Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get iPod-like functionality from a burnt DVD-R (PCM 3.0, PCM 3.1, CDR 31)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:24 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation How to get iPod-like functionality from a burnt DVD-R (PCM 3.0, PCM 3.1, CDR 31)

(Will edit again with more detailed pictures when i get my Cayenne in 1-2 weeks)

figured this out when i had my Carrera 997.2, (Does NOT work on 997.1)

basically, this enables to to burn your home collection of music onto a DVD-R (4.7GB single layer or 8.5GB dual layer (note the dual layers sometimes are problematic to read)) and display the CD's just like an iPod hookup would display them on your PCM screen (Artists-->Albums-->Tracks).

this is directions for MAC owners, however PC users should be similar (Drag from the iTunes Folder (not from iTunes directly)) if you burn from iTunes it usually burn's them as apple format which does not read all the time on the PCM.

1: Insert the blank DVD-R into your CD/DVD drive (do not touch the back as they are very sensitive)

2: Prompt will show up asking what you wish to do with the DVD,

3: Click the prompt to "Open in Finder"

4: Window will open as shown:

5: Click "CTRL+N" to open another window in FINDER

6: Window will open as shown:

7: Left hand side you can click your computers name and then the "music folder" as highlighted above, OR music on the left and then will bring you tonext screen.

8: Window will open as shown, Click "iTunes"

9: Now Click "iTunes Music":

10: Select Artists you want (can either click and drag over desired artists one by one, OR hold command while clicking the artists you want (selects more than one) and drag into DVD-R folder, or select multiple folders and drag all over)

11: Now u can "right click" in the white area in the DVD-R finder and click "Arrange By" and then "Name" this will sort the Artists all alphabetically (Easier to find when in PCM)

12: Click "Burn" (bottom right of Finder Folder)

13: Insert DVD-R into the PCM and it will take maybe a minute to load and then the screen should show the DVD.. click for artists listed, click artist to see albums, click album to see tracks, click track to start playing.. will play to the end of the Album, then onto the Next album as sorted on the DVD.

(Note: if you drag an artist into the DVD-R finder folder and then change your mind, you gotta drag it back into the other finder... if you click delete, sometimes it tries to delete it from your "itunes" folder... so just pick what you want and keep an eye on the total folder size at the bottom of the finder window.)

-Riley

Can play: Pandora, XM, Other Internet Radio, or Any sound from iPhone/iPad/Touch thru PCM via Bluetooth.
(more detailed instructions once Cayenne Arrives)

1: Link phone to car via Bluetooth

2: Set audio source on PCM to "BTAudio"

3: Now anything you select to play on iPhone/iPad/Touch will play over the Car's Audio System (Pandora, iPod, Games, Internet Radio, Etc)
Old 02-22-2011, 12:46 AM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, Riley.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:01 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TooSixy
Awesome! Thanks for sharing, Riley.
nothing like having 50-100 CD's at your finger's disposal with Artists/Album/Track names right there... and it doesn't require 200$ iPod and 400-800$ in hardware..

thank you Porsche! for the loopholes.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:43 PM
txag81
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great tips. I tried to do the BT audio went into my PCM menu but did not see source option of BTaudio and could not find how to activate it in owners manual. Suggestions?
Thanks
Old 02-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 288 Posts

Wonder if this will work in my Bose CDR-30 in my 2011 Cayman.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nothing that unusual about that ... its exactly what should be happening when you burn 4-8gB of supported music files to a DVD-R and insert it into the disc player.

Mine always has a disc in it and the player is set to shuffle. My own, commercial free, interference free, audio source that costs $0/day to operate.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:58 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
Wonder if this will work in my Bose CDR-30 in my 2011 Cayman.
burn the same way using a CD-R and it will work, CDR units do not read DVD's
Old 04-12-2011, 03:59 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by txag81
Great tips. I tried to do the BT audio went into my PCM menu but did not see source option of BTaudio and could not find how to activate it in owners manual. Suggestions?
Thanks
you have PCM or CDR unit? what year?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:38 AM
Spectro28
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
you have PCM or CDR unit? what year?
No BTAudio on my PCM3 either, SW Vers. 1.44, 2010 C2S.

No mention of A2DP anywhere in any manuals... Sigh, our 2011 Ford Fiesta does this splendidly. But doesn't drive nearly so well, either.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:56 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Spectro28
No BTAudio on my PCM3 either, SW Vers. 1.44, 2010 C2S.

No mention of A2DP anywhere in any manuals... Sigh, our 2011 Ford Fiesta does this splendidly. But doesn't drive nearly so well, either.
maybe its panamera/cayenne specific then. :-/

Quick Reply: How to get iPod-like functionality from a burnt DVD-R (PCM 3.0, PCM 3.1, CDR 31)