Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone done led upgrade from RotTec?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I didn't go to the effort to secure things. I suppose I should have, but I didn't have any issues with it before.

What I do like now is that that black socket/plug fits a lot more securely than it did before. As you know, they are bayonet fittings, but when that black plug is in the fog light receiver it simply didn't twist enough to lock on. Now it does.

In the future, RotTec needs to solve these issues with good photos and perhaps better labeling on their kits. I think we wound up as their prototype guys proof-fitting things.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:52 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I didn't have any issue with it before either, but there was a clip that attached the wiring to the rear of the light assembly. That clip is not on the new light assembly so I think the wires end up being lose in there.

I agree, better labeling and instructions are key. There have got to be several users that are still hooked up incorrectly and receiving error messages on their dash.

I'm looking forward to a front DRL setup from them.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:24 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE

Even though I still had everything hooked up correctly, my rear fog was still on (on both sides) even without me turning it on. That's when I decided to switch the tape from one contact on the red bulb to the other and then the rear fog was off normally but could be turned on.

This is the picture that is wrong (at least for me):
As I had to source the Red bulb from Europe and I asked Ray which terminal to tape so I would avoid trial and error, he sent me the above pic and indicated that you tape the connector which is adjacent to the higher of the two little pimples on the side of the lamp (how do you like my technical lingo??!!)... That is the one showing on the top of the attached pic. The one on the other side is lower.

Also, I did not tape up the wires, but as far as I can tell I have no rattle. Perhaps one of these days I will, just to be sure.

I have a comment on the condensation. Note that in the back of the cluster there are some small flexible tubes, which allow the light to breath. These are facing down, and thus after a power wash, if water builds up on the area where the lights sits in, it is likely after a spirited run for the water to evaporate and go into these little tubes. I believe if people that have issues turn them facing the side, rather than the floor, it could improve the situation...

Good luck everyone!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:49 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I agree the first photo was wrong but after looking at the diagram of the bulb placement in the OEM lights (in the owner's manual) and then comparing that to the back of the new fixture I was able to figure it out...but only after putting my glasses on - each of the sockets on the new light is labeled in the plastic backing...but as i said, I needed glasses to see it clearly. These lights look great!!
Old 04-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the venting tip. If I continue to have an issue I will try a new position for them, and try again. Although they would add to cost of the unit, Gore makes some very nice one way membrane vents which I used to use on electronic gear. I recognize that with the LEDs in there things can get a little hot, and a suitable provision for venting is needed.

Last edited by Edgy01; 10-12-2011 at 03:41 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:23 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Thanks for the venting tip. If I continue to have an issue I will try a new position for them, and try again. Although they would add to cost of the unit, Gore makes some very nice one way membrane vents which I used to use on electronic gear. I recognize that with the LEDs in there things can get a little hot, and a suitable provision for venting is needed.

So Dan, overall you're happy with the final solution?
Old 04-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Once I finally got the proper instructions, I am pleased with the outcome. The unit seems to fit well within the space of the older unit. When all is said and done, it is remarkable that Porsche didn't simply come up with this solution, but had to have a solution that entailed replacing the rear bumper cover. That's Detroit thinking at its finest. There was no obvious reason when the footprint could remain the same--other than marketing. The minimal marketing posture of Porsche decades ago was what brought me to Porsche. You could go years without any physical change to the external appearance of a Porsche. And then they discovered marketing, and facelifts, and the rest of the crap.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:13 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Once I finally got the proper instructions, I am pleased with the outcome. The unit seems to fit well within the space of the older unit. When all is said and done, it is remarkable that Porsche didn't simply come up with this solution, but had to have a solution that entailed replacing the rear bumper cover. That's Detroit thinking at its finest. There was no obvious reason when the footprint could remain the same--other than marketing. The minimal marketing posture of Porsche decades ago was what brought me to Porsche. You could go years without any physical change to the external appearance of a Porsche. And then they discovered marketing, and facelifts, and the rest of the crap.
Ofcourse, they intentionally changed the shape so 997.1 owners can't just replace their units with new OEM ones... it's the same for the front LED daytime running lights...
Old 04-01-2011, 10:03 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't even see these listed on the RotTec site.... where are you getting them from?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:37 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
I don't even see these listed on the RotTec site.... where are you getting them from?
Contact Ray at RotTec - he's in Vancouver. Or go to 6speed and search for the more than 450 posts on these lights - lots of pictures.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

For some reason the lights are not on their internet site. But contact Ray at their contact email address and he can work with you.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:31 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for reference for others that may come across this thread, there is another alternative ( Dectane ) that IMHO is a better route and cheaper (cost me ~$610.00 USD to my door).

Here is link from 6speed where this topic has spread like a brush fire and the 6speed guys (including myself) cleaned out suppliers inventory in a week!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...s-dectane.html

Now one of the supplier is talking with manufacture to see if they can come up with cost effective DRL LED solution as they did to taillights.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Musclehedz101
Just for reference for others that may come across this thread, there is another alternative ( Dectane ) that IMHO is a better route and cheaper (cost me ~$610.00 USD to my door).

Here is link from 6speed where this topic has spread like a brush fire and the 6speed guys (including myself) cleaned out suppliers inventory in a week!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...s-dectane.html

Now one of the supplier is talking with manufacture to see if they can come up with cost effective DRL LED solution as they did to taillights.
+1, no bulbs to replace, no condensation, no problems with CEL, easy plug and play installation, 15 minute job, all this for $300 cheaper. Can't beat it, love the way it looks when you light them up.

Before:

After:

Old 06-25-2011, 06:09 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 188 Posts

Agreed with the above 2 posters. Quality is @ OEM level and brightness is the same as 997.2 OEM Lights, at a price that is significantly cheaper than what has been offered thus far. A true plug and play as Ynot mentioned.

Quick Reply: has anyone done led upgrade from RotTec?