Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RMS ...IMS on a tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:35 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulaions on mastering what is now an obsolete skill. Even Ferrari, nowadays, overwhelmingly sells F1 style transmissions over traditional 6 speeds. Now I would agree that the PDK is head and shoulders more sophisticated than a tip but basically you are in both cases surrenduring that clutch pedal and at least some control.

BTW I doubt you would find much in the way of a performance gap bertween the tip and the manual (you would with the PDK). Porsche quotes a mere 0.2 sec difference to 60 between the two and I that would probably be only in the hands of a very skilled driver and not the people above who likely suffer from delusions of adaquacy.

What is undeniably true, BTW, is that the turbo tip is much faster than the comparable 6 speed (997.1).
Old 01-26-2011, 11:36 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Congratulaions on mastering what is now an obsolete skill. Even Ferrari, nowadays, overwhelmingly sells F1 style transmissions over traditional 6 speeds. Now I would agree that the PDK is head and shoulders more sophisticated than a tip but basically you are in both cases surrenduring that clutch pedal and at least some control.

BTW I doubt you would find much in the way of a performance gap bertween the tip and the manual (you would with the PDK). Porsche quotes a mere 0.2 sec difference to 60 between the two and I that would probably be only in the hands of a very skilled driver and not the people above who likely suffer from delusions of adaquacy.

What is undeniably true, BTW, is that the turbo tip is much faster than the comparable 6 speed (997.1).
I am glad you like your car. The Tip whatever it's virtues performs poorly on the race track or road course. Since you like to speak in certainties let me assure you that is a fact. The Pink team at Road Atlanta droned along in their Tips well behind the pack in the 2006+ seasons. This apparently is unimportant to you. So be it. Your pissante attitude toward the manual transmission sounds like an example of ***** envy to me. Or perhaps you are still fighting the second world war and your problem is with the country of origion. Whatever. Please continue to enjoy your car as you see fit and extend the same right to others.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:44 PM
NIACAL4NIA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porsche design tiptronic

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Boolala, you need to do some research...

The Aisin transmissions from Japan are not POSs. That's why the tiptronics in VWs and Audis are from Aisin. My son drives a 2001 Passat with a 5 speed tiptronic from Aisin. 130,000 mile with no problems at all. During a recent few years one had to pay extra for a Cadillac CTS to get an Aisin trans rather than a GM trans. The only negative with the manual trans in the 911 is that first gear is ground into the shaft which means it cannot be replaced if damaged. This is realy only a problem for those that regularly drop the clutch. Those folks should save some $$$$ on their initial purchase and buy a Corvette instead.
According to Wikipedia my 1999 VW Passat V6 30 valve has a Porsche design tiptronic that went into the Porsche 993. Or could it be a Porsche design made by Aisin for VW.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:56 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by NIACAL4NIA
According to Wikipedia my 1999 VW Passat V6 30 valve has a Porsche design tiptronic that went into the Porsche 993. Or could it be a Porsche design made by Aisin for VW.
Tiptronic is a name licensed by Porsche. The VW trans is definitely an Aisin unit. Be careful.....anyone can input information into Wikipedia.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:08 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

IMHO. The Aisin manual is decent but not great. Notchy when cold with a short shifter and sometimes balky downshifting into first.

Seems very reliable and generally Japanese products are of very high quality.

I do like the driver engagement with the manual. That's the point in choosing the manual!!

Quick Reply: RMS ...IMS on a tiptronic?