Sponsored by:

Questions for those with Turbo and Carrera experience--

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Does he get a thrill driving my car: yes. Does he want a TT? Yes, who doesn't want more HP/Tq in a sports car? (oops!! some people on RList don't, I forgot!
I still don't think you're fully getting what many of us are saying regarding TT vs. NA 911. That and you forgot to qualify it as "all else being equal." The TT's extra power also comes with AWD characteristics and added weight, which when taken together, becomes a different proposition for some.

Say my buddy (who really has a 993) got 997S and I have my Turbo. Why would he get the 997S? Because he has kids' futures to think of, and his wife would kill him for being selfish with >$100K on a freeking car. It's just his situation, his choice.
It sounds to me like you're implying your friend would only opt against the TT due to budget, and that's perfectly reasonable. There's nothing wrong with being fiscally responsible. I won't read any more into what your "unintended" insinuation may have been.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:58 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
I still don't think you're fully getting what many of us are saying regarding TT vs. NA 911. That and you forgot to qualify it as "all else being equal." The TT's extra power also comes with AWD characteristics and added weight, which when taken together, becomes a different proposition for some.
I effing get it. Had it when I first posted.

NEWS FLASH! The OP wants to know of 997S ---> 997TT guys' with personal experience! In ALL all my posts I'm telling y'all about my personal experience and opinions ; here I'm mentioning my acquaintance Rick's (993 owner) huge enthusiasm as a ___993___ owner and incidentally every buddy who's driven my car with me in passenger's seat freeks out over the car. SO WHAT?! Should I keep my personal experience out of it!?

Except in one case where she/he twisted my meaning, nobody has ever quoted me here saying guys who disagree with my opinions are [insert bad and nasty nouns here].

MY PERSONAL FRICKIN' OPINION AS A FORMER 997S OWNER TO THE OP: IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A 997 ROAD CAR GET THE TURBO!

Thank you. No hard feelings.

Last edited by LlBr; 12-03-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

MY PERSONAL FRICKIN' OPINION AS A FORMER 997S OWNER TO THE OP: GET THE TURBO!

Thank you. No hard feelings.
Reviewing your last 100, or so, posts, a crashing majority are in this (NA) forum... and yes, you are free to post anywhere you like, but it is hard to avoid thinking that you either have a hidden love for NA cars or you are on a mission proselytizing the Turbo. Other Turbo owners mostly post in the Turbo forum (for the obvious reasons). Just saying...
Old 12-03-2010, 04:29 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Reviewing your last 100, or so, posts, a crashing majority are in this (NA) forum... and yes, you are free to post anywhere you like, but it is hard to avoid thinking that you either have a hidden love for NA cars or you are on a mission proselytizing the Turbo. Other Turbo owners mostly post in the Turbo forum (for the obvious reasons). Just saying...

I'm just saying when I have nothing else to do I will defend myself when necessary because I refuse to be LYNCHED! (half-joking)

So if guys would read my posts and understand them instead of skimming them and going totally reductive as they jump to conclusions I would love to move on and do something else.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm just saying when I have nothing else to do I will defend myself when necessary because I refuse to be LYNCHED! (half-joking)

So if guys would read my posts and understand them instead of skimming them and going totally reductive as they jump to conclusions I would love to move on and do something else.
There are a number of intelligent, educated and reasonable people here who, based on their responses to your posts, have read them pretty carefully, and aren't just "skimming" them. I think most are giving your views a fair hearing and are not "jumping to conclusions". You say not to take things personally. Just a suggestion, but maybe you should take things less personally yourself and realize that if this many readers are not "understanding" your opinion, maybe your presentation has something to do with it.

I may be wrong, but it seems you believe that independant of price, everyone would choose a TT over a NA Porsche, as you did. Furthermore, you seem to think people who don't feel the same as you do aren't being reasonable and you make sarcastic comments about them such as: who doesn't want more HP/Tq in a sports car? (oops!! some people on RList don't, I forgot!). Do you not see why this kind of comment might stir people up and why when you say "no hard feelings" or place a "cheers" emoticon at the end of the post it rings pretty hollow?

I'm one of those unreasonable RLister's who could easily have bought a TT and chose a NA Porsche instead. That doesn't make me better or worse than you, just different. Why can't you simply acknowledge that, let go of the persecution complex, and try to refrain from responding with another anecdote or example of why your point of view (and car) is better after all?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:09 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

The irony of it all is that soon PAG may very well extend turbos to all its models or at least its lower end ones because that is one way to offer some power with lower gas consumption (at least on paper) in this eco driven world. That says it all about turbo and NA.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:34 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Or as he has posted, he used to have a NA 997, like I did, and spent a lot of time on this forum. Plus the turbo forum on rennlist is not that trafficked because most of us post on 6speed.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:36 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by texas911
Or as he has posted, he used to have a NA 997, like I did, and spent a lot of time on this forum. Plus the turbo forum on rennlist is not that trafficked because most of us post on 6speed.
Do I detect a certain nostalgia in "used to have a NA 997" ?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:32 PM
texas911
Race Car

Well since the 997 Turbo is still a 997 then it makes sense to post on a 997 forum about it. But go on perpetuating the them vs us mentality.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:24 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

My experience of driving the Turbo is limited to ~100 miles in a friends 993TT.

The turbo power is very addicting and I'd trade for it in a minute. I find the acceleration much more useful in street driving than I do the 2 wheel drive handling characteristics. I generally like to accelerate quickly a few times/day or up to expressway speeds quickly and do so more than exercising limit handling capabilities. The rush of power when boost kicks in is intoxicating.

My .02
Old 12-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm....I am certain I've seen this thread before.....let me see where was it?...

oh yeah, 3 months ago ...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...and-turbo.html

In this former thread, we made it to post 196....so about 50 to go this time around..

(curious that the points of view, and advocates are almost identical.....why do I hear Rod Serling's voice???)
Old 12-05-2010, 01:55 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

More like groundhog day than the twilight zone.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:54 PM
texas911
Race Car

Wow, the same old cast of characters on the same topic. I'm ashamed I got involved in this ongoing feud you guys have. I'm tapping out.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:03 AM
ganongrey
Track Day

Barstool racing.

If all we cared about was 0-60 we'd have blown Mustangs with 385 slicks in the back.

When's the last time you cored out free time to take your Porsche on the Nuremberg (I know it's Nurburgring but I laugh everytime I see it, no offense to anyone)

The too much power arguement- Really, on a Porsche board.

Now flamesuit on- The RS60 and later Spyder/Cayman R offer the purest driving experience of what a real sports car should be. Light weight (not Lotus light, but c'mon). Just enough power to make it interesting, but you can wind it up pretty well everyday. It has enough power and you can enjoy the driving dynamics everyday- the Spyder has the advantage of looking cool. The RS60...your red interior looks like **** to the guy in a minivan.

C2S 997.1- lighter car, pure rwd feel. Does bobble, still a bit of a GT.
C4S 997.2- Steering is a bit less expressive, but for the ability to not care about kicking out the back end in rain, slick roads, it's well worth it. And it's got a great ***.

997.1 Turbo- Heavier car. Less playful. Turbo response can be laggy. Now the weird part, with the NA engine, at a given gear at a given RPM, you know how much pull the engine will have. With the turbo, your power can be varied based on the amount of boost, so if that boost kicks in on a curve and you're not ready, it can be scary.

997.2 Turbo- PDK. Minimizes turbo lag. Boost isn't lost on shifts so a little more fidelity with power delivery. That said, the car goes like stink.

997.2 GT3- Wow. Race car. Wow. It sounds right. It feels right. You know the engine like...edited for content. It sounds and acts like the sports car you dreamed of as a child. You can redline it, hold a curve and beat on it at a track. That said- the clutch is stiff which can get old. It's a bit stiff. It's loud. It's more racecar than sports car IMHO.

So drive what you like.

I know a oil and gas guy who loves his GTR to death. He considers it mindless fun on his commute. And he has or had a GT3 RS.

But are you buying the car for you or for everyone else? Some may make fun of Boxsters and Cayman as the poor man's Porsche (at $70k however).

The most fun I've had used to be in a old AP1 S2000. It had 240 HP, but was light and revved to 9000k. The shift gate on the stick was perfect. It was a proper sports car and technically mid-engined. And the BMW M-Roadster or M-Coupe is a proper, old-school sports car that you can thrash around and feel it working.

So 0-60 is good if you're racing 'stangs at red lights.
Launch control is cheating.
40-60, 60-80 or even rolling 5-60 is a better show of power and acceleration. But still that's not the whole story. My E55 can run 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, but it's a damn cruise missle, it's like the bus in 'Speed'- don't try to slow down or turn.

So in this humble doc's opinion (damn TT Surgeon for taking the cool as name...maybe he'd change it to Ortho TT Surgeon or orTTho Surgeon) buy what you think you want. If it doesn't do what you need it to do, buy something else.

Quick Reply: Questions for those with Turbo and Carrera experience--