Sponsored by:

Spare Tire Kit for 997

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010 | 04:01 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jakes dad
Stevepow,

missed the deflated tire pic completely... Great idea!!!

Looking at the tire standing vertical and seeing the room left for storage it looks like I'll be doing the same thing...
Thank you,
Only think I am concerned about, and need to test, is can the included compressor get that tire back to 60PSI - the collapsed tire only needs 35 or so PSI. Gotta check this before letting some air out and depending on being able to refill it. However, even with mine fully inflated, I can let it rest standing up with the bottom of the tire up against the recess in the bottom of the frunk and the top of the tire leaning against that CD changer compartment door (or whatever that space is for - I have a roll of towels and glass cleaner in it). I also have the Das Shild on the hood - really a good idea to do that.
Old 11-10-2010 | 05:44 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

I can confirm that a small hand pump can get to 60psi. I used a bicycle pump to get mine inflated. As long as the car is not sitting on the under inflated tire, a hand pump or the little electric should be able to get there.

I'm going to try to deflate mine and see if it will fit standing up. My only worry is creasing the rubber/cracking, or losing the bead by keeping it flat for long periods of time.
Old 11-10-2010 | 05:48 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TerpsRED
I can confirm that a small hand pump can get to 60psi. I used a bicycle pump to get mine inflated. As long as the car is not sitting on the under inflated tire, a hand pump or the little electric should be able to get there.

I'm going to try to deflate mine and see if it will fit standing up. My only worry is creasing the rubber/cracking, or losing the bead by keeping it flat for long periods of time.
It is a pretty stiff tire and the only way I new mine was "flat" when I got it was by pressing down on it firmly, and even then I didn't realize that it had 0psi until I put a guage on it. I think it will hold shape and bead pretty well partially inflated. And it only needs to give .5 inch or so.
Old 01-05-2011 | 04:54 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LlBr
Yes, nice work.

OFF TOPIC WARNING

One thing bugs me though; closing technique. Just trying to help.

I know guys say pressing on the badge is okay. OTOH, the eye can detect miniscule irregularities on a flat reflective surface. That's why I ONLY close hood with fingertips on the extreme edge; like this picture (found below). The sheet metal on the extreme edge is crimped/welded together so it's very thick and fully supported.
Looks like you're doing it correctly. I've never heard anyone say pressing the badge is OK - here's what the manual says:
Closing luggage compartment lid and
engine compartment lid
f Lower the lid and close it.
f Push the lid closed with the palm of your hand
in the area of the lock.
Check that the lid has correctly engaged in the
lock.
Old 04-13-2011 | 12:31 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

I recently had to use my space saver spare (I have 07' 997.1 C4S & store in Frunk at a slant). Mounting & inflating went fine...this might sound obvious but... what is the technique behind deflating space saver so sidewalls "fold into themselves as they were prior to inflation?
Old 04-13-2011 | 12:40 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Musclehedz101
I recently had to use my space saver spare (I have 07' 997.1 C4S & store in Frunk at a slant). Mounting & inflating went fine...this might sound obvious but... what is the technique behind deflating space saver so sidewalls "fold into themselves as they were prior to inflation?
Space savers routinely retract into the prior shape. Simply remove the valve core, and it will do it nearly by itself.

The technique for closing the 997 trunk has changed from the days of yesteryear! Back then it was suitable to press evenly around the hoodbadge. However, with today's hoods made of aluminum, you have to be even more conservative. I gently press down below the badge to secure it.
Old 04-13-2011 | 01:06 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Space savers routinely retract into the prior shape. Simply remove the valve core, and it will do it nearly by itself.

The technique for closing the 997 trunk has changed from the days of yesteryear! Back then it was suitable to press evenly around the hoodbadge. However, with today's hoods made of aluminum, you have to be even more conservative. I gently press down below the badge to secure it.
Edgy...brother you are amazing! Thank you to the insights and excellent DIY write ups in the past here. I put several of them to good use this past weekend performing my first "annual service" (Flushed Brake lines, Changed Oil & Filter, replaced cabin filter, (Air filter is still on order) and cleaned radiators. I also installed custom mesh grills on front bumper intakes... "while I was in there".... ;-)

Thanks again for your support here, it is greatly appreciated!
Old 04-13-2011 | 01:14 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Glad to be of help to someone. It's nice that my many years of Porsche seat time are useful to others.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Kit for 997