Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS discount from dealer - your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I think you should let your regular sales guy know that one of his co-workers has left a bad taste in your mouth. It's not your guy's fault and I'm sure he'd like to know if one of the other guys was potentially costing him business.
The sales manager or GM is controlling this. I doubt either sales guy has any say. I can only assume the GM is hedging his bet on selling (or dealer trading) the car at full list versus upsetting you enough to take your business somewhere else.

Unfortunetly most markets don't have dealerships close enough to flip flop our loyality in the false hope of getting better service.

Porsche purchases are no different than purchasing a Viking stove. They are high end and exclusive. It's the price of admission.

After all how do you think Porsche dealerships pay for those granite tile floors and bottled water with their name on the label?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:50 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
No offense taken.

I'm making no claims for the GTS, other than the fact that it's an awesome iteration of the 997 (which is going bye-bye, as we all know).

Are there going to be a bunch of GTSs sitting on Porsche lots in the next few months? It all depends on how many Stuttgart decides to make. While no specific number has been published, the GTS is "supposedly" a limited edition. Not really sure what that means.

Will the 2011 GTSs be "more sought after" in the future? If only for the power kit alone, I'd say maybe.

But, for me, that's not really the point. I love the 997.2 and wanted to get one before the 991 replaced it. When the GTS was announced, it had almost all the stuff I would have wanted in a new 997, so I sold my '06 and ordered an '11.

Love the car; plan to have it for a long time.
I'm in the exact same boat. None of us are claiming its anything other than a C2S with some discounted (popular) options and a couple of unique features that make it attractive. No illusions here. But to think its going to be sitting around on lots in any significant numbers? Not very likely.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 PM
r2b2007
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI a couple of weeks ago there were 35 coupes available from a random sample of dealers in the US. In FL there were 6 coupes with a few more not being listed on the Porsche dealer sites (do not know why). I know this from emails from dealers I received. In FL some dealers are offering discounts around 5%. I had an order in which started in September and even reported my build on another site and I had a discount and other out the door cost adjustments from day one. My deal went away when we could not agree on the trade in valuation. For now I am taking a wait and see approach. I think gravedgr and leader are correct that future value will depend on how many Porsche decides to produce. Based on my random sample from a few weeks ago using the serial numbers on dealer sites there appeared to be 150+ coupes already built... I still believe the GTS is an outstanding car.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:21 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

from modding perspective i suspect GTS is quite a nightmare car, i am not sure how is it going to be dealt with suspension wise with its combination of C4S body and C2S drivetrain.

but it is probably very good in its stock form with its stock SPASM, so, not much modding will be even needed.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:31 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree, $1k off is a joke.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 578 Posts

When the 996 40th anni came out (powerkit and all) - it was heavily discounted. And it was a somewhat LE. I know it was the 996 and all. The GTS is an awesome car and fairly rare. Its a perfect 997.

BUT will its value / price decline as soon as the 991 is announced? To be determined.

It seems like there arent discounts to be had right now (or small ones at that) on the GTS.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:00 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

geez.....now I'm pissed off. for you!

I'd get one elsewhere intentionally and drive it by to show them later.....and just mention you got a better deal (whether you do get a better deal or not)
Old 01-21-2011, 01:30 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
I finally got the chance to drive a GTS yesterday. OMG I'm in love!

'05 Audi S4 Avant
Dang Dwight, do you still have the Avant, or have you passed it on?
Please say you have it, it's something other than Dolphin Grey and you'll sell it to me for a "bro price".

regarding the discount, i wouldn't expect too much on a limited edition model even with your relationship with them.

if they're only getting a few, they probably want to maximize their $$$$$$, sucks but they ARE a dealer.

Craig
Old 01-21-2011, 02:01 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

from what Ive read.... If you spec out a new 997 with the same exact spec as the gts.... in the end, the gts will be 1000's cheaper (getting a huge discount might be very tough). The gts badge is just a bonus. Genius Porsche marketing for sure.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:07 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Dang Dwight, do you still have the Avant, or have you passed it on?
Please say you have it, it's something other than Dolphin Grey and you'll sell it to me for a "bro price".

regarding the discount, i wouldn't expect too much on a limited edition model even with your relationship with them.

if they're only getting a few, they probably want to maximize their $$$$$$, sucks but they ARE a dealer.

Craig
Craig:

I did have a Dolphin Grey S4 Avant, but it turned into a Silver RS4, and then a white '08 S4 Avant. Those swine at AoA stopped importing the S4 Avant, so in desperation I turned to the only awd, high-powered "station wagon" I could find - the Panamera 4S. Sorry, traded in the last Avant last May.

But an update on the GTS story. Went by the dealership today. The sales manager was pissed off at what his salesman did - the deal is now significantly better. This is for a car with an ETA of early March. I think that's more reasonable. We now have my name on the order, although nothing has been signed yet. I'm still torn between buying the 997.2 at the end of the lease or trading it in on a 3 year lease for the GTS. But now that I've driven the GTS, I suspect it will win in the end.

Dwight Moore
'09 C2S
'10 P4S
Old 01-21-2011, 11:29 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

But now that I've driven the GTS, I suspect it will win in the end.
Do it! Pick the best 997.2 Carrera so far (IMHO) instead of gambling on a new 991. Considering how good the 997.2 is, and particularly the GTS, how much better can the 991 be? 991 S power will be roughly equal to GTS power, we know the car will be bigger, and 1st-2nd year cars always have small issues to be worked out.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:53 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

Craig:

Sorry, traded in the last Avant last May.
that's crappy news

But an update on the GTS story. Went by the dealership today. The sales manager was pissed off at what his salesman did - the deal is now significantly better. T
That's GREAT news!
good luck
Old 01-21-2011, 02:31 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Salesman at Champion Porsche told me that they give 3% off to any Joe who asks. They are open to more off from that point.

Point is, 1% is like a mark up in today's market.

Walk.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:26 PM
r2b2007
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Production update, again only using the vehicles available on the Porsche USA dealer search based on S/N's online there have been at least 339 coupes produced and available inventory is up with multiple dealers showing 2-3 coupes available at this time. In particular in CA in only a sampling of 6 sites I found two dealers with 3 coupes listed and the other 4 had 2 coupes. This in no way answers the question if the dealers build will match the car you want... Another poster reported that Reeves in Tampa, FL had a black GTS in inventory, they are now also showing a white one available... The black GTS has been there since December.

Quick Reply: GTS discount from dealer - your thoughts?