did run into some moisture condensation inside the right lens in the area of the clear or white lamp region. Dried up on itself but not too happy with that situation.

Also, I noticed on both rear fog light sockets they are not that tight when you put them back on. The bayonets are not that secure.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

May not be related but I do get condensation in white area of both OEM tail lights if I wash with cool tap water after a few humid days. Happened a couple of times. Plan to report it next service so it is on record for the future. It also dries by itself in a day or so.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Thanks for that. Interesting. I have not had that problem ever with the OEMs. Perhaps the seal rings are not on tight enough to avoid that intrusion. (At the base of each lamp plug).
Old 03-06-2011, 09:01 PM
johnstoy
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the picture with the two different tail-lights Dan. I saw the thread for these 997.1 retro-fit LED tail lights and was thinking "when is everyone going to get over the LED light craze?". There are a LOT of Audi's in my neighbourhood so maybe I am a bit jaded - but they really do look good on your car. The driver's side in that picture looks old compared to the passenger LED side.
It looks good enough that I might have to re-think my opinion on LED's...

John

Quick Reply: has anyone done led upgrade from RotTec?