Sponsored by:

A2DP and PCM 3.0 (bluetooth streaming)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 08:08 AM
Profinity
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux Bluetooth

I have a 2012 911 (991). The auxiliary Bluetooth function works without issue with my iPhone 6. I also have a 2013 991 and the auxiliary Bluetooth does not function. This makes no sense.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:15 AM
ELMEL
Instructor

I just made a discovery and thought I'd share it with you guys...

My wife still has her 987 Boxster S which does NOT have A2DP. She told me that she's been using Waze wirelessly over the car's speakers. I didn't believe her at first, but sure enough, Waze has a new in-app feature that allows voice navigation via standard HFP. It's nice because even if your car has A2DP, you'd be stuck listening to Navigation the whole time you're driving, with no music. The new feature will allow you to listen to whatever you like on the PCM and the Waze app will interrupt whatever might be playing on the PCM, like a phone call. The feature is disabled by default. It can be enabled within the Waze app settings.

https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6291187

Poking around a bit further, I found that Apple has been doing this for quite some time in their Maps app, but they never promoted it. Scroll down to the bottom of this article to learn how to enable it:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/03...-improvements/

Google has implemented the feature in their Maps app too. Go to Settings / Navigation Settings and enable "Play voice over Bluetooth" as well as "Play as Bluetooth phone call."

Note, all of the above is helpful even if you have A2DP. I have A2DP in my Panny, but I set up Waze, Apple Maps, and Google Maps for this new feature. I use iOS navigation a lot and I'm glad I'll now be able to hear directions over PCM while music is playing. This is super cool for us folks who don't have CarPlay.

If anyone has any other interesting info on this, please share.

Last edited by ELMEL; 04-14-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:47 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Excellent find!

Its a bit of a pain that for iOS, that setting is IN the app, and only on a 'per route' basis (I assume) because you have to be IN the maps app, have STARTED a route to a destination, and BE BLUETOOTH CONNECTED to the audio system. Only then will you even see the option. So I'll have to remember next time I'm in the car to set that... though I typically use the Porsche PCM navigation due to its cluster display indications.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:38 AM
timmhaines
Instructor

Default 997 bluetooth

With PCM in 997,a tooki with aux along with blue stream works, navtv.com
Full phone use and streaming.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:20 AM
ELMEL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Minok
Excellent find!

Its a bit of a pain that for iOS, that setting is IN the app, and only on a 'per route' basis (I assume) because you have to be IN the maps app, have STARTED a route to a destination, and BE BLUETOOTH CONNECTED to the audio system. Only then will you even see the option. So I'll have to remember next time I'm in the car to set that... though I typically use the Porsche PCM navigation due to its cluster display indications.
Thanks man.

So, I confirmed today that Apple Maps will remember the last in-app audio setting. No need to screw around with it each time. Hopefully just once.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:27 PM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Yes, I use this device every time I drive my car. You are correct that the 'skipping' issue is a conflict of the bt signal when paired with the PCM phone interface and the Tune2air device. If you are only connected to the Tune2air device, then there will be no skipping ever. This has been my experience. I do not talk on the phone in the car much anyway and simply use the headphone/mic if I do. This provides clearer sound for both parties anyway.
I've chased after this with a number of BT dongles (they will all skip, some do sound much better than others though...), and have made it just slightly further: If you disconnect from PCM and then re-connect to PCM while still connected the the audio device, everything works with no skipping.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:04 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MadScience
I've chased after this with a number of BT dongles (they will all skip, some do sound much better than others though...), and have made it just slightly further: If you disconnect from PCM and then re-connect to PCM while still connected the the audio device, everything works with no skipping.
What dongle would you recommend?
Old 01-12-2017, 04:45 PM
Lightman
8th Gear

is it possible to upgrade/replace the pcm with the newer one they started installing in the later half of 2012?
Old 01-12-2017, 05:22 PM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
What dongle would you recommend?
I recommend turning bluetooth off in PCM while streaming. The dongles are all about the same in terms of running into the skipping. I'm actually curious if it's perhaps an android bug (I've used nexus 5, 5x and now the pixel xl in this car, and have run into similar noise with a headset on occasion). I have yet to borrow an iPhone and try it in that car.

I'm currently using this dongle, it doesn't have a battery and will power from the plug:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have one of these, and it sounds slightly better in general, but has the same issues when the PCM is on:

I don't think I'd spend that kind of money on one now though, the echo dot also sounds similarly good for bluetooth streaming. -- I have not tried it in the car yet, seems slightly crazy, could tether to my phone though and stream directly with no bluetooth.. Hmm, I wonder if the dot will fit in the center cubby.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:30 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MadScience
I recommend turning bluetooth off in PCM while streaming. The dongles are all about the same in terms of running into the skipping. I'm actually curious if it's perhaps an android bug (I've used nexus 5, 5x and now the pixel xl in this car, and have run into similar noise with a headset on occasion). I have yet to borrow an iPhone and try it in that car.

I'm currently using this dongle, it doesn't have a battery and will power from the plug:

I also have one of these, and it sounds slightly better in general, but has the same issues when the PCM is on:

I don't think I'd spend that kind of money on one now though, the echo dot also sounds similarly good for bluetooth streaming. -- I have not tried it in the car yet, seems slightly crazy, could tether to my phone though and stream directly with no bluetooth.. Hmm, I wonder if the dot will fit in the center cubby.
Thanks for the links. I bought THIS for $30 at Best Buy and it works well. Plugs right into the AUX port and the charging cable plugs into the USB port right next to it so there are no wires or devices visible.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:01 PM
Nuni CLW
1st Gear

Default Perfect solution. Cheap and Effective to bypass PCM 3.0 lack of Bluetooth Audio

Originally Posted by fuigo
I've been wanting to enjoy my online radio app on my iPhone for many months now. I researched online extensively. I emailed numerous car audio equipment shops. Everything gave me the same answer. There are a lot of 3rd-party options for the PCM 2.X and 3.1 versions. For those of us who are stuck with the PCM 3.0 really have no choice, but to improvise.

I eventually bought myself a cheap, yet effective, BT A2DP dongle, with a built-in USB power interface. I plug the dongle in the USB port on my 997.2 PCM 3.0 to get power and simply connect a regular 3.5mm AUX cable from the dongle to the AUX port!
Superb!!! I finally did the similar but my Bluetooth Adapter has little battery inside!!
Old 06-05-2019, 12:29 PM
JG888
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Ragilpin
btw: Sorry about the BIG picture, I'm new to this forum and didn't realize it was going to post that large!
Ignore him, you were being helpful!

Quick Reply: A2DP and PCM 3.0 (bluetooth streaming)