Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why can't Porsche make a door that closes with a solid sound?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:49 AM
nazhat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a huge difference from the 2003 996 to the 2008 997S. The 996 felt like a tin can, but the 997 is a lot more solid.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:33 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did Porsche change all 997 doors to aluminum?
Old 11-05-2010, 03:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Given this fuss I went to check. There is a difference if you close the car with the window up or fully down. That has to do with the frameless design. It also makes a difference if the other window/door is open or closed (internal pressure dff).
Old 11-05-2010, 03:34 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, now I have to go out in the garage and start slamming doors.... although right now I don't recall it sounding "tinny"
Old 11-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Taxi?
Instructor

Originally Posted by LlBr
Oh well..., at least the sex is good.
Enjoy it while it lasts!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:22 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
The darn thing sounds like a tin can! My wife's Volvo and my Toyota truck sound like a car door should. It's almost embarising to shut it in front of someone. Can anyone tell me why it would be so hard to get it right?
I noticed the same thing and it disturbes me a well!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:59 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
The darn thing sounds like a tin can! My wife's Volvo and my Toyota truck sound like a car door should. It's almost embarising to shut it in front of someone. Can anyone tell me why it would be so hard to get it right?

Really, embarrassing?

I'd be willing to bet big money that 99% of the people out there do not give a sh## about the sound your door makes as it closes. I’m also sure there are many people out there who would be thrilled to deal with the “embarrassment” that you deal with every day.

I’d have to agree that you have too much time on your hands to be thinking of such trivial things. Either that or you have been reading the 993 board.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:23 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

What's funny? I just had relatives over with a Honda Pilot SUV. Talking in the driveway before they left I started testing their door (with this thread in mind somehow).

Shutting that door gives a PERFECT "thump!" Sounds like the BEST built car I ever heard! I was shocked.

Kinda tells me if a mfgr WANTS to engineer a perfect-sounding "thump" into their door sound they can do it very cheaply. Just a thought. Might have to do with the fully framed window glass?

Very eye opening: try a Honda Pilot or similar car. I'm not sure that what a car door sounds like when it's closed shut means anything quality-wise anymore.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:20 PM
AC911
Intermediate

The sound of door closing is a thing manufacturers work on... I know for at least for MB. I've seen this documentary few years ago that MB had acoustic engineers working on the door to provide that solid sound.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:06 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 60 Posts

my impression on the matter is that the sound of our doors closing is really solid however there are units out there that need a bit of door adjustment, thats it.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:20 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

I find my 997.2 door sound to be fine, befitting the rest of the quality. The 3.2 Carrera though is totally different. Who does not recognize the solid “clunk” sound of a classic 911 door. The door operation in itself is unique and distinctive. The precise springy "click" of the squeeze lever handle and the way it opens the door so smooth and clean tells you that this car is all about sheer perfection. Shutting the door will need more than a gentle nudge. That solid push (or a pull) to close the door results in a reverberating "clack"...this is indeed the first reminder that you are about to embark in a no-nonsense automotive experience.
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2010, 06:45 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I find my 997.2 door sound to be fine, befitting the rest of the quality. The 3.2 Carrera though is totally different. Who does not recognize the solid “clunk” sound of a classic 911 door. The door operation in itself is unique and distinctive. The precise springy "click" of the squeeze lever handle and the way it opens the door so smooth and clean tells you that this car is all about sheer perfection. Shutting the door will need more than a gentle nudge. That solid push (or a pull) to close the door results in a reverberating "clack"...this is indeed the first reminder that you are about to embark in a no-nonsense automotive experience.
Yeah ... really a mistake by Porsche to not try harder to carry that over to the new gen, as it is one of those little intangibles that people always remember about the old car.

For those who pooh-pooh it, remember it's the first thing you experience when you get in your car, and then last thing you experience when you are done with a drive. Those are important moments that stick with you.

IMO the 997 gets those little things pretty right, I love the way the lock/unlock doesn't beep.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:08 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Yeah ... really a mistake by Porsche to not try harder to carry that over to the new gen, as it is one of those little intangibles that people always remember about the old car.
I agree with you but I kind of got over it. IOW, my Bimmer is waaaaay better, more thought out as far as little details are concerned (though current model door shutting sounds kind of not-luxury).

For example Porsche AC and vents are a bottom-rung kind of thing. Bimmer has bi-level and individual settings. BMW will auto-sniff ehaust gasses from the roadway and shut out outside. P-car sucks smells in with relish. Bimmer will operate windows and features in the car for as long as you remain seated after removing the key. P-car you have 30 seconds? Lots of details Porsche just "forgot" about compared to BMW.

Not a big thing but I think Porsche "hides" behind the sports car excuse for us. Never thoroughly examined how a Panamera is set up in all it's intricacies, but it better be as "ultimate" as BMW is as far as these things you brought up and we're discussing, you'd expect that. Me too.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:09 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

For example Porsche AC and vents are a bottom-rung kind of thing. Bimmer has bi-level and individual settings. BMW will auto-sniff ehaust gasses from the roadway and shut out outside. P-car sucks smells in with relish. Bimmer will operate windows and features in the car for as long as you remain seated after removing the key. P-car you have 30 seconds? Lots of details Porsche just "forgot" about compared to BMW.
Bimmer is for prep-school boys, P-car is for sports cars fans. Thank goodness!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:51 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

I agree with you but I kind of got over it. IOW, my Bimmer is waaaaay better, more thought out as far as little details are concerned (though current model door shutting sounds kind of not-luxury).

Not a big thing but I think Porsche "hides" behind the sports car excuse for us. Never thoroughly examined how a Panamera is set up in all it's intricacies, but it better be as "ultimate" as BMW is as far as these things you brought up and we're discussing, you'd expect that. Me too.
All those intricacies break - ALWAYS. I am not big fan of all these little things.

My Audi has them as well including the air sniffing thing that it will go to recycling if it smells dirt. I live in the Northeast, the bigger question is when is it not smelling dirt .

I could live without them and would never miss them.

I remember the first time I went for a ride in a newer generation 911, vintage 993 with a friend of mine. I was shocked at how solid the car was and how stiff the chassis was compared to just about anything I had ever been.

Every time I go play at the Porsche dealer I never fail to be amazed at how solid these cars are. They are far more solid than MB, Audi and BMW.

Quick Reply: Why can't Porsche make a door that closes with a solid sound?