Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Tire Kit for 997

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

I made this info video about how a Boxster/996 spare fits into a 997 trunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0wanzSCfs8

hope some find it helpful
Old 11-03-2010, 10:10 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was covered already? The reason Porsche didn't put a spare in the 911 was because of the lack of space to put your bad tire in. Sure there would be room for a spare, but there is no room for that giant rear wheel that is flat.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:23 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

hahaha now that is the reason why. texas 911 you hit it right on the noggin
Old 11-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Front or rear tire fits in front or rear seat. I don't see a problem, unless I have 4 passengers in the car, which absolutely never happens
Old 11-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Sometimes I have my two older boys in the back, and sometimes, the wife or someone else (ex work buddy for lunch) in the front. Never have front and back occupied at the same time
Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 AM
tincanman99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a Boxster or Cayman I could see this being a problem as the inside is tighter but in the 911 it shouldnt be.

Just carry those big industrial garbage bags so you dont get dirt all over the interior.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:33 AM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

re front nail- i noticed one in my front tire at 1100 miles! I was going to get it fixed but never lost pressure- the head fell off but the spike stayed- i watched it until i had new PS2 's at 11k miles. the nail was through and through but never caused a problem.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:52 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack667
I made this info video about how a Boxster/996 spare fits into a 997 trunk.
hope some find it helpful
I did - watched your video, then pulled the trigger on the spare kit.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Front or rear tire fits in front or rear seat. I don't see a problem, unless I have 4 passengers in the car, which absolutely never happens
Problem is not hard to see.

Scenario where spare is important: traveling out of town.

Conditions:

- spare is in trunk, minimal luggage area
- two passengers in car
- luggage in rear seats/deck - necessitated due to traveling out of town.

The problem scenarios, unless you only use the car as a personal around-town toy, are pretty easy to imagine...once you consider beyond a very limited scope of usage.

For some (maybe many), I gather it is not an issue - the car is just a weekend toy and not used for serious transportation. I'm trying to make it work on a different level, more reliably.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:00 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
I thought it was covered already? The reason Porsche didn't put a spare in the 911 was because of the lack of space to put your bad tire in. Sure there would be room for a spare, but there is no room for that giant rear wheel that is flat.
Here're some pictures resolving Porsche's "Spare Policy" questions. No big deal.

One shows Porsche's spare which they sell WITH the car in countries requiring a spare; also "proves" Porsche knows flats will fit in back seat too.

Other one shows flat tire in back seat in a bag; shows where flat will fit.

Stuuuupid not to have a spare. Porsche tried to get away with it with USA buyers and SUCCEEDED! (kidding)

BTW see this current RL 997 thread on cutting tire off wheel to make more room:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ry-long-4.html
Attached Images   
Old 11-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevepow
Problem is not hard to see.

Scenario where spare is important: traveling out of town.

Conditions:

- spare is in trunk, minimal luggage area
- two passengers in car
- luggage in rear seats/deck - necessitated due to traveling out of town.

The problem scenarios, unless you only use the car as a personal around-town toy, are pretty easy to imagine...once you consider beyond a very limited scope of usage.

For some (maybe many), I gather it is not an issue - the car is just a weekend toy and not used for serious transportation. I'm trying to make it work on a different level, more reliably.
I took my car and the wife on a weekend trip to FL. We may do it again. My thought is that I don't pack the car to the rafters, and i would have some space in an emergency (ie a flat). I could see a duffle bag, etc in the front with the passenger. Uncomfortable? Absolutely, but at least we'd be on our way with minimal hassle. Maybe stuff would be packed up into the rear deck, over the rear seats. Safety issue not being able to see out the back window? Sure, but I can use my side mirrors...
The point is - even traveling, I figure I'm industrious enough to figure something out.

***Keep in mind that the spare takes up a ton of room up front. If the spare goes on, and a flat goes in the back, then there's new room up front. I didn't have the spare for that aforementioned trip, so I was able to put two full-sized roller-bags and then some extra stuff up front.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

btw - glad the video helped!
thanks
jack
Old 11-03-2010, 02:04 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

I took my car and the wife on a weekend trip to FL. We may do it again. My thought is that I don't pack the car to the rafters, and i would have some space in an emergency (ie a flat). I could see a duffle bag, etc in the front with the passenger. Uncomfortable? Absolutely, but at least we'd be on our way with minimal hassle. Maybe stuff would be packed up into the rear deck, over the rear seats. Safety issue not being able to see out the back window? Sure, but I can use my side mirrors...
The point is - even traveling, I figure I'm industrious enough to figure something out.

***Keep in mind that the spare takes up a ton of room up front. If the spare goes on, and a flat goes in the back, then there's new room up front. I didn't have the spare for that aforementioned trip, so I was able to put two full-sized roller-bags and then some extra stuff up front.
Very good points - and thanks again for sharing. Yes, a freed up Frunk would be a storage boon I hadn't considered. This spare thing is not sounding so bad now. Makes me wonder why we have to be more clever than a German Automobile Engineering company. WTF is happening to Germany?
Old 11-03-2010, 02:27 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

btw - glad the video helped!
thanks
jack
Yes, nice work.

OFF TOPIC WARNING

One thing bugs me though; closing technique. Just trying to help.

I know guys say pressing on the badge is okay. OTOH, the eye can detect miniscule irregularities on a flat reflective surface. That's why I ONLY close hood with fingertips on the extreme edge; like this picture (found below). The sheet metal on the extreme edge is crimped/welded together so it's very thick and fully supported.
Attached Images   
Old 11-03-2010, 05:09 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Got a pic? that sounds like the wall that hides the Bose amp. I pulled that 8" hi 1.5" wide wall and used it for basement closet decoration.

It would surprise me if they changed the steel from 997.1 to 997.2 without a good reason.
Thanks for prodding me along - glad I looked more closely:

What is behind the pump and goop holder, and now exposed liner, is nothing but metal - no amp. I think I saw where cars with Dynamic Cornering Lights have a control module attached in the space where the frunk liner is open (A and B). Both of those screws are capped, but I removed one of the caps on A for the photo. There are also screws coming through the metal off to the left and right of A and B, not capped but covered by the frunk liner - the bump is visible to the left of A.

The distance from the back to the front of the frunk is just 20.75 inches and we need 21in. If there is any give in the tire, it should fit. The distance D between B and C (another cap covering as similar screw coming through) is 7 inches. If the spare is less than 7 inches wide, it will fit between the screws.

I don't know what those screws are for - attaching some option or holding the car together. Probably the later; either way, best to leave them as they are.

So on a car like mine, all that may be required is to relocate the pump, goop, and tools - make an optional handy false floor for the frunk and stuff the tire under it.

Owners of these collapsed spare tires, can you check to verify a 6inch width and that there's a 1/4 inch give in the diameter?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Kit for 997