Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Tire Excellence Article (i.e. Exce11ence)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 04:13 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Sidewalls are thin and the body ply they cover is rubber bonded to radial cords of nylon or polyester - maybe kevlar, and a thin leak proof liner is bonded to the inside of that. The "steel" in belted radials is under the tread. The sidewall of my damaged tire felt very soft and thin. Of course this is speculation, but based on reading about radial tire construction to the point that I'm done with that. Only a test will add some weight either way.
BTW, again, Kevlar fibers can be cut with scissors. If you haven't tried it - it IS a rather strange experience because we're trained from childhood to expect "string" to be easily cut with scissors. I can imagine crudely "sawing" thru them with serrated blade is even easier that scissors. I dunno. Geez! I gotta get to work!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr

If I were Bill Gates I'd grab a serrated pocket knife and head for my garage and be back in ten minutes with results. LOL.

To do this right, you need to be in the dark, in a driving rain in November, on the side of an elevated roadway, with wet cold hands.

I'd like to see how it turns out. Ok, doing it in the comfort of your garage is a good reference point, but no one wants to get bloodied and soaked by trying to cut a tire off the wheel with a non-locking swiss-army knife, so identifying the right tool to pack in our kits to do such cutting is also important.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:24 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
To do this right, you need to be in the dark, in a driving rain in November, on the side of an elevated roadway, with wet cold hands.

LOL. You got that right! Well, at least there's no need to establish a perimeter in anticipation of an ambush and firefight.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Excellence Article (i.e. Exce11ence)