Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A2DP and PCM 3.0 (bluetooth streaming)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 01:09 AM
ELMEL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bring up this issue every time I get a service survey. Here's what I say every time:

PCM3.0 is wonderful, but could benefit from two improvements: (1) It's great that the PCM phonebook can sync with my iPhone via Bluetooth, but it's an oversight that the Nav system can't see those same vCards. In this day and age, it's crazy that I have to manually enter my Nav address book. (2) New Panameras and Cayennes are A2DP-capable, meaning that you can stream audio from an A2DP-capable device to the PCM's AUX-BT. My Boxster is not A2DP-capable. I can use my iPhone with the supplied cable, but I can't stream wirelessly. This is not a big deal, but since the other cars can do it, perhaps an update to the Boxster's PCM would do the trick?
I never hear anything back.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The development cycle on a Kia is much shorter than that of a Porsche, so Kia an integrate the latest technology into thier systems much later in the production pipeline, I suspect.

That said, the bluetooth streaming is just a software profile... something that COULD be fixed with a firmware update to the PCM I would expect, unless all of those bluetooth profiles are embedded in a ROM in the PCM that isn't part of the firmware (which may well be the case, and would be the kind of silly thing Porsche would do)
Old 10-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Ragilpin
6th Gear

I tried the RIM adapter and it worked OK, but I end up with the Tune2air WMA1000 A2DP bluetooth adapter and it works great with my iPhone 5, and the PCM sees it as an attached iPod so the PCM controls work and I get the music info on the screen.
Attached Images  
Old 10-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ragilpin
I tried the RIM adapter and it worked OK, but I end up with the Tune2air WMA1000 A2DP bluetooth adapter and it works great with my iPhone 5, and the PCM sees it as an attached iPod so the PCM controls work and I get the music info on the screen.
Cool option, but jeezus, could you post a larger picture? ;-)
Old 10-08-2013, 06:40 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it pull current when it is plugged in? Should it be disconnected when the car is stored for a while?
Old 10-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Ragilpin
6th Gear

I don't know for sure the technical specs on the power draw, but here are my observations so far.

When first connecting the WMA to the 30 pin Y able it starts flashing and goes into pairing mode. You can pair the device with your phone without having to turn the PCM on, so it looks like the USB port on the Y cable always provides power even when the car is turned off. As long as the phone is in range (about 25 feet I've found) the WMA will stay connected and paired even without the key in the ignition. Once the phone is out of range or Bluetooth is turned off on the phone the WMA starts flashing its pairing mode and after 5 minutes of not seeing a device it shuts down. When the WMA is in shutdown mode it does not try to reconnect until I opened one of the doors and then it starts pairing mode and connects, which is interesting as there must be some kind of power surge to the Y cable when the door is opened to wake the WMA up. When the WMA turns on it pairs within seconds, but takes the PCM about 20 seconds to recognize the connection as an iPod.

I really enjoy having this feature because I don't care for the local radio stations so I stream Pandora and other internet stations most of the time I'm in the car. The only thing I wish were different is when I turn the car off and back on again the PCM goes back to the radio instead of staying on the aux iPod connection. My other car remembers the last connection was the aux iPod connection until I change it myself.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Ragilpin
6th Gear

btw: Sorry about the BIG picture, I'm new to this forum and didn't realize it was going to post that large!
Old 10-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Minok
Drifting

I don't know for sure the technical specs on the power draw, but here are my observations so far.

