Hi! new 997 Owner...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 11:17 PM
ric-ko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hi! new 997 Owner...

Hi All--

I've been lurking here for years and a month ago bought my first 911-- a 2007 4s convertible (Atlas Gray). I think I got a weirdly great deal, with a bit of risk. My last car was a very cool 2000 Boxster S.

It has 19,000 original miles, clean carfax-- except it had 5 owners. I paid $45K.

I bought it from a dealer, sight unseen, who put me in contact with the latest owner - who owned the car for the last six years or so. He loved it and maintained it well it seems.

Some dumb questions.

I have no idea what in the interior is leather and what is fake leather. How can I tell? I would like to make sure I clean/condition the right parts with the right chemicals.

Is the sports chrono clock useful at all? Can I get it to simply tell the time? If not, can I replace it with a simple clock (so it is useful?)?

I'm not a big fan of the stock (I think) exhaust and engine sound-- it is "farty" compared to my Boxster (which had a beautiful symphonic sound)-- are there any reasonably priced alternatives?

I'm sure I will have a lot of questions-- but I was excited to say hi to you all, and am enjoying being part of this "club".
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2015, 11:36 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

Congrats and welcome. The car looks great. There are a couple of links on the forum where you can get the original build sheet by entering the VIN. Sorry I don't have them bookmarked where I am right now. You can also download the original brochure for your model year on Stuttcars. That will help you see what options were available. I didn't think the seats were available in anything but genuine leather, but I could be wrong. I do know that the seatbacks dash, console and door trims are always available in leather and other materials. Regarding the exhaust; if it is stock you may want to consider the Fister modification. Look up FD Motorsports.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:36 AM
BBA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking 997. What's the risky part?

Seats on the 997 were leather. Full leather interior will have french stitching along the top edge of the dash, instrument cluster, and top of the door panel. That's probably the easiest way to tell. The standard interior is just molded vinyl.

Sport Chrono is actually a lap timer/stopwatch, and it's somewhat useless. The most valuable part of Sport Chrono is sport mode, which changes the throttle mapping and makes the car feel more responsive and quicker.

For the exhaust, do some research on the "Fister" mod. It is a fantastic upgrade and cheap. You can have FD Motorsports do it for you, or a local custom muffler shop.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:15 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Nothing like springtime to run around topless! Have to love the 4S - great car. Congrats!
Old 05-09-2015, 03:17 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats & welcome... looks great and sound like a good deal. Hopefully it will be a keeper for owner #6
Old 05-09-2015, 04:07 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Congrats and welcome. The Shark Werks center muffler delete provides a great sound improvement, especially so if you have PSE.

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 05-09-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:56 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by EMC2
Congrats and welcome. The car looks great. There are a couple of links on the forum where you can get the original build sheet by entering the VIN.
Here you go:
https://admin.porschedealer.com/repo...XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
replace XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX with your VIN number (ex. WP0AA.....)

Congratulations and welcome to the 997 Club!
Old 05-09-2015, 07:22 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks sweet! Resembles my wife's 2011 Carrera S cab, which is black on black.

Is that your son in the passenger seat? I'll bet HE is a happy camper! My children (daughter, 14, and son, 10) love her car.

Quick Reply: Hi! new 997 Owner...