Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Tire Excellence Article (i.e. Exce11ence)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:09 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
But that article also misses a big part of the issue--where do you put the take off?

That's the bigger logistical problem.
I've taken the time to mount the inflated donut tire and if it's the front tire that's flat it will fit into the back seat.. I think that if the flat is a rear tire then I'll call AAA to take the tire and wheel to the Porsche dealer and follow them in my car with the spare mounted... I'll do anything rather than be towed...
Old 11-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

I can confirm the part of the article about flat-bedding a GT3. Took me an hour to work with the tow truck driver to get the car on. I also had to find my own wood 2x4's (borrowed from truckers) or else we would not have been able to get the car on. It was a complete nightmare!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a big fan, but why don't we have run flats?
Old 11-09-2010, 08:42 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

My E39 M5 had the goop system and I was stranded/had to be towed twice with sidewall damage. A particularly annoying experience. While I can say BMW Roadside Assistance did finally find me and tow me to a dealership where I had to return the next day(Damage occured at night) to get a replacement tire mounted, the experience was not desireable. More so then waiting by the side of the road for a tire company truck, but undesireable none the less.

When I got the GT3 I considered the spare. The 996 had one, which I used for a corded tire at the track. I liked that security. I opted to get a 996 spare kit for the 997 when I got the C4. My frunk space is nearly gone and the fit is tight due to the Das Shield on the lid but I can get from the side of the road to somewhere safer!

I considered it worth the money.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 230 Posts

I previously posted a pic of a 305/19 in the back seat of my old C4S. It definitely fits in a coupe.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:46 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
How about saying it like this:

"Can I run the video camera as you attempt to cut off the old tire by slicing thru the thin, not-wire-reinforced sidewall?"

I thought we settled that in the other thread.

Conclusion is at this point nobody knows if it can be done reasonable amount of effort but several of us think it will be easy. There's no steel in sidewalls.

Just a matter of time before somebody tries it and reports back. Either way, no big deal.
They wouldn't let me cut up the front from my car - had to save it in case the warranty people wanted to see it - I doubt they will, but that's the policy. Still, I'm confident it will cut like butter with a razor.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My prior post on the emergency spare, including a pic of take off in the back seat area.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=42519
Old 11-09-2010, 12:53 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Frino
My prior post on the emergency spare, including a pic of take off in the back seat area.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=42519
Very helpful and includes the elusive Toolkit part number - although, those seem to be easily available on eBay for a considerable savings.

Maybe our kits are not aggressive enough - this one has wire to sew the sidewall Plug Kit, and I read where some (off roading) guy used 8 plugs to limp along. I only tried 6 plugs. I tell you, tenacity is a huge matter of degree.

Last edited by stevepow; 11-09-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

I thought we settled that in the other thread.

Conclusion is at this point nobody knows if it can be done reasonable amount of effort but several of us think it will be easy. There's no steel in sidewalls.
Originally Posted by stevepow
Still, I'm confident it will cut like butter with a razor.
You guys do realize that underneath the relatively thin tire sidewall there are two additional layers of rubber plus up to two body plies of fabric reinforcement, often comprised of kevlar in modern tires. While it's true the steel belts are under the tread, there has to be significant strength in the sidewall as well.

If you believe that cutting through a tire sidewall is an easy side-of-the-road operation, I think you might be surprised.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:50 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Y

If you believe that cutting through a tire sidewall is an easy side-of-the-road operation, I think you might be surprised.
I will be happy to be surprised. Either way. Just want to get to the bottom of it.

Guys who claim it's difficult are speculating.

Guys who claim it's easy are speculating.

If I were Bill Gates I'd grab a serrated pocket knife and head for my garage and be back in ten minutes with results. LOL.

If it were kevlar (is it?) yes that's difficult to cut (very weird too) but not THAT difficult (personal experience).

I dunno, soooo darn frustrating not to know!!!

Old 11-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Guys who claim it's difficult are speculating.

Guys who claim it's easy are speculating.

But speculating is what we do best around here!
Old 11-09-2010, 02:06 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
But speculating is what we do best around here!
I dunno Mike my guess is you're going to have to prove that. Then I predict your "proof" will have to be speculated upon. I'm just imagining of course. My theory is that surmising does create wonder based upon conjecture; or it that a hypothesis?
Old 11-09-2010, 03:38 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Originally Posted by rdstemler
I opted to get a 996 spare kit for the 997 when I got the C4. My frunk space is nearly gone and the fit is tight due to the Das Shield on the lid but I can get from the side of the road to somewhere safer!

I considered it worth the money.
Would you mind posting a pic of your frunk setup? I have a 2006 C4 and didn't think there was any way any kind of spare would fit in there. The previous owner also had the NAV system installed (after they bought the car), so there's even more space taken up by the NAV module.

If there was any way to put a spare up there in a 997.1 C4 with NAV, I'd love to see it, as I might do the same. Thanks!!
Old 11-09-2010, 03:46 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by csorrows

If there was any way to put a spare up there in a 997.1 C4 with NAV, I'd love to see it, as I might do the same. Thanks!!
Got the Space Saver in my 997.1 Turbo (AWD) with nav. No problem.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:07 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Sidewalls are thin and the body ply they cover is rubber bonded to radial cords of nylon or polyester - maybe kevlar, and a thin leak proof liner is bonded to the inside of that. The "steel" in belted radials is under the tread. The sidewall of my damaged tire felt very soft and thin. Of course this is speculation, but based on reading about radial tire construction to the point that I'm done with that. Only a test will add some weight either way.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Excellence Article (i.e. Exce11ence)