Sponsored by:

Sports Trend Auto/first porsche purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:06 PM
sjb911
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sports Trend Auto/first porsche purchase

I've been looking for a 997 c4s and found one in California. I am from the midwest and recently went out to see the car and drive it. It seemed to be in great condition for having 50,000 miles on it. I have never owned a porsche but have always admired them and have had friends that love them. What issues have there been with the 997's with that many miles? If I proceed I definitely want to have a PPI completed. Has anyone heard of Sports Trend auto? The sales associate I talked with said they get most of their cars from trade ins and off leases from surrounding Porsche dealers. I read one review online that someone claimed they fix up wrecked porsches. The carfax on this car is clean but still a little weary. I would appreciate any advice out there.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:16 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

50k miles is really not that much for a Porsche.
Mine has 50k miles and is still super tight and worry free.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

It's a used car lot...caveat emptor.

Also, the Yelp reviews have a ton of 5 stars that are filtered because they are the only review the person wrote and coincidentally a bunch of the filtered have similar dates = fishy.

First get the DME scan. If it's bad walk. Then pay for a PPI and a paint test. If your really, really paranoid get a compression/leakdown and boroscope.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:26 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

sjb911:

I know STA and have looked at several cars there over the years. They tend to get "average" cars, not the creme of the crop as the Porsche dealers tend to keep those or buy them at auction. They usually sell at median or below market value so if you're looking at a bargain, it might be for a reason. If you do go down the road towards a serious purchase from them, make sure you have a local dealer do the PPI and NOT Speed Gallery as they are / were affiliated. Do your due diligence and approach with caution. Lots of great cars out there and unfortunately if you want a great car, you're going to have to pay a small premium for it. Best of luck.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,
I'm new here. Looking for my 1st Porsche and found a 997 that looks pretty good at Sports Trend. I check BBB and Ebay feedback and they look clean. Anyone have a recent experience with them and where can I get a PPI done? Thanks for the tips, very excited to finally be getting a Porsche as I just move to SoCal and could never justify it in Chicago.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Same opinion still from above on STA. highly recommend Werks II in Burbank for a PPI. Galen has taken excellent care of my and others cars and is VERY thorough.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:10 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Same feedback on STD. When I was looking for mine my dealer from Auto Gallery called to tell me they had a car coming in that they wanted me to see...A few days later he called me back and said the car was thrashed and not something they would sell.

A couple of days later the car showed up at STD.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:11 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

STD. LOL. Freudian slip?

Quick Reply: Sports Trend Auto/first porsche purchase