2010 997 Rotor Corrosion Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Jam68
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 997 Rotor Corrosion Issue

Hello,

I bought a 2010 Targa 4 with about 13800 miles on it about 2 months ago (I now have about 15500 miles). The car still has more than a year and lots of miles of warranty left. I noticed a slight "rubbing" noise when it was cool and wanted to have it checked out. Turns our our local Porsche dealership was having a PCA drive in and was doing a vehicle check-outs. The tech took a close look and said that the rear rotors on the inside only have corrosion on them that is causing the noise. He suggested that the brakes were not heated up to keep them clean and said get the brakes good and hot and it will clean them off.

I heated them up the best I could with some from speed stops on a clear exit ramp. When I was back at the dealer he said that there was a bit clear (the outer 1") but the inner part was not clear yet. I asked why the calipers would not load the pads onto the rotors uniformly? He said the calipers often are not balanced inside to out and radially. He said they could replace the rotors at my cost but this was normal due to the corrosion.

Would you anticipate that on a car with low mileage and 70% tread on the original tires would develop a problem like this? Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Joe.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Jam68
Hello,

I bought a 2010 Targa 4 with about 13800 miles on it about 2 months ago (I now have about 15500 miles). The car still has more than a year and lots of miles of warranty left. I noticed a slight "rubbing" noise when it was cool and wanted to have it checked out. Turns our our local Porsche dealership was having a PCA drive in and was doing a vehicle check-outs. The tech took a close look and said that the rear rotors on the inside only have corrosion on them that is causing the noise. He suggested that the brakes were not heated up to keep them clean and said get the brakes good and hot and it will clean them off.

I heated them up the best I could with some from speed stops on a clear exit ramp. When I was back at the dealer he said that there was a bit clear (the outer 1") but the inner part was not clear yet. I asked why the calipers would not load the pads onto the rotors uniformly? He said the calipers often are not balanced inside to out and radially. He said they could replace the rotors at my cost but this was normal due to the corrosion.

Would you anticipate that on a car with low mileage and 70% tread on the original tires would develop a problem like this? Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Joe.
Rotor corrosion is a real problem in some areas. It is quite common in the UK. In fact it was on some UK Porsche forums that I first came across Porsche rotor corrosion issues (and coil issues too).

The car sits in a damp/humid environment. It does not get driven much and when it does the brakes believe it or not do not get used that hard.

Corrosion starts and gets worse. It may be helped by some flaw in the rotor casting metal. In some cases the corrosion is so bad the rotor metal delaminates which suggest the casting metal is not homogeneous and the corrosion follows this non homogeneous metal like mold through blue cheese.

In this case the part is defective but it is hard to get these replaced on that basis.

You might try a more aggressive brake bedding in process. Take the car out and get it going up to highway speed. Apply the brakes hard but just short of triggering ABS intervention. Slow the car down but do *not* bring the car to a stop. Speed the car up to speed again and repeat. Do this a 3rd time.

The above advice assumes the brakes are in otherwise good condition and the dealer didn't tell you they should be replaced due to safety concerns.

Quick Reply: 2010 997 Rotor Corrosion Issue