Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS discount from dealer - your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 PM
MrSelfDestruct
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
I drove a used 2010 GT3 with 2K miles on it the same day I drove the GTS. I LOVE the GT3, but between the suspension and the lack of ground clearance I just can't see it as a daily driver. I split my mileage about evenly between my two cars. The GT3 would be cheaper than the GTS.

As I mentioned in my original post, this was NOT my usual salesman. I suspect he'll be annoyed (at least) to find out what happened while he was away. I'm not holding this episode against the dealership, at least not yet. I just think it's amazing to see how cocky some sales people can be. It seems like this guy wants to close the sale with me before my usual salesman comes back from his days off. Classy!

DMoore
'09 C2S
'10 P4S
Did you drive the GT3 with the Front Axle Lifting System? I find my GT3 with the lift never gives me issues but my C2S with sport suspension scrapes the front spoiler all over the place and has a rougher ride.

As for the original post, I got 3% off my GT3 and would expect at least that on a GTS.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

Expecting a discount on a car in a dealer's inventory, especially one that's been sitting for a while, is reasonable.

A similar discount on a custom-ordered car to your specifications, while certainly possible, would be far less likely.

At least, that's been my experience.

Also, dealers who readily sell all the Porsches they can get, are far less likely to deeply discount, as opposed to dealer's who fill up their allotment slots with heavily-optioned cars. In Southern California, most Porsche dealers used to sell every car they could get, and had waiting lists. That's not been the case for the last 24 months or so, but it's heading back in that direction pretty fast.

I haven't seen any GTS cars "sitting in inventory" anywhere yet. I'd be surprised if they are easy to get in the near future, but that may be wishful thinking on my part.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not shop around and see what others will offer. It's the only way you'll really know what discounts are achievable.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:19 PM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For what it's worth we just got 3% off on a build-to-order cayenne s. Dealer can barely keep them on the lot where we live. It was the 2nd p-car we had purchased from them in less than 6mos.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
Wait... There were two 40th ann cars a decade appart? Anniversary of what then?

Sorry for the mistake, the 964 was a special 30th anniversary

http://www.jubi.pocg.de/?Gallery
Old 01-19-2011, 11:44 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by CBnAT
I was offered a discount where you bought your car to try to get me to move out of my current car. I'm not trying to start something, just stating the facts. That was in November. I posted a thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-sticker.html
I never said there weren't discounts to be had. Simply that the only factual information on what they are will come from people who are buying or have bought them. The rest is guesstimates. The intarweb knows all.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:46 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Seriously with the 991 coming out there will be PLENTY of GTS's on the lots in the months to come.
I got $50 that says you're wrong.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:02 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

Leader, Doug (Gravedgr), bottomline I absolutely love your GTS (so no offense), but if the 997 crowd can enlighten me (seriously not trying to be a smart *** here trust me) on why this happened: The first gen Cayenne GTS was such a desirable vehicle in the Cayenne line up not too long ago. But somehow it has become that much less sought after now (including the left over new 2010 GTS)with the 2011 Cayenne debut which everyone raves about (in fact I am picking up a custom ordered one for my family this weekend). Why so ? Do you think the first gen Cayenne GTS may be more sought after say in a couple of decades when compared to a say 2011 Cayenne S. Perhaps yes ... I just don't know
Old 01-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

No offense taken.

I'm making no claims for the GTS, other than the fact that it's an awesome iteration of the 997 (which is going bye-bye, as we all know).

Are there going to be a bunch of GTSs sitting on Porsche lots in the next few months? It all depends on how many Stuttgart decides to make. While no specific number has been published, the GTS is "supposedly" a limited edition. Not really sure what that means.

Will the 2011 GTSs be "more sought after" in the future? If only for the power kit alone, I'd say maybe.

But, for me, that's not really the point. I love the 997.2 and wanted to get one before the 991 replaced it. When the GTS was announced, it had almost all the stuff I would have wanted in a new 997, so I sold my '06 and ordered an '11.

Love the car; plan to have it for a long time.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:41 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

I completely agree with your post and thoughts. You better keep it for a loooong time.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:20 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

there is a triple black GTS just sitting at reeves porsche of tampa.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:52 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

A Porsche forum is the only place someone would get annoyed at being offered a discount.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:49 AM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also just bought a GTS and surprised so many people are commenting that the 997.2 replacement next yr will be so much "better". I did not think there was too much information other than some very blurry spy shots out on the next generation car, is there ? Actually the reason I bought the GTS (and was debating GTS vs GT3) is becuase I think the 997.2 platform is so good that wanted something in case the next generation 911 is newer but not better as is sometime the case...(think 996)....
Old 01-20-2011, 11:00 AM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rijowysock
there is a triple black GTS just sitting at reeves Porsche of Tampa.
Hennessey in ATL has two in stock. They are drop tops though.

They are out there, and so are allocations. Bottom line is guys paid (sticker) to be first. I almost did so myself. There is nothing wrong with paying to be first. People are going to do it all over again to get the next 911 and that is when the bargains on the 997.2's will be out there, GTS included. I assume however that the GTS bargains will not be as large and will dry up faster than other models.

When I decided to wait out my lease instead of taking the early termination deal, I was offered a discount on a GTS that I would order to my specification. I did not bite because I didn't want to go up on my payment when if I waited a few months I could likely get the car anyway. I may be wrong and they may all be gone.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:15 AM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

maybe the GTS is more sought after or rare than a GT3, i dunno, but I got 8% off my 2010 GT3 about 10 months ago. and yes, check hennessy porsche in atlanta for an in stock GTS.

Quick Reply: GTS discount from dealer - your thoughts?