Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why can't Porsche make a door that closes with a solid sound?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:51 PM
MrSelfDestruct
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Really, embarrassing?

I'd be willing to bet big money that 99% of the people out there do not give a sh## about the sound your door makes as it closes. I’m also sure there are many people out there who would be thrilled to deal with the “embarrassment” that you deal with every day.

I’d have to agree that you have too much time on your hands to be thinking of such trivial things. Either that or you have been reading the 993 board.
It's OK - you can say "****."

Personally, I think it's a silly issue but to each his own.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:02 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Bimmer is for prep-school boys, P-car is for sports cars fans. Thank goodness!

I'm speechless. People still say stuff like that? You're kidding right?

Anyway. Thanks for the LOL.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:07 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by tincanman99
All those intricacies break - ALWAYS. I am not big fan of all these little things.

I must be very lucky. Never had any problems with any of my Bimmers thru the years.

I think when the electronics started to get intense in cars - years ago - stuff fell apart.

Over the years electronics went into difficult torturous service in F16s, NASA and other serious military applications and the trickle down technology of how to make chips and components last and not break down resulted in "bulletproof" components for these everyday cars.

Just a theory. Yes you can get cheap sh*t but BMW doesn't want to do that, at least for the cars I had.

Anyway. Just taking.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:19 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
I'm speechless. People still say stuff like that? You're kidding right?

Anyway. Thanks for the LOL.

I am glad you laughed. Of course Bimmers are great cars and I am the last to put them down. But short of a hardcore M3 they are luxury cars. Luxuries and doodads fit there well. But a 911 is a sports car and should not be loaded with luxury doodads, certainly not for me. PAG slowly overloads these cars as they know many are used either for show or as executive express vehicles. But that is not the soul of the car. It adds weight, distracts from its core function and adds problems. People complain about battery parasitic losses and they forget what causes them...
Old 11-07-2010, 09:38 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,794 Likes on 2,373 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Bimmer is for prep-school boys, P-car is for sports cars fans. Thank goodness!
just dont like bmw.
rubs me wrong way.
and i had plenty of them.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:25 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I thought this thread was about door sound? I saw the subject and was going to write that I absolutely love the sound the doors make. It took a little getting used to because it is a very significant thud. I actually like it very much and it leaves me thinking it is one sturdy, armored car.

Somehow the thread turned to BMWs (which is what I come from). I was born in one and have had several of my own over the past 20 years. I loved my '87 535i and especially loved the 335i. I don't see how anyone can complain about that engine. It's magnificent.

-T
Old 11-07-2010, 10:50 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Our 6 year old, 81k Volvo XC-90 still has the same old well build door "thud" it did when it was new. To me it isn't "trivial" in any car - it's a sign of a well built one.

And yes, I'd trade it for a Cayenne in a hummingbird heartbeat if the thing wasn't paid for and bulletproof...
Old 11-07-2010, 10:52 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by tpenta
I

Somehow the thread turned to BMWs
-T
Went from door sounds of cars to

engineering door sounds into cars to

engineering other details into the cars to

how Porsche doesn't bother to put lots of nice details into cars like BMW does.

Not too far OT, huh?

Let's get back on track.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I've waited a while to see a cross section of door comments and the consenses seems to be the doors need a little more engineering.

All you guys who think your door sounds like a "vault" have obviously never been in a bank.

I'm not trying to make a huge issue of this only think that a car of this quality and price could at least have door that closes and sounds better.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:19 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenta
I thought this thread was about door sound? I saw the subject and was going to write that I absolutely love the sound the doors make. It took a little getting used to because it is a very significant thud. I actually like it very much and it leaves me thinking it is one sturdy, armored car.

Somehow the thread turned to BMWs (which is what I come from). I was born in one and have had several of my own over the past 20 years. I loved my '87 535i and especially loved the 335i. I don't see how anyone can complain about that engine. It's magnificent.

-T
+1

Love'd my seven BMWs - well not the 7th one as much - too cushy, hence the 911 now. But yes, that in-line-six was a joy. The V8 in the e39 M5, monstrous. Porsche does need to be careful of watering these cars down too much though. Let 'em do that with the Panamera.

OK, just opened closed my door for reference - seems at least as good as my 550i was, even without window frames. Although the doors are longer (2 dr vs sedan), so that affects the swing as well. Whatever, they don't feel like a Nissan or Toyota or Honda...

Last edited by stevepow; 11-08-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,432 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by tincanman99
They are far more solid than MB, Audi and BMW.
Lets be clear here and state that this is your opinion, it is not fact.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:34 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Lets be clear here and state that this is your opinion, it is not fact.
If we are heading down this road, than everything everyone in this thread is espousing is opinion , or am I wrong .

If looks like a duck and quacks like a duck than it is a duck .
Old 11-08-2010, 12:37 PM
JSeven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Really, embarrassing?

I'd be willing to bet big money that 99% of the people out there do not give a sh## about the sound your door makes as it closes. I’m also sure there are many people out there who would be thrilled to deal with the “embarrassment” that you deal with every day.

I’d have to agree that you have too much time on your hands to be thinking of such trivial things. Either that or you have been reading the 993 board.
This only shows that Jim is sensible to every aspects of owning a Porsche or any other car for that matter. For me a car is a bunch of emotions on four wheels, emotions that feed all your sences, close door sound is part of it

In my case, with window down is rock solid, window up sounds week.

J.Seven
Old 11-08-2010, 01:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
Ok, I've waited a while to see a cross section of door comments and the consenses seems to be the doors need a little more engineering.

All you guys who think your door sounds like a "vault" have obviously never been in a bank.

The consensus is that it needs work? How can you reach that conclusion?
Also... because I have been in a bank vault, I do not want my P-car to be like that. If you do not understand why...
Old 11-08-2010, 02:08 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the door is fairly solid and heavy. But I like the way the S class closes better (with the vacuum assist and without the thud--and so do my passengers).

Quick Reply: Why can't Porsche make a door that closes with a solid sound?