Sponsored by:

Questions for those with Turbo and Carrera experience--

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:12 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Questions for those with Turbo and Carrera experience--

Just wondering: if you've ever owned, or do own a 911 Turbo, would you ever go back to a Carrera (S or other)?

I realize the power of a Turbo must be addictive, but let's face it--most of us rarely track our cars and there are few places we can safely exploit The speed and power of any modern 911.

I understand that many here can simply afford anything they want, and realistically there is no doubt that the Turbo is the pinnacle of 911 design. I personally prefer the clean lines of a wide-body 911 to the scoops and wings on Turbos, but I also realize that I don't see those things from the cockpit and the rush of power from a Turbo must be insane--and that alone might make it more satisfying than any normally aspirated car (except possibly a GT3 or RS).

So let's be honest. If you're a turbo owner, would you ever go back to a normally aspirated, lower-powered Carrera? Have any of you driven both, could have gotten either, and decided on the Carrera?

One day I hope to respond to this post myself, but I've never driven a newer Turbo and wanted a normally aspirated 911 for my first Pcar. For the car I wanted, a turbo was financially out of the question anyway.

A buddy of mine just got a 2011 Turbo S I'm looking forward to driving, though!
Thanks in advance!
Old 11-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I prefer RWD, lighter weight, and the cleaner lines of the Carrera. Even ignoring cost I'd rather have a GT3 or C2S than a Turbo.

Perhaps a turbo is the better car but in my opinion a C2S is the better 911.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:46 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by docfink

So let's be honest. If you're a turbo owner, would you ever go back to a normally aspirated, lower-powered Carrera? Have any of you driven both, could have gotten either, and decided on the Carrera?
You sure you're not trolling? I can get into a lot of trouble here!

You should really go to a turbo board and see what guys say. Pretty much [big percentage number here] of the guys there do not look back at the 997/S they moved on from. I had a 2006 997S when Turbo came out I got the Turbo.

Now here comes the NOT INTENDED insults to people's sensibilities here (we're all PORSCHE GUYS for christ's sake!). If you're not tracking the car thru intricate track layouts and instead use it on public roads and want to burn up back roads, interstates, pass "safely" on rural highways..., anybody who loves a "point-and-shoot" feature: get the Turbo. Said it a hundred times: the only performance feature of any Porsche you can use on public highways to it's maximum is the acceleration. Otherwise you are going too slowly to miss the slight differences in 2WD and 4WD handling. I did NOT miss the dynamics of my 997S trade when I drove the Turbo home on delivery day. I went the long way home thru the back roads too. Even though I had to be careful with TT engine break in and couldn't put pedal to metal, I noticed rather quickly the HERETICALLY DESTRUCTIVE thought sneaked up on me: as far as road cars are concerned: all other Porsches are underpowered.

A buddy of mine just got a 2011 Turbo S I'm looking forward to driving, though!
You LUCKY SOB!!! I gotta wait a little before I order one.

Have FUN!!! Tell your friend don't mess around too much with any curves because the new car's suspension might be not optimal (mine wasn't). Oh, tires aren't grippy for 200 miles too. He probably knows that but a reminder is good.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I drove a turbo for many years but then went back to a Carrera S simply because I have found (1) there is plenty of power already and (2) I like the handling of the two wheel drives--and can't possibly afford a GT2.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a targa 4s now drove a Turbo last Dec ordered a Turbo S the day I could place the order last Feb. Still waiting on Turbo but I wanted (didn't need) more power. I will most likely never go back but who knows. As long as they keep building I might just keep buying.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I really enjoy my 997S but I wish I had kept my 94 3.6 turbo. A different animal from today's turbo.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

I went from '99 C2Cab to '04 C4S Cab to '09 Turbo Cab. Yes, the power is addictive. Yes, the fun factor went up with each model. No, the turbo is not a must have. I enjoy having the 4 or all wheel drive quotient (not in ice, per se, just daily thrill driving), so the latter two tripped my trigger. I went for the Turbo this time 'round as I saw it as a really nice move up the chain, and the deal was too hard to turn down. Beyond that, the C4S Cab was an absolutely perfect car for me.

Keep in mind I went from a 996 to a 996 to a 997, so the Turbo was more of a move from one model to another. The minor things about the Turbo I don't love can be tweaked (suspension), but beyond that, it's what you feel comfortable driving.

And for street driving, 350 hp is plenty.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Trending Topics

Old 11-29-2010, 04:08 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RWD rather than 4WD every time. And don't ignore the weight penalty of all that extra tech in the Turbo. It isn't what I'd call a sports car. It's a mighty GT. The C2S is too heavy as it is, but way nimbler.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Now here comes the NOT INTENDED insults to people's sensibilities here . . . the only performance feature of any Porsche you can use on public highways to it's maximum is the acceleration
As you've said a hundred times -- this has been your experience. There's no way someone could possibly be insulted as long as you're just sharing your personal experience and perspective.

However this thread makes quite clear that your experiences are not universal. Many find that they prefer the benefits of the NA cars over the benefits of the Turbo. It's certainly important for a shopper to drive both so that they can make an informed decision.

...there is no doubt that the Turbo is the pinnacle of 911 design.
Actually I don't think this is a safe statement to make at all. Even ignoring limited production rarities like the GT2 RS there are still at least fifteen different models of 911 available for sale right now. With so many options in production it's basically impossible to line them all up from "worst" to "best." Porsche makes a model of 911 to suit just about any set of preferences or priorities and the model that's the pinnacle for you could be just about any one of them.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:09 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a 997 C2S before the 997TT. You're right, they are different enough that they could be two different models, not just a trim. Depends on what floats your boat but saying the TT has too much power is ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as saying a 997 Carrera has too much power. I personally love the upgrade, but did love the C2S a lot also.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Like transmissions, there are those who swear for 6-speed and those who swear for PDK.

I am on the camp who prefers fast-revving linear NA engines. There's something special in continuously going up and down through a linear rev range.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:10 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Adias, very well put. I am going to borrow your lines whenever the turbo vs NA debate is raised. I knew exactly what I liked in the NA cars but did not know how to put it in words. Thank you. Also to the OP, a lot of people who drive the turbo will be conditioned by it's brute power and will not like anything else.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a turbo but decided to keep my older base Carrera. Overall I think the Carrera is more fun. It is much lighter in feel, has a more linear engine with no lag, sounds better, has better steering feel. The turbo is just ridiculous in terms of outright speed, cornering ability and overall traction. It feels a lot heavier to me than the 300lbs on paper. I like the narrow body carreras without the aerokit but I like the turbo with its wide body, scoops, and aerokit. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the way this forum is so polarized with those the prefer the C2S and those the prefer the Turbo.

To paraphrase a quote from another forum but applied to rennlist:
"The typical rennlist answer would be BUY BOTH and a GT3 for good measure"
Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I traded an '09 Turbo coupe for an R8 V10. I didn't care for the turbo lag. Had to keep the revs high to get the desired acceleration.

I do favor NA engines.

I added a C2S cab with PDK earlier this year, and love the instant-on power and the instant upshifts.

Not saying I wouldn't go back to a turbo some day, but if I do, it will be a PDK version.

Quick Reply: Questions for those with Turbo and Carrera experience--