When first connecting the WMA to the 30 pin Y able it starts flashing and goes into pairing mode. You can pair the device with your phone without having to turn the PCM on, so it looks like the USB port on the Y cable always provides power even when the car is turned off. As long as the phone is in range (about 25 feet I've found) the WMA will stay connected and paired even without the key in the ignition.
So the WMA is powered, so long as the CAR provides power on the USB port - and the car does that, regardless of key ignition settings, but based on its own shut-down timing. So after closing the door and leaving.. at some point, the USB port of the Universal Audio Interface module in the car will get powered down. (when that happens isn't clear at the moment.. surely when the car powers down to low-power (may minutes later) or sleep (days later) )

The one additional hickup I see is it stays paired with the phone while it has power. So you go in the house and your phone is still paired with the car in the garage. That causes problems with pairing in house bluetooth speaker systems with the phone at that point. Has the bluetooth standard figured this stuff out yet - so that the user can say "Pair to the closest/strongest signal". For example, when my phone is on my nightstand, it is in bluetooth range of BOTH the speaker system in my shower, AND the car. I want it to pair with the car when I'm IN the car, not when the phone is in the bedroom.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:36 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want it to pair with the car when I'm IN the car, not when the phone is in the bedroom.
But if you could get the car in the bedroom? In all seriousness. I hope the car will shut the bluetooth signal down after x minutes of inactivity with the pcm and not with the pairing of devices. I do plan on putting this on my christmas wish list. I would just buy one but my wife criticizes me for not having anything to buy around the holidays. So I guess I will just have to wait and keep plugging it in.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
I hope the car will shut the bluetooth signal down after x minutes of inactivity with the pcm and not with the pairing of devices.
Well I'm not sure about that. I'd say after x minutes of the power being shut off to the PCM. If the PCM is playing via this device, and I'm no a long road trip, I don't want the device to just shut off because I didn't issue a PCM related request to it..

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
I do plan on putting this on my christmas wish list. I would just buy one but my wife criticizes me for not having anything to buy around the holidays. So I guess I will just have to wait and keep plugging it in.
Yep, thats the band of significant others to gadget tech folks. We are VERY particular about what we want, and then we get it ourselves as soon as we find it. Been there, Got that tshirt.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:43 PM
Ragilpin
6th Gear

+1 on gadgets from significant others for tech folks. When I see something I want I typically buy it because and my wife has come to find that if I really wanted it, I would have bought it! it works out OK because she is the same way regarding the things she want's, but it sure does make Birthdays and Xmas shopping tough for each other.

As to the concern of the WMA shutting off during a long road trip, no worries there, it doesn't do that. I have taken several multi hour road trips and it stays connected. I also want to correct one of my previous post regarding disappointment the PCM switched back to radio when the car is turned off and on. I've tested it several more times and it does remember the last source selected, so every time I get in the car the audio starts streaming from my iPhone. The more I use this device the more I love having this solution. It's virtually transparent the WMA is providing the audio steaming over Bluetooth versus the PCM. When calls come in the audio is interrupted but returned after the call ends as well as navigation voice instructions. Just to be clear on the connections, both the PCM and the WMA show connected in Bluetooth, so phone calls go through the PCM and audio through the WMA, but like I said, it's transparent.

Definitely an Xmas, birthday, or any other special occasion gadget to put on the list!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Minok
Drifting

Yep, sounds like a winner. Only concern I have is the drain on the phone battery streaming audio... how much does the streaming demand use up on the daily battery charge on the phone?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Ragilpin
6th Gear

I stream music while I'm at work during the day and the battery doesn't seem to take a big hit, but while I'm in the car I typically plug it in to the charger anyway. Battery life would also vary depending on what location services and apps you have running, which is why I charge it in the car. You never seem to have enough battery!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

This sound like a nice to have add on. I have ordered a tune to air for my 12 C2S. If I can get my car back from the dealer's garage where it has spent 8 percent of it's life with me, I will give it a try and report.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Minok
Drifting

I stream music while I'm at work during the day and the battery doesn't seem to take a big hit, but while I'm in the car I typically plug it in to the charger anyway. Battery life would also vary depending on what location services and apps you have running, which is why I charge it in the car. You never seem to have enough battery!
Too true.

From my perspective, if I've got to plug it in to start with, then plug it into the UAI iPod/usb cable. Wireless streaming is only attractive if I can keep the phone in my pants pocket and not have to remove it to plug it in. For those that charge it and mount it in a phone holder, this solution does make more sense.

Quick Reply: A2DP and PCM 3.0 (bluetooth streaming)