Sponsored by:

GT3 or GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:35 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt

I call DIBBS on your Rivi blue Turbo !!!

Phil
Originally Posted by Cowhorn
for me right now, the turbo is the right car...or maybe the GT2...
Ahhh, you're going to have to get the GT2 Cowhorn. I already called dibbs on the Turbo! Remember?

Phil
Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Moderato
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me this seems like a pretty easy choice. If you're going to spend a lot of time at the track and/or if the car is going to be primarily a weekend car then the GT3. If you want to use the car as a DD and want to enjoy that aspect of a 997 then the GTS seems like an amazing choice given the extra HP. Also finally being able to get the C4 widebody in a "regular" RWD C2 is a nice bonus also. I really can't see going wrong with either choice.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:56 AM
Imsorry
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
I can not think of an answer, I am mesmerised by your avatar pic...
+1...GT who?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks again for all your input. I have to admit I am surprized I haven't gotten much ribbing about keeping the turbo.

It was helpful for me to think "out loud" and get objective feedback from knowledgeable people. I wish I could have all three, but feel good about my decision.

Sorry, Phil. Maybe in a few years?
Old 12-29-2010, 03:03 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
What exactly is the difference between the GT3 and the C2S ? I'm actually curious to expand my Porsche knowledge. For example is the chassis exactly the same?

The engine - 'nuff said

Aero kit - not too expensive to add to C2S if you decide you need it

Suspension - lots of us add GT3 parts (sways, LCA's) and lots of GT3 guys upgrade further to JRZ's or Motons or whatever.

Rear seat delete, sunroof delete, alcantara interior, goofy stickers option

Is there anything else that I'm missing ?
you are missing carriers, hubs, different brake calipers, some weight reduction bits. it is worth to have a copy of parts catalog - you can see this stuff right away there. what does matter is - cup and gt3 hubs allow car to be lowered way more still maintaining proper angle between front arms, stock C2/C2S parts limit that amount pretty much to ROW high. so if you want to roll up your fenders and drop car all the way down - it will require some extra work.

overall any NB 997 tub is the same across C2, C2S and GT3 so essentially it is kind of all replaceable. to start with C2 as I did is cheaper and M96 motor is cheaper to replace than GT3 motor, but GT3 will be in proper class from the beginning plus extra horses are always fun, so, if you going to race and want to fit into proper stock class - it is better to have GT3 from the beginning. if just for sheer fun on a budget - it does not matter anymore as soon as you car has less than 50% of stock parts left in it.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:29 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Just want share in case some folks are interested...

Checkout the following post from a sister rennlist forum -- GT Porsche Magazine just interviewed Wolfgang Dürheimer (the head of PAG R&D.) Mr. Dürheimer said that the GT2RS will be the last new Porsche using the legendary GT1-block engine.

If that means the 997.2 GT3 will be the last GT3 with the famous Metzger GT1-block engine, it will more-or-less add some collectible value to the current 997.2 GT3 (just like the 993 with the last air-cooled engine.)

On the other hand, Porsche will be uncovering the new Carrera lineup (aka the 991) in about a month, it will be a new chassis with newer versions fo the 9A1 engine (which is being used in the 997.2 GTS.)

Regards,

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ferrerid=59610
Old 12-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

I almost picked up a GT3 but decided against purely because of a leg issue. Had not been for that I would have gone with the GT3.

What are they changing on the 9A1 engine?
Old 12-31-2010, 08:57 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Just want share in case some folks are interested...

Checkout the following post from a sister rennlist forum -- GT Porsche Magazine just interviewed Wolfgang Dürheimer (the head of PAG R&D.) Mr. Dürheimer said that the GT2RS will be the last new Porsche using the legendary GT1-block engine.

If that means the 997.2 GT3 will be the last GT3 with the famous Metzger GT1-block engine, it will more-or-less add some collectible value to the current 997.2 GT3 (just like the 993 with the last air-cooled engine.)

On the other hand, Porsche will be uncovering the new Carrera lineup (aka the 991) in about a month, it will be a new chassis with newer versions fo the 9A1 engine (which is being used in the 997.2 GTS.)

Regards,

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ferrerid=59610

Thanks for the info.

I would have thought the same issue with the old Turbo would have brought more enthusiasm for the old Turbo, but people seem to dig the non-GT1 turbo even more (especially with PDK). Oh well.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:23 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to chime in on this one as I have a GT3 and drive it daily. First, other than the fact you will scrape your front lip and the flaps in front of the front wheels a lot; there are no other issues driving the new GT3 daily. Yes the clutch, shifter and even the gas pedal spring are stiffer; but you get used to it in a couple of days.

My bottom line, if you are split at all on buying a GT3 or a GTS, you buy a GT3. Why? Many reasons.

1. Resale. Although you pay more, the GT3 will always hold its resale value better than the common man's Carrera/S.
2. If you order a sport shifter, lower PASM sport suspension/LSD and aerokit, you are at a GT3 price. These options of course are all substandard to the standard components on a GT3.
3. You simply get a lot more with a GT3:
- A better aero package with a front splitter (different from aerokit) than generates 70 lbs of downforce, an adjustable rear wing (different than aerokit) that generates 166 lbs of downforce and a full body smooth undertray to further reduce lift.
- Lighter weight components including aluminum doors. GTS doors are steel.
- A more expensive and better Mezner engine with more power and torque. The Mezger GT3 engine costs about twice what a 9A1 engine costs.
- A racing based German Getrag transaxle versus the weak softer shifting Japanese built box, if you don't fork over the $4300 (plus $500 for the right steering wheel) for the PDK.
- You get larger brakes on the GT3, 6 piston front calipers with 15" front rotors and 13.8" rear rotors versus the smaller S 13" rotors and 4-pistons brakes on all 4 corners of the GTS. Of course you could go for the PCCB option and get brakes that are still over an inch smaller than the standard GT3 brakes. The GT3 has far improved brake cooling with 2 sets of brake ducts at each corner.
- The GT3 comes with R90 (Pagid RS19) brake pads from the factory, where if you plan to track your GTS you will need to invest in a decent set of race pads.
- You get wider wheels out back, 12" versus 11" on a GT3. Both have the same size tires, yet the GTS has a wider body on narrower wheels. Hmmm...
- The GT3 comes with R compound tires from the factory: Corsas or Pilot Sport Cups. The GTS comes with regular street tires.
- Finally, you have what makes a GT3 a GT3: the suspension. Start with different front and rear subframes to align the control arms straighter for the lower ride height, adjustable coilovers with stiffer springs/monoball mounts, adjustable sway bars and split front lower control arms. If you are going to setup a GTS for the track, get your credit card out instead.

Bottom line is there is no comparison if you are seriously contemplating between the 2 cars. I have to say that compared to the Carrera S, a GTS is an absolute bargain. In fact, I think anyone who now chose to get an S is a fool for not getting a GTS. Same thing goes for someone wanting GT3 and settling for a GTS.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 01-06-2011 at 03:41 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:22 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 304 Posts

10 GT# is totally correct. I also drive my 2010 GT3 daily and big whoppee it scrapes. The front lip is 200 bucks and is a replaceable item, plus you learn very quickly when and where you can go. To me the GTS will be close to what the S is from the 991, but is nowhere near a GT3. If there was one and only one model that represents what a 911 is about it would be a GT3. NOW with the Mezger block being gone it seems this car might be worth keeping for a long long time (a la 993)!!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
I am going to chime in on this one as I have a GT3 and drive it daily.
I don't disagree with any of your points, but much of your list is irrelevant for someone who knows that they won't be taking the car to the track and some (like the less streetable brake pads) are actually downsides for a strictly street car. That was the question posed by the thread.

I also disagree that the GTS (or any 911) qualifies as a "common man's car." We're talking about $100K cars here, they're both quite exclusive.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:52 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Just a reminder that the 997.2 GT3 also came with an option Front Axle Lifting System. I have it, and it works very well to avoid scraping the front lip. I actually could go through driveways (e.g. gas station, speedbumps) that used to scrape the front on my 997.1S.

Regards,
Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 PM
cbzzoom

I sure hope not, cuz I want to buy a cheap used GT3 a few years from now!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:54 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Just a reminder that the 997.2 GT3 also came with an option Front Axle Lifting System. I have it, and it works very well to avoid scraping the front lip. I actually could go through driveways (e.g. gas station, speedbumps) that used to scrape the front on my 997.1S.

Regards,
I originally had front axle lift on my allocation order, but took it off when I found out that front lips are indeed only $200. Since front axle lift is $3500, I could buy 17.5 front lips for the same price. Cost wise, didn't make sense to get it.

I have bought 2 spare front lips and rotate one of these with my original lip if it gets scraped up and kept the 2nd spare wrapped to go on the car the day I sell it. I have swapped front lips 4 times over the last year. One of the times my dealer scraped it up driving around their parking lot and refinished it for me. If I had front axle lift, it would hot have prevented all the scrapes as some are not predictable and if you go over bumps or dips at higher speeds, it won't operate. I actually refinish my front lips. I can swap front lips in 10 minutes. To refinish, I just sand it down the area where it is scraped and repaint it with flat black flexible bumper paint. My current lip has been on the car over 5 months and doesn't have a chip on it. You simply have to learn how to approach ramps and dips.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:11 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nugget
I don't disagree with any of your points, but much of your list is irrelevant for someone who knows that they won't be taking the car to the track and some (like the less streetable brake pads) are actually downsides for a strictly street car. That was the question posed by the thread.

I also disagree that the GTS (or any 911) qualifies as a "common man's car." We're talking about $100K cars here, they're both quite exclusive.

Continuing on this thread, I would not understand why anyone would want a GT3 as a strictly a street car. Buy a turbo instead. They would NEVER get to really enjoy the car like on the track where the GT3 shows its true brilliance. There is simply no way you could ever really explore this car's potential on the street. Everything about the GT3 is centered around the driver and the driving experience. With over 3/4's of these cars being tracked, they hit the mark with people who really enjoy driving. Yes there are posers out there who will be these cars simply for the looks. They are the same ones that sell them after a couple of months as they just don't get it. It is a track car that can be driven even daily on the streets and compared to a GTS, there is no comparison.

So what is really unique about a GTS? Not much. It is basically a Carrera S with a few normal options standard, centerlock wheels and wider rear fenders. What makes it special is you get those options standard with a price that is substantially less than a regular Carrera S with the same options. Production is not limited so don't expect any major improvement in resale.

Quick Reply: GT3 or GTS?