Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 03:11 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

Funny to hear everyone talking about USAA here. I joined 30 plus years ago but dumped them for State Farm a few years back. USAA, here is Texas, was not competitive in either the Auto or Home policies. No question its a great company just not as competitive or even competitive as they used to be. In the early days when it was open to only officers it was the best out there and could not be touched. Very few of my officer buddies insure with USAA anymore. Every year I get a competitive bid from them and they are about $400 a year more for just for my my Porsche's.

I currently pay $1600 a year for full coverage on my 06 997 C4S and 06 Cayenne TS, Liability only on my 95 Ford truck and $1M liability umbrella.

When I left them not only were my insurance payments much lower but after 9 months they refunded my subscriber saving account to me. That was around $5,000

If you find USAA a good deal in your state then by all means use them however I would highly suggest you shop around.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

How is USAA, State Farm, et all re repairs? Do thy issue OEM parts? I am learning now that CSAA may not allow OEM if they can find third-party or salvaged; that is a very bad thing.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:22 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if regional rates vary across the country with regards to whose rates are the best in a given area, but I've been with Allstate for the last 4+ years, and they are VERY competitive- far better than Progressive, Geico, etc etc. YMMV. I live in No. CA. Every time I shop they do better overall than the competitors.

Word of advice: do NOT rely on the web-based rates Allstate projects for your estimate. Call your local Allstate agent directly for the rates, as they are significantly less than what their web service projects for your costs.

Allstate used to be pretty complacent and pretty steep, but about 5 years ago they got real aggressive in building their portfolio of a generation of new customers.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:32 AM
MJPereira
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
I too have had Allstate Insurance since 1985. Wife worked for them for 22 years. Here's some tips: Higher your deductable to max or $1000. Also if your P car is an additional car that should lower the rates on it substantially. (mine is and the rates are good). Here's more: lowering your bodily injury to 100/300 and property damage to 50k. Do the same with uninsured motorists limits. This should help. If your a DD and have a family that you like the most coverage for in case you happen to go out and cause a serious accident where people are hurt and you wreck a another high value car, than keep the higher limits.
I would seriously disagree with lowering the bodily injury limits. Coming from a family of lawyers, all say to always take the maximum allowable coverage for bodily injury. You never know what's going to happen in an accident and with medical costs where they're at, the last thing you want it to end up paying out the nose for the rest of your life.

I use Progressive but I'm considering switching myself. I feel the rates are two high and they raise your rates for any little ticket you get regardless of whether or not you're getting any motor vehicle points.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:38 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

State Farm in my book. I have all my insurance bundled and save a bunch. More importantly, when I had a claim earlier this year (I totaled my last 997) they came through big time. Paid me full fair replacement value even though it was more than I paid for the car. No fuss, no arguments. I give them an A+ on service and handling of claims.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:00 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Following up on MJPereira's response to Dartmouth's post: It's wise to maximize liability coverage and and get the largest umbrella available. It is cheap protection against a catastrophic judgment. I think I paid around $250 for a $2 million umbrella. Lots of folks mistakenly think they only need insurance to match their assets. In truth, you need insurance to cover the worst case scenario, such as causing an accident that results in a lifetime disability to a high earner with a family. Think about it: if you have only $300k insurance and get hit with a judgment for $1.5 million, the insurance company will pay the policy limits and the lawyers will go after your assets to collect the $1.2 million balance.

Quick Reply: Insurance