GT3 or GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 06:22 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Awaiting GT3/RS forum crossover mob to heat the tar
ha! well, maybe when taken out of context like that, guys might find that statement inflammatory. in context, i think it's fairly and honestly described based on my experience.

don't forget to mention i love the car!
Old 07-27-2016, 06:26 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
I still have my GT3 and I still put many thousands of track miles a year on it. If I wasn't such a track rat, though, I'd be way happier with a 997 GTS.
you sound exactly like one of the guys the GT3 is perfect for. it also sounds like you recognize that car's limitations. my point exactly. you said it fewer words.

cheers.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:29 PM
Beretta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice input!
And yes, I am asking about 997 cars.
Whant the GT3 -10 or -11, but I think the GTS maybe would be the better choise for me...

Not in anyway in a hurry, but it would be nice to know what to look for when searching..

Still confused..
Old 07-29-2016, 01:52 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Still confused as well here. Turbo or Turbo S in the city is fine and fast as crap. I'd get a GT3 but I'm not a track guy yet. That said I need the back seats and no roll bar for the 3 year old who can't stand NOT ridding in the PORSCHE 911!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2016, 03:12 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Traffic53
yep. I did it. install was perfect. in no way could you tell it was added after.
that said, i owned that 997.2 GT3 for a solid 9 months before coming to my senses. took a break from the sportscar for a bit then re-entered the 997 family with a GTS.

my opinion is similar to what's already been offered in that the GT3 is a very cool 911, but it's not a particularly useful 911. I'm as excited as the next guy about crazy sportscar specs, always hoping they make one that rides like a racecar and sits low with bucket race seats and sounds delicious. blah, blah, blah. i'm that guy. however, after owning a GT3 (and a 993 Carrera before that), i can confidently say the GT3 is a no-man's-land car. It might fit into specific scenarios just fine, but for the overwhelming majority, it just isn't a great machine. If you've got room for 10 cars, fine. You'll love it once in awhile. Daily driving though is not ideal. It's low, it's real firm, the awesome buckets are a pain to get in and out. It's loud- if it has the correct exhaust. And rest assured, you'll start bending if not breaking s**t when you try to roll it around the city. The best thing about it is that you can track it, right? Terrible idea. It's fast as hell on a track which means you'll crash it. Since there's no cage and regular seatbelts, it's dangerous. Fine, you say, put in harnesses and a bar. Well, there goes the backseat...and now you have a ridiculous rollbar and ridiculous harnesses in your beautiful 911. And you'll still crash it- because you didn't adjust the suspension and slap on a set of tires. Trust the stranger on this one. Street cars for the street, racecars for the track. Again, I love the GT3. It's just not all that good at anything.

The GTS is what you are looking for. The clutch is the correct weight and pressure. The motor doesn't mind low RPM starts and stops and traffic and side streets. The back seat is already there. It looks amazing with the widebody but no crap hanging off it like giant wings and dive planes, etc. The dampers are firm, but nowhere near as stiff as the GT3. Rides just like a 911 should on the street. Eats up minor bumps and holes no problem. Feels really solid and hearty over those bumps while the GT3 felt like it just got harpooned.

The bottom line is this: the GTS does all of what the GT3 can do, most of it better. GT3 is kind of a china doll.

just one man's opinion.
Your post is the reason why I didn't get a GT3 in the first place, many many others has said what you've just said. I just regret not getting it for the appreciating asset that it is now. 997 GT3 were at it's lowest value when I purchased my C4S. I thought it was a better idea to get a C4S with a GT3 aerokit, much more easy to live with on a day to day basis. But some parts of me do regret b/c GT3 is a more special car.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Seneca035
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALEV8
Still confused as well here. Turbo or Turbo S in the city is fine and fast as crap. I'd get a GT3 but I'm not a track guy yet. That said I need the back seats and no roll bar for the 3 year old who can't stand NOT ridding in the PORSCHE 911!!!!!!!!
Glad I found this thread.

I've been lusting after a GTS/GT3 for such a long time, but my TTS fell in my lap while I was looking. Perhaps it was meant to be, no one will know.

I commute, have a 2.5 year old, wife may want to drive occasionally. The flexibility is nice, and it's right in front of me. Funny how that works.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:44 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

GTS for daily and 2nd car, GT3 for track and your 3rd/4th car.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:24 PM
robgts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not have both? GTS and GT3...in one car! I have a 2012 GTS and did WAAAY to much research and spent WAAAAY too much money finding the perfect setup...Here is what I came up with:
2012 GTS coupe with Sport Chrono PDK
factory aero kit
factory Cup rear wing and deck lid
Guard LSD
Elephant Racing Fully Adjustable suspension components
Solid Engine Mounts
OE Bilstein B16 coilover suspension that attaches into PASM and is fully adjustable. Basically a stiffer version of the stock suspenders.
GMG 1/2 roll cage color matched to Carrara White Exterior
Sparco Evo 2 US front seats upholstered in Sand Beige Leather to match interior.
Schroth Harness for Hans
Sharkwerks Xpipe (does nothing for performance but helps with weight and sounds AMAZING without being obnoxious. Also works with my factory "exhaust button")

With this setup I was able to lap Laguna Seca at 1:39 and drive home....The wife even likes it!
Cheers

Quick Reply: GT3 or GTS